HAL is my new favorite!

LDinCT

Just back from the Zaandam, had an incredible time. Have been on RCI(6), Celebrity, DCL(2) and NCL, this was my first time on HAL and it was great.

Pros-

it was very quiet, no yelling, crying etc in the halls at night

very quiet around the pool

always a free deck chair

Great service

the SOE upgrades, beds were wonderful (need a new pillow now)

Explorations- great books and movies

dining

itinerary/ports

passengers were nice, didn't hear a lot of complaining

10 days of sun (well it drizzled in CR, but that was ok because I signed up for mountain biking, so it was good it wasn't hot)

HMC is fantastic (get a clamshell)

staff- waiters, room stewards, etc

minor minuses

-kids program for 8-12, traveling with a 12 year old, age ranges are too broad. Also program ends at 10 PM, RCI tends to go later for 12-14 range, until 12. We had late seating so that pretty much means if you eat with your parents you are not going to be able to participate. That said, he had a great time anyway, he ate in the LIDO or came with us to the pinnacle.

-pinnacle, ok, not the best of the alternative rests. Of course we ate there like 4 times, so we could eat with our son. Service was good, food was a little boring. Of course, we were raving about it the first night!

That's it, I can't think of anything else.

Wasn't able to upgrade to a balcony for any amount of $$$. I was a little freaked out about spending 10 days in a large outside, but it was quite nice. Plus we were really low and forward on deck 2. It was cool, you'd see the spray from the waves when we were cruising. My son would sit up on the window ledge reading.

Would really like to go back on the Zaandam when she visits Alaska this summer.

LDinCT

glad to hear you enjoyed your first HAL cruise! We sailed on the Zaandam in 12/03, and we loved it. We're excited because our next cruise is on the Volendam--we enjoy the "smaller" HAL ships more than the Vista class.

We agree about the Pinnacle--for us it wasn't that exciting. We enjoy the main dining room more.

Great review!:D

LD

glad you liked the Zaandam, she is a beautiful ship. I sailed on her to Alaska 2 years ago and will be on her to Hawaii in November.

You now know what many of us have felt for a long time:

you can't beat those dam ships.

Hi LD:

I'm also from CT and will be cruising on HAL for the first time. We have cruised on RCL, Celebrity and Costa, so thanks for the wonderful review of HAL. We leave on April 9th on the Westerdam and two weeks from today we will be in our clamshell on HMC.

Thanks again,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, and took the time to post so.

If all goes as planned I'll be on the Zaandam to Hawaii in October---that will complete my set of R-class ships.

Ruth-

We very much enjoyed the Zaandam, I know you will too! After all, she is the ship designed around music!:cool:

Archived