MSC Seaside SR1 Suite (Fantastica) vs. Aurea Balcony

tidje

We booked our cruise on the MSC Seaside (our first cruise with MSC) and were booked for a balcony on the 15 deck. I saw that today, they "upgraded me" to an SR1 Suite on deck 9 (9208). 
I was going to try to bid to upgrade to an aurea suite becasue I'm thinking of buying the spa package if not. I like the idea of having aurea perks for once. (I'm turning 50 on this cruise and want to do something special.) I was a bit bummed because I realized my NCL gold was only matched to silver, so I don't get the hour of thermal spa or free birthday cake. (I don't eat much sugar anyway).
But, yeah- I like the thought of being able to eat when we like (used to NCL), having bathrobes, and spa access... but not sure about the room.
I'm wanting to bid on the lower tier of aurea so as not to spend a fortune extra---
It's an Aurea balcony on the 9th deck.
I'm booked for an SR1 suite on the 9th now. Would that actually be a downgrade other than for the experience?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posted (edited)

In the past MSC has not included any of the Aurea perks when you are given a complimentary upgrade, it usually is the cabin only. Some have reported getting the My Choice dining but it's not a guarantee.   All of the Aurea perks are included when you win an upgrade bid.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

You have been assigned a very good Aurea suite.  If you bid and win there is not much to move up to but the ones with a whirlpool tub on the balcony.  Even if you win, you will be considered Fantastica.  You might still get some Aurea perks, and would certainly have My Choice dining.  I know because I won bids to Aurea from Fantastica last August on Seaside.  EM

• Like 1

hmmm. Interesing. Thank you so much. I think I'll just keep the suite and buy a spa package. We liked the freestyle dinner choice with NCL, but not worth downgrading cabins for aurea- and less for not for sure aurea. 

23 hours ago, tidje said:

We booked our cruise on the MSC Seaside (our first cruise with MSC) and were booked for a balcony on the 15 deck. I saw that today, they "upgraded me" to an SR1 Suite on deck 9 (9208). 

Did you book Fantastica experience and pick your cabin on deck 15?  Or did you book a guarantee and were assigned the deck 15 cabin?  I'd be a bit surprised they would change a cabin you selected, even for a free "upgrade".

@Até We booked a specific balcony (15191). Actually, we're close to the cruise date, so when I was booking, we were reserving a balcony on the 14th deck and it was taken by a travel agency while I was on the phone with my agent. She reserved my cabin on the 15th deck for around 60 Euros more.
We were surprised too... When we were thinking of upgrading, we kind of liked the idea of being on deck 15 as my son is 13 and I think he'd like being near the pool. We were looking to go on a smaller ship for the Greek Isles, but booked this one instead because it's a larger ship with more for him to do. (I generally prefer smaller ships, but last time we went in spetember and there were few kids in the club and that was a bummer for him. He LOVES cruising!) I wasn't sure I liked the idea of moving to right above the buffet to a balcony that jets out slightly, especially since some say this is the smoking area. My husband doesn't like the idea of having everyone above looking down on us either. It looks to be quite a bit larger than a general room, though, as it's right by the whirlpool balcony room along the diagonal part.
In the end, I got yet another offer to upgrade- this time only for the Yacht Club deluxe suite- and this time for quite a bit less as I'm moving from a technically aurea suite. In fact, the highest they'll let me bid is lower than the lowest bid from my old cabin. (If that makes sense.)
So, I decided to go crazy and put in a bid for it. Normally I wouldn't do it, but I'm turning 50 on this cruise and figured "why not?!?!" 😉
We'll see-We were thinking of getting basic wifi, and a thermal spa package, and the key card bracelets anyway- so I was going to have to pay more anyway. Obviously, this is quite a bit more, but we really don't like crowded eating and the main dining room on this ship looks overpacked. 
Now for the nervous waiting to see if they accept our bid. hahahaha
It took me forever to decide whether or not it was worth bidding and now I really wanna win. 

• Thanks 1

I should add that I made a screenshot of the bidding page and it specifically stated that you WILL get all of the yacht club or aurea perks if you win your bid for those higher categories.
Before making my bid, I specifically called and asked the agent why I was hearing mixed responses about that, and he said that you should check on when each person did whatever they did because THIS year at this time, all the included perks for the category are included in a winning bid- as long as you are paying for that upgrade (as you are in the bidding program). 

If you have a complementary upgrade as we originally had, you don't get any of the perks of the experience. 
I, of course, am keeping my screenshot, just in case... hahahaha 
But, yes, it sounds like in the past, that may not have always been the case. 

It's pretty unusual for MSC to move you from a selected cabin. 

Back when MSC first started the upgrade bidding process it wasn't clear that Aurea and Yacht Club bids got the associated perks but pretty quickly they amended the Terms to clarify you do get all the perks.   It's the complimentary upgrades like you received that usually don't, with exceptions for YC.

Here's the current T&C's that may be of use.

https://upg.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC