MSC for families?

Jlk88

My husband and I, our 3 kids (will be 9, 7, 3.5 at time of travel) and my mom are currently booked on a 6 night Royal Caribbean cruise in March in 2 Oceanview cabins. We've been debating cancelling it because it is supposed to call in Labadee-aka we will probably get stuck with another Sea Day, Nassau, or more time in Falmouth...

I priced out the MSC seashore also for 2 Oceanview cabins, the same exact week but for 7 nights. Overnight Ocean Cay, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. The switch would save us $1,300. That's a huge savings.

I've seen a lot of negative reviews, but the kid pirate ship area and water slides look really cool, and the kids clubs also look decent. All 3 of us adults are happy with a book poolside during sea days, I just want there to be enough for the kids to enjoy.

My husband and I have cruised 4 times on Carnival (once with the older kids as toddlers) and once on Royal. My mom has cruised once on Carnival. The biggest concerning thing I have read in reviews is the lack of available free food options compared to other cruise lines. Thoughts?

MSC groups all of their free food in the Marketplace buffet, or in the MDR and there is almost always an area of the buffet that is open.  On Ocean Cay all of the food is free except the Lighthouse Bar and the one seafood food truck.  You can do the beach for free unless you want to rent umbrellas or floating devices.  I don’t have children but I did a Live From thread on the June 30 cruise of Seashore.  It may be back to page three by now, but it starts Below the Salt…I included all the kids menus and the daily activity sheets.  EM

• Like 1

Here's a video of Seashore. I jumped ahead to parts that you might like. 

There is plenty for children on the ship. My 2 were about the age of your older children the first time that we sailed Seashore and we have continued to sail Seashore/Seascape as they have gotten older. 

The "experience" (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club) chosen when booking does make a difference and reviews often reflect those differences. It's important to know what each experience has and what it doesn't have. 

Feel free to ask any questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

MSC groups all of their free food in the Marketplace buffet, or in the MDR and there is almost always an area of the buffet that is open.  On Ocean Cay all of the food is free except the Lighthouse Bar and the one seafood food truck.  You can do the beach for free unless you want to rent umbrellas or floating devices.  I don’t have children but I did a Live From thread on the June 30 cruise of Seashore.  It may be back to page three by now, but it starts Below the Salt…I included all the kids menus and the daily activity sheets.  EM

Thank you, I will look for it!

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Here's a video of Seashore. I jumped ahead to parts that you might like. 

There is plenty for children on the ship. My 2 were about the age of your older children the first time that we sailed Seashore and we have continued to sail Seashore/Seascape as they have gotten older. 

The "experience" (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club) chosen when booking does make a difference and reviews often reflect those differences. It's important to know what each experience has and what it doesn't have. 

Feel free to ask any questions. 

Thank you! It does look like the pool areas are much nicer and better laid out than the Carnival ships I have been on.

We would be booking Fantastica in order to choose our rooms next to each other. It's actually the only option provided for the 4 person room and only a small upcharge for the 2 person room. Yacht club is too pricey, and I didn't see the Aurea option. 

We have done several MSC Cruises with our family.  The first time the grandkids were two 8-year olds and one 2 year old on the Seaview.  The next time, they were 10 and four on the Divina and last year on the World Europe, they were 11 and five.  On all cruises they had a wonderful time.  There were waterslides for the two older twins and they all loved the pools.  The menus were geared to their tastes (one of the twins has a very sophisticated pallette and was very happy she could get mussels while the youngest probably ate cheeseburgers at every meal!)  

Essiesmom did post the current kids menus which is helpful and will give your kids an idea of what types of food they can get.  We really feel that MSC is a very good multigenerational cruise line.    

• Like 1

We sailed on the Seaside last year (YC), and we will be trying out the Seashore next month. The kids were 5 and 7 last year and loved the cruise so much that they demanded another cruise this year. They liked the kids club, and they loved being spoiled, Italian style, at the YC restaurant with daily housemade pasta at lunch and dinner and delicious pizza from the main buffet (or room service). MSC might not have a carousel, but it does have an arcade and waterslides and pools, and most kids will be pretty happy with that.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 11:17 PM, Jlk88 said:

Thank you! It does look like the pool areas are much nicer and better laid out than the Carnival ships I have been on.

We would be booking Fantastica in order to choose our rooms next to each other. It's actually the only option provided for the 4 person room and only a small upcharge for the 2 person room. Yacht club is too pricey, and I didn't see the Aurea option. 

I don't have children, but I befriended several parents on my last MSC Cruises voyage, on the Meraviglia. Their kids loved the kids club, the activities, the special section of the buffet, and the food in the MDR for dinner. That ship also was Lego themed for the kids club, which is awesome! (Why don't they have an adult Lego area?!?!?)

Regarding the Aurea experience, I believe that is only for balcony or suite rooms. We did the Fantastica experience and were very pleased.

our now 11 year old didn't stop talking about his first cruise last summer.  He loved it so much.  He spent most of his time at the water park and water slides and he absolutely loved the buffet.

We're on again in 40 days and now he's switched from talking non-stop about the last cruise to talking about the upcoming one.