In order to avoid mini bar charge issues, why does Celebrity not just empty them and leave them empty.  The annoyance of having to call after disembarkation when you have erroneously been charge is a pain.  Plus this would eliminate the stewards to having to check on items or clear them out when requested.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

As part of the Celebrity service standard, each stateroom includes a fully stocked mini bar to ensure these items are as accessible as possible for our guests. If you let your stateroom attendant know at the beginning of your voyage you would like to clear the items out to avoid any cost confusions at the end of your voyage, they are happy to do so.

• Like 2

On that note, why aren't those mini bar "fridges" cold? Certainly not really cool enough to keep medication at a safe temperature. 

The last two Celebrity cruises contained a small mini bar charge against our account when we took NOTHING out!  Not worth the fight for $10-$20 when this happens, but it seems to risky to ask everything to be removed unless we had some sort of receipt or proof that it was voluntarily cleared..  If we ask them to remove everything in the mini bar, I can just imagine that we could be charged for the whole mini bar contents when we leave the ship, when everything is replaced.

50 minutes ago, Oren said:

I can just imagine that we could be charged for the whole mini bar contents when we leave the ship, when everything is replaced.

We have done this in the past and have never had an issue with it.  I think you may be giving far much weight to something that has happened so very infrequently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oren said:

The last two Celebrity cruises contained a small mini bar charge against our account when we took NOTHING out!  Not worth the fight for $10-$20 when this happens, but it seems to risky to ask everything to be removed unless we had some sort of receipt or proof that it was voluntarily cleared..  If we ask them to remove everything in the mini bar, I can just imagine that we could be charged for the whole mini bar contents when we leave the ship, when everything is replaced.

Our last two Celebrity cruises we too had charges.  The first one I didn’t worry about as we had some OBC, the second one was a different story.  We had a $62 charge and we had not used anything.  Took a full month, two calls from me and one from our TA to get this resolved because they forgot to post the refund.  And yes, we had asked for items to be removed, not sure what happened.

snow bunny

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2024 at 8:01 PM, snow bunny said:

Our last two Celebrity cruises we too had charges.  The first one I didn’t worry about as we had some OBC, the second one was a different story.  We had a $62 charge and we had not used anything.  Took a full month, two calls from me and one from our TA to get this resolved because they forgot to post the refund.  And yes, we had asked for items to be removed, not sure what happened.

snow bunny

This can be avoided by checking your account daily. Any charge that appears you know is not correct address it at that moment. I found they usually take care of it before you get off the ship. I have heard of many who get unexpected and incorrect charges to your onboard account. And many because they don't know it is not a part of their cruise fare. I think when you go up to ANY counter and request something you should be told, this will be extra. Not just serve guest to then realize later they have this charge to the account. BE TRANSPARENT!

15 minutes ago, GinSil said:

This can be avoided by checking your account daily. Any charge that appears you know is not correct address it at that moment. I found they usually take care of it before you get off the ship. I have heard of many who get unexpected and incorrect charges to your onboard account. And many because they don't know it is not a part of their cruise fare. I think when you go up to ANY counter and request something you should be told, this will be extra. Not just serve guest to then realize later they have this charge to the account. BE TRANSPARENT!

In many cases the charges appear after one leaves the ship after the room attendant checks the fridge.  Our last two Celebrity cruises this has occurred due to erroneous mini bar charges, even after confirming right before disembarking that my balance was zero.  One I discovered while at the airport and the second one after I landed back in Canada.  Hence my question of having the fridges emptied prior to boarding. I think what Celebrity should do is have an option somewhere where a cruiser can request the mini bar be filled prior to boarding.  Then those of us who never utilize this would not have to be concerned about erroneous charges, plus it would free up some time for the room steward.

snowbunny