Trade Routes of the Middle Ages: Bergen to Barcelona. Port side vs. Starboard side (+ misc cabin questions)

nikitty

Hello!

We are sailing on August 31st on the Saturn from Bergen to Barcelona and are excited about taking our first Viking cruise!

We are on currently in a cabin on the starboard side of the ship and I'm worried we won't see much of anything since the side facing land seems to be mostly on the port side so so were hoping to change cabins. 

At the time, that was all that was available but there are a couple that have popped up on the port side but both are by the elevator and could be noisy.
I obviously want to have nice views from our cabin but don't want to lose sleep either. 
🤔  

I did ask in this this thread about the noise but didn't want to hijack that post so I thought I'd create a new one. Sorry if I'm repeating the question but thought people might miss it otherwise as I'm very curious to hear people's thoughts about port side vs. starboard side.

I'm attaching a picture and by the looks of it, the port side looks like there would be more opportunity to see the land facing side but am hearing that the starboard side is good as well.  Can anyone who has done this itinerary starting in Bergen weigh in on their thoughts?  (I added the arrows for my mom so she could better see the route.)

Also, we have never sailed on Viking so not really sure what to expect. We usually sail on larger ships like Celebrity or Princess and book near the middle as I get seasick. I also have to have a forward facing cabin as I can't travel backwards - even on trains or I get motion sickness.  Does being closer to the front have any affect since this is a smaller ship? Or is it worse on a smaller ship?

trade routes map.JPG

I’m going on same cruise but the reverse route. I did choose the starboard side (land side on the reverse direction) for that same reason. I think it’s so dependent on what one likes. Wide expansive ocean views for land that’s semi within view. Honestly, I went with the “land view” side because it was also the cabin I wanted which was the most important. I’m not going till May 2025 so I’ll be anxious to hear about your trip!!

• Like 2

I can definitely post and update you after our cruise!  Hoping some people who have taken the Bergen - Barcelona can weigh in as I was pretty sure the port side was a no brainer, but now I am not so sure, hence my post. 😂 

I think land facing is always more interesting than just seeing water as we will get enough of that during the trip when we are sailing!

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, nikitty said:

I can definitely post and update you after our cruise!  Hoping some people who have taken the Bergen - Barcelona can weigh in as I was pretty sure the port side was a no brainer, but now I am not so sure, hence my post. 😂 

I think land facing is always more interesting than just seeing water as we will get enough of that during the trip when we are sailing!

nikitty -

I posted this regarding the same question on the other thread you asked it on.  I think you are over analyzing this.   Apparently my having been on 19 Viking cruises and this route twice doesn't mean anything.  

I assure you that no matter WHAT the map says, that isn't the exact route the Captain follows.  The ships usually go straight out to the shipping lanes from port and come back into port the same way.  Those who believe on this cruise that you will be viewing land from your port balcony are going to be disappointed.  The best views will come from entering leaving ports.  Once you are about 20 to 25 miles out, you really don't see anything except ocean on this route - with some exceptions that I detailed.

I stand by my views that if you are worried about not seeing anything on a good starboard room versus not seeing much on a bad elevator port room, I would 100% choose starboard.

The two sides - for this itinerary - are a toss up.  In the end I'd also choose starboard over port in general as most of the ports Viking docks on starboard side (not all), so you get to see them maneuver and tie up, and can tell when the gangway is out, etc.

I don't know what else to tell you - but it appears you are hoping someone will confirm you portside bias.   I do hope you enjoy the trip - which I'm sure you will do no matter which side you choose.  

Post from other thread:

nikitty -

Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed the Trade Routes - went from Barcelona to Bergen arriving May 25, I have a pretty good feel for what the ports and views were.  To me it is one of the most underrated and best value cruises on Viking!  (compared to the popular Mediterranean, Homelands, and British Explorer cruises which are nice but much more expensive).

Regarding viewing, you really don't see much when cruising until you start reaching the ports themselves.  Even then, we would go to Explorers Lounge outside or up on Deck 8 to watch us pull into or out of port rather than sit on our balcony.  However - here is a summary of the ports in the order you will be taking.  Many have the port entry view best for one side entering and best on the other side leaving - so it's a toss up.

Bergen:  beautiful to sail out of between the islands.  Port and Starboard both nice.  watch the city from the fantail and/or the approach to open sea from the front.

Amsterdam:  you sail in via the locks (if you are going to central Amsterdam, which at some point will be stopped for cruise ships).  Either side fine, but starboard side sees the city on the right hand side heading in.  

Zeebrugges:  Industrial port - no real views from either side

Hornfluer (we did not dock at LeHavre):  You come from the ocean and up the Rouen River.  Nice view of the city and dock from starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Portsmouth UK:  You'll come down the coast from the white cliffs with views on starboard side.  Entry into the Portsmouth area has best views on starboard side. Reverse upon leaving.

Falmouth UK:  You'll go along the UK coast at night.  Great views on starboard side entering the tiny port.  Reverse upon leaving.

Porto:  You come right from the open ocean into the smaller somewhat industrial port town of Lexioes (a bit of a ways from actual Porto).  Starboard side actually had better views.

Going down the coast and around to Spain - you are too far away to see much.

Malaga:  entering port, great views on Starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Cartagena:  entering port, great views on either side. Reverse upon leaving.

Barcelona:  entering port, best views on Starboard side.

So I would have to say, staying on Starboard for you is definitely best.

Hoping this helps!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mlb4chris said:

I’m going on same cruise but the reverse route. I did choose the starboard side (land side on the reverse direction) for that same reason. I think it’s so dependent on what one likes. Wide expansive ocean views for land that’s semi within view. Honestly, I went with the “land view” side because it was also the cabin I wanted which was the most important. I’m not going till May 2025 so I’ll be anxious to hear about your trip!!

Hi Mlb4chris - I hate to burst the bubble for a fellow SLO County person and fellow wine lover, but on this itinerary, which we just finished for the 2nd time, you will not see much land if anything during the journey - mostly just entering / leaving port.   Plus you have to consider, are you going to be in your room watching the whole day, or out and about, where you can anything from any side.

This May we were on Starboard side.  I can categorically tell you we could barely see Spain through the haze and distance (25 miles out), as well as Portugal.  You really couldn't even tell there was any land there.  The coast of England was visible on the port side as we headed from Falmouth to Portsmouth, before it got dark.  Didn't see anything coming to France until you get close to port, same for Zeebruges.  Amsterdam you get the canal from both sides with starboard being best views of the city.  Didn't see any land from there through the North Sea until arriving in Bergen.

No doubt for some itineries the port or starboard side does make a difference, but not this one.  My opinions of course.

Picking the cabin you want is indeed the most important thing!  Fantastic trip and itinerary!

Have a great time!

Kent

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Mlb4chris - I hate to burst the bubble for a fellow SLO County person and fellow wine lover, but on this itinerary, which we just finished for the 2nd time, you will not see much land if anything during the journey - mostly just entering / leaving port.   Plus you have to consider, are you going to be in your room watching the whole day, or out and about, where you can anything from any side.

This May we were on Starboard side.  I can categorically tell you we could barely see Spain through the haze and distance (25 miles out), as well as Portugal.  You really couldn't even tell there was any land there.  The coast of England was visible on the port side as we headed from Falmouth to Portsmouth, before it got dark.  Didn't see anything coming to France until you get close to port, same for Zeebruges.  Amsterdam you get the canal from both sides with starboard being best views of the city.  Didn't see any land from there through the North Sea until arriving in Bergen.

No doubt for some itineries the port or starboard side does make a difference, but not this one.  My opinions of course.

Picking the cabin you want is indeed the most important thing!  Fantastic trip and itinerary!

Have a great time!

Kent

lol CC, I was just reading your pasted copy and wondering how I missed that great port info when you originally posted!!  I agree, the best views are in and out of ports tho I usually miss the early morning entries😴. The only requirement I had for my cabin was a slider (as opposed to a door). This cruise seems to book super fast so and very little was available. Booked 5097 since every other PV was in the bow. Seems like a nice room, fingers crossed but I’m pretty it has a door. Thanks for re-posting that info👏🏻

5 minutes ago, Mlb4chris said:

lol CC, I was just reading your pasted copy and wondering how I missed that great port info when you originally posted!!  I agree, the best views are in and out of ports tho I usually miss the early morning entries😴. The only requirement I had for my cabin was a slider (as opposed to a door). This cruise seems to book super fast so and very little was available. Booked 5097 since every other PV was in the bow. Seems like a nice room, fingers crossed but I’m pretty it has a door. Thanks for re-posting that info👏🏻

Thx!  You'll really enjoy this cruise!  

Yes - 5097 is a slider for PV.  Here is a picture I captured that showed sliders/doors rooms.

PVSlidersDoorrooms-VikingSlide.thumb.JPG.9bea6cbc6964c1cc34cb7e2104b476ac.JPG

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Thx!  You'll really enjoy this cruise!  

Yes - 5097 is a slider for PV.  Here is a picture I captured that showed sliders/doors rooms.

PVSlidersDoorrooms-VikingSlide.thumb.JPG.9bea6cbc6964c1cc34cb7e2104b476ac.JPG

I’ve never seen that page before! Every time I go on the Viking website or MVJ, I find a new page. I’ll look for that. You are a wealth of info

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I don't know what else to tell you - but it appears you are hoping someone will confirm you portside bias.   I do hope you enjoy the trip - which I'm sure you will do no matter which side you choose.  

Apologies.  As I mentioned in my previous post in that thread, I didn't want to hijack that existing thread that was related to elevator noise so I thought it best to start a new one as my question was off topic.

I hope I didn't offend you by starting a new post or imply that I was doubting you.

I would hope that all comments are welcome and the matter isn't closed after one reply.  Especially since you mentioned you went the opposite direction (Barcelona to Bergen) 

Since we are starting in Bergen, I thought that would make a difference since the ship is coming from a different direction, and the starboard side would seem to be preferred for that route.  

Also - I notice that you docked in Hornfluer.  I wonder why they chose this over LeHavre. I would have definitely preferred Hornfluer as we were planning to go to Monet's Garden. 🤠  

Edited by nikitty
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, nikitty said:

Especially since you mentioned you went the opposite direction (Barcelona to Bergen) 

@nikitty If you’d read Kent’s replies carefully, you’ll see he’s been on this cruise itinerary twice.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

@nikitty If you’d read Kent’s replies carefully, you’ll see he’s been on this cruise itinerary twice.

@LindaS272 I did read his post carefully and I see that he mentioned he went on this route twice in the thread that I created after I already posted 

I already mentioned that I would be starting a new post in the previous thread and was fully transparent about my intentions as the previous post was about elevators and I didn't want to hijack, or have my question not seen because of the thread topic.

I also asked which direction he started from and he said he started in the opposite direction from Barcelona to Bergen.  I would love to hear from people who have taken the route starting in Bergen as well who can offer their experience as well.  That seems to be an issue for some reason and I'm not sure why?

Apologies again.  I actually thought I was being polite as I didn't want to add an off topic question to the mix.

My mother has mobility issues so being out and about at all times isn't an option for us.  I was hoping to ensure she has the best experience and am doing my due diligence without trying to offend anyone or questioning the information that they offer.  

Edited by nikitty
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, nikitty said:

@LindaS272 I did read his post carefully and I see that he mentioned he went on this route twice in the thread that I created after I already posted 

I already mentioned that I would be starting a new post in the previous thread and was fully transparent about my intentions as the previous post was about elevators and I didn't want to hijack, or have my question not seen because of the thread topic.

I also asked which direction he started from and he said he started in the opposite direction from Barcelona to Bergen.  I would love to hear from people who have taken the route starting in Bergen as well who can offer their experience as well.  That seems to be an issue for some reason and I'm not sure why?

I actually thought I was being polite as I didn't want to add an off topic question to the mix.

My mother has mobility issues so being out and about at all times isn't an option for us.  I was hoping to ensure she has the best experience and am doing my due diligence without trying to offend anyone or questioning the information that they offer.  

We have done this cruise from Bergen to Barcelona, and what CCWineLover posted applies for both directions.  We were on the starboard side, 5049 if I remember correctly.  
One of the things I realized is that if you miss a view from one direction, you’ll catch it from the other.  We sailed into Sydney Harbor at sunrise, and the Opera House was spectacular from our balcony.  We sailed out of Sydney harbor at sunset and watched the sail out from the sun deck.  It was equally so.
I have probably spent equal amount of sailing days on both sides of the ship.  Our first world cruise was on the port side.  So will our second one.  All other cruises (save our first….4110, and second 5049) were in PV 5089-5095.  I like watching us cast off, and it’s usually on starboard side.  But once you are on the ocean, you really don’t see much land, only water.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks that's really great info to know!

My mom has mobility issues and sailouts can sometimes be an issue on public decks as it can get crowded, with no place to sit.

One time she went to sit down and a couple came up and demanded that she move as she was in "their spot."  My mom is a senior and was using a cane so it was quite shocking.   

At any rate, if she can sit in the room on the balcony and view the scenery, that is preferred but if we go to a public deck, hopefully Viking has places that she can sit if she needs to. 😊

1 hour ago, nikitty said:

One time she went to sit down and a couple came up and demanded that she move as she was in "their spot."  My mom is a senior and was using a cane so it was quite shocking.   

I went on one Princess cruise in 2016. I was holding my wife’s seat for a small show while she went to the ladies room when a very drunk woman wanted that seat (there were others available nearby). We just left the scene she was creating - and have cruised Viking ocean and river exclusively since then. Your mom will be fine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

I went on one Princess cruise in 2016. I was holding my wife’s seat for a small show while she went to the ladies room when a very drunk woman wanted that seat (there were others available nearby). We just left the scene she was creating - and have cruised Viking ocean and river exclusively since then. Your mom will be fine.

I think our incident happened on Princess as well!  Your story reminded me of a lady swooping in on a cruise we were on last year. She bolted to get to a set of chairs that I was walking up to where a band was playing. She dove into the seat while I was literally about to sit down.  She was very rude when I pointed out I was about to sit with my mom.  I did the same as you and just left.

Funny. These run-ins all seem to involve chairs.  😆

We did Trade Routes out of Bergen.  That was in a starbord room.  I would say get the cabin you want with starboard / port sides being one of the lower priorities.  As others have said, you dont see much land from balconies anyway.  Open decks are much better for viewing.

My priority for room selection is grade, deck, forward or aft facing, position on deck, away from stair wells, then which side.  Compromises have to be made, it is unlikely that everything will come together.

We enjoyed the itinerary.  It shows different scenery and countries with the contrasts within Europe, from the north Scandinavia to the warmer southern Latin Med .  Le Havre was missed, disappointing those who intended doing the Paris excursion.  As we are in the UK it was odd calling at Portsmouth (that we didnt know so well) and Falmouth where we had a few land hoidays. 

Enjoy the cruise and dont fret too much about side for viewing. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mlb4chris said:

On that cruise as well. Very excited!

12 hours ago, Squawkman said:

On one cruise, we got up early and went to the 9:30 lecture and then went to the Explorer’s Lounge.  DH and I had 2 chairs with a table between us.  DH went to the 11:30 lecture while people started filing in for Trivia.  One woman demanded I give up my chair, as they needed it for their trivia group.  I just told her ‘excuse me?’ and didn’t budge.  I finished my coffee, and about 15 min later one of the chairs that face out in the front opened, so I let her have my chair.  Unfortunately, this was on Viking, so there are entitled people everywhere.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

On one cruise, we got up early and went to the 9:30 lecture and then went to the Explorer’s Lounge.  DH and I had 2 chairs with a table between us.  DH went to the 11:30 lecture while people started filing in for Trivia.  One woman demanded I give up my chair, as they needed it for their trivia group.  I just told her ‘excuse me?’ and didn’t budge.  I finished my coffee, and about 15 min later one of the chairs that face out in the front opened, so I let her have my chair.  Unfortunately, this was on Viking, so there are entitled people everywhere.  

My wife and I always play trivia - especially during sea days. Usually they use the Star theater, but when they have it lunchtime in the Explorer’s lounge, we make sure to get there as early as possible as it can get crowded. There are many movable chairs so what you experienced is inexcusable. We have done 12 Viking ocean and river cruises and never experienced any guest demanding anything. I chalk that up to less guests rather than the cruise company. 

• Like 1

We took this cruise from Barcelona to Bergen; our cabin was on the land-facing side. The only time I remember sitting on our balcony and watching the coastal scenery (aside from arrivals and departures) was when we came up the Norwegian coast in the early dawn. It was beautiful and, to me with my Norwegian roots, moving. (It was my first glimpse of Norway.)

You will be seeing the same coast in reverse, and I don’t know what time of day you’ll be leaving Bergen. If you’ve still got daylight, I do recommend getting out and seeing it. 

5BEF70AE-1745-4D10-AC5B-AE2EBAF346F8.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello!

We just got back from our trip and wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to post! Everyone was right that the starboard side was absolutely great and there was no need to move.  With the exception of Barcelona, I think we actually had more "good" views than the port. 

Now the tiny room...we might need to upgrade that because it was quite cramped - not sure if there are "deals" per se on rooms, but we will def. need to keep an eye on promos for upcoming Viking cruises because we would def. like to travel with them again!  I think I saw a thread for that so will need to do a search.

Thanks again!  😎