Opinions of Aft Q5 Queens Grill Suite (Corner) for Alaska Cruise or Fjord Cruise

burnsva

Posted (edited)

Considering trying to book an aft Q5 suite (with wrapping balcony) for a future Alaska cruise or Fjord Cruise.  How are the aft suites for this kind of cruises. How much cabin movement?  Anyone with experience with these suites?  Thank you!

Edited by burnsva
Typo

While not been in an aft Q5, having just come back from Alaska, I can report that most of the cruising is in the Inside Passage and you don’t even know you’re on a ship. A wrap-around balcony would be fantastic. The waters are calm and the ship’s speeds are low while in the Inside Passage. There was some movement on the sea day in the open ocean between Hubbard Glacier and Victoria but still not bad. That sea day is the only potential one for rough seas, one day out of 10.
The captain usually turns the ship around 360 in front of significant sights so you can see most things from your balcony. The Commodore Club is very good for glacier viewing too. 

• Like 1

I haven't had the corner aft on QE or QV, but I've had them on HAL's Vistas. The wrap balcony is great for scenic cruising, especially in Alaska. If it's chilly, you can run inside to warm up, maybe have room service coffee. Then go out again for more scenery. 

33 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I haven't had the corner aft on QE or QV, but I've had them on HAL's Vistas. The wrap balcony is great for scenic cruising, especially in Alaska. If it's chilly, you can run inside to warm up, maybe have room service coffee. Then go out again for more scenery. 

Wool blankets are provided in the room and they were well used. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, burnsva said:

Considering trying to book an aft Q5 suite (with wrapping balcony) for a future Alaska cruise or Fjord Cruise.  How are the aft suites for this kind of cruises. How much cabin movement?  Anyone with experience with these suites?  Thank you!

We used to book deck 5 corner cabins on QV years ago and loved them. Spacious and great viewing aspects side and aft. Decent depth to the balcony too. Go for it.

• Like 1

I had rear facing Q suite years ago in the med and I dont remember any particular movement. The rooms are very nice and the view to the rear is great. The only downside is the long walk from the aftmost lifts to the room-

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, s.s.France said:

I had rear facing Q suite years ago in the med and I dont remember any particular movement. The rooms are very nice and the view to the rear is great. The only downside is the long walk from the aftmost lifts to the room-

I wouldn't say it's a long walk from stairwell C and it's very convenient for a quick nip up to the Lido for a snack.

Now the trek to stairwell B for decks 11 and 12 could be termed a bit of a hike and the only reason we booked mid ships for a while before my TKR.

• Like 1