5 or 8 hours in Bruges

I will be taking an excursion from Celebrity when we dock in Zeeburgge.  There are three tours that I am looking at, one is 4 hours and 45 mins, the second is 5 hours and 3rd is 8 hours.  All start with a shuttle into the city center of Bruges (30 min each way) and a walking tour of the city.  One includes a chocolate Demo and free time (doesn't list how long the free time is), another includes a 30 min canal ride with 45 mins of free time and the 8 hour includes a 30 min canal ride with 4 hours of free time.  Other ports we aren't taking an excursion as can walk from the ports (Nordfjrodeid, Geiranger, Flam).  Have the Flam train excursion booked but will cancel if I can book the train on my own (not going until May 2025).  Worried that 8 hours will be too long and what will be open as the excursion starts at 10:30 (we arrive at Zeeburgee at 10:00).  Love chocolate but the canal ride might be nice. All three are close in price.

We just visited Bruges, via Zeebrugge, on our recent Norway cruise. It was the last stop on the way to Southampton. Unless any of these ship tours are really enticing to you, as I imagine they are pricey, we found it very easy to do Bruges on our own without paying for a ship excursion.

Once you exit the ship and take the free short transfer to the terminal building, there are plenty of taxis lined up there to take you into Bruges. We actually used our Uber app - which brings you taxi service there. It was about $55 each way. The canal boat rides are 15 Euro and running constantly, very easy to walk up and book on your own. We also did a on hour small open air bus tour which takes you all over the historic area and provides really great commentary - we really felt that it was a good combo with the canal tour because we saw the city from both land and water. We then had plenty of time to explore on our own, stop for chocolates, hot chocolate, and waffles at The Old Chocolate House - see all of the beautiful buildings and shop before catching a ride back to the ship. It's a very walkable place to visit.

• Like 1

I have just been to Bruges. one of the challenges was the time it took to disembark and the efficiency of shuttle buses from the ship to the terminal. Allow more 3rd 30 minutes. we had to buy a transfer bus with Cruise Express-  it worked fine.
A canal tour is the perfect way to see the city. The old town is quite limited - easy to see it all with a walk including time for a beer and chocolate.

• Like 1

The canal tour sounds very nice and need to of course buy chocolate. Was just reading about the Old Chocolate House tea room - looks perfect.

2 hours ago, Eno said:

The canal tour sounds very nice and need to of course buy chocolate. Was just reading about the Old Chocolate House tea room - looks perfect.

It's awesome! 

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

Canal ride is amazing...also, in Zeebrugge there is a shop that makes and sells homemade marshmallows. I highly recommend. I wish I would've gotten more. Bruge is one of my favorite ports now and can't wait to revisit

Also in Zeebrugge there is a train station where you can catch a train to Bruges. Workers there are very helpful and friendly. Was about a 20 minute ride and tickets were crazy cheap. Bruge train station is very walkable to the town itself.

Hello I have just today booked the 8 hour Bruges excursion with celebrity cruise apex for 25th August 2024. We have done bruges on our own before and while it is considerably cheaper to get the tram then bus/train to bruges it is also a lot more stressful. There is only one train per hour from Blankenberg to Bruges so you have to be careful with timings

This time the ship leaves Zeebrugge at 5pm for us so we just decided to pay for the excursion and remove the stress of getting back. We also worked out we would get an extra 1.5 hours in Bruges this way. We haven't tried the cruise express shuttle bus before but we did hear it gets busy. The excursion cost £80 per person for us. I believe the cruise express bus is about £21 per person and the train/bus combo is about £15- 20 for two people return. So if you feel like you can make the journey that way there is a big cost saving. Also the excursion is advertised as leaving the ship at 7:45am so an early start!! 

Sounds like there will be more than enough to do during the free time on excursion.  While I know the excursion can't be 8 hours as we are there 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, will eventually book it and see how much time we have when we get there.  Want to get the most out of our time there and not worry about getting back in time.