Maloy, what to do?

Hi all, I am struggling to find any suitable trips or places to go in Maloy at the end of August.

We really wanted to go to Selje island but it's fully booked and there will be two ships in at the same time, meaning it's a little more difficult to try and book this.

Anyone who's previously been, what did you do?

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Måløy is a relatively new destination. A very small town with few options - it is necessary to plan in advance. Here is some inspiration:

Måløy Tours

Fjord Norway

I've been in contact with both companies, but there doesn't seem to be as much going on, it was only Selje that sounded good.

We're doing a rib boat another day, so not sure. Have you been before?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RBrowny said:

Have you been before?

Yes, but only a shorter stop with Hurtigruten (Norway Coastal Voyage) -  It surprises me that the cruise lines stop in Måløy - not many options for excursions.

Maybe @kaisatsu has some ideas

Edited by hallasm

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes, but only a shorter stop with Hurtigruten (Norway Coastal Voyage) -  It surprises me that the cruise lines stop in Måløy - not many options for excursions.

Yeah, it's really odd. Maybe they can start doing more tours, but I am not sure. An e-bike might be really fun

• Thanks 1

What was it that you were hoping to do in Selje?

Måløy isn’t an often visited place. The only very well-known place in the area is Kannesteinen.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

It surprises me that the cruise lines stop in Måløy

My suspicion is that it’s a side effect of the closure of St.Petersburg. Norway doesn’t really have enough traditional ports to handle the cruise ships that would have otherwise been doing Baltic route, and the cruise lines are getting creative.

The visit in Selje are probably Selja monestary on Selja Island. Well worth a visit with fascinating history. 

Other things to see in the area are Kråkenes lighhouse and Stadt peninsula. Both a bit weather dependant.

50km east you have a viking museum with good reviews www.sagastad.no, but no tour buses there from Måløy because Nordfjordeid is a competetive cruise port. Maybe local buses.... 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

What was it that you were hoping to do in Selje?

Måløy isn’t an often visited place. The only very well-known place in the area is Kannesteinen.

My suspicion is that it’s a side effect of the closure of St.Petersburg. Norway doesn’t really have enough traditional ports to handle the cruise ships that would have otherwise been doing Baltic route, and the cruise lines are getting creative.

The monastery we wanted to do, but far too expensive via the cruise, so it's put me off a bit. 

Yeah, doesn't seem like much is going on to be honest. So I think we will just walk into the town and that's it.

3 hours ago, JohnAlleb77 said:

The visit in Selje are probably Selja monestary on Selja Island. Well worth a visit with fascinating history. 

Other things to see in the area are Kråkenes lighhouse and Stadt peninsula. Both a bit weather dependant.

50km east you have a viking museum with good reviews www.sagastad.no, but no tour buses there from Måløy because Nordfjordeid is a competetive cruise port. Maybe local buses.... 

Yeah the monastery was what we wanted to do, but as said above, the price is too much via the ship.

Public transport I've been told isn't the best there, and with two ships being in, would probably be even worse so not sure what to do.

8 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

What is the cruise line offering?

Not a great deal, a deer farm, a couple of rib boats and that's it really

Edited by RBrowny

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I wonder if it could also be an attempt to deal with the future limits on ships that aren't zero emissions visiting the heritage fjords.  I'm assuming the cruise lines would rather redirect those ships to new ports than cut back on Norway.  It's too bad for the OP if there isn't enough infrastructure yet to support tourism.  I just can't understand why two ships would be deployed to a port with limited infrastructure.  I experienced that once in St. Lucia, and it resulted in gridlock in the entire downtown. 

Edited by kitkat343