Handicap question at Ft Lauderdale pier

I took a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale a few months ago and have 3 more cruises coming up. I am in a wheelchair so was directed to the elevator. Our problem was that the elevator only goes so far. You still have to go up the ramp at top and getting into the ship is a little hard. My husband is unable to push me up hill. Any suggestions

31 minutes ago, dianfarmer said:

I took a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale a few months ago and have 3 more cruises coming up. I am in a wheelchair so was directed to the elevator. Our problem was that the elevator only goes so far. You still have to go up the ramp at top and getting into the ship is a little hard. My husband is unable to push me up hill. Any suggestions

Contact your cruise lines disability services. They will advise you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've only cruised Princess ships out of FLL (for several years) w/a scooter.  However, I don't get the rented scooter until I get to my cabin.

Meanwhile, Princess has wheelchair "pushers" & chairs at the sidewalk area where you leave your bags.  Those very kind/friendly pushers take the handicapped pax all the way to the security area, get the carry-ons x-rayed & then push the pax to the ship's check-in.  From check-in, a Princess crew person takes over, w/a Princess chair, & takes the pax into the ship.  Since my rented scooter is in the cabin, the crewman usually takes me all the way to my cabin.

Don't be shy about asking for help; it's generally easy to get!

ENJOY!

• Thanks 1

Absolutely, positively request wheelchair assistance.  This is available for embarkation and disembarkation.  However, if you get off at a port the ramp may have a steep incline to get back on the ship.  There are Princess employees at the ramps all the time so even though technically they only have wheelchair pushers available for embarkation and disembarkation, they will most certainly assist pushing you up the ramp to get back on the ship.  Wait for them at the bottom of the ramp until they come help you.   

For wheelchair assistance at embarkation (using either the ship's wheelchair or your own) there will probably be two different pushers.  One will be a port employee and they can push you only so far and then there will be a ship employee to push the rest of the way.   To any public area on the ship or even to your room.  The same is true at disembarkation - you will have a ship employee to push so far and then a port employee will take over (they can push you to your transportation, like a taxi).  If you want a wheelchair pusher for disembarkation there will be a meeting place for the wheelchair people waiting to be pushed off the ship.  Don't forget to tip the pusher(s).   If you drop off your luggage with the porters, ask if you can have wheelchair assistance and they will get someone.  This way you can have wheelchair assistance all the way to the ship.  Bonus:   the wheelchair pushers know all the short-cuts to get where you need to go.  

You need to complete Princess' Mobility Questionnaire and submit it to them ahead of your cruise.  If you haven't already seen this, here's a link about accessibility (scroll to Health & Accessibility).    https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise

And here's another thread you might be interested in:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2965408-check-in-and-boarding-assistance/