Queen Anne sea keeping qualities

sucramdi

Has anyone experienced Queen Anne in rough weather yet? I'm interested in joining her maiden TA in January and am curious how she might handle the stormy conditions. I've been on QM2 through a winter Atlantic storm and enjoyed it, how different could QA be? Are Queen Elizabeth and Victoria be a good reference point? 

The Queen Anne is pinnacle-class (E&V are vistas), so a closer comparison would be to the three Holland America pinnacle-class ships. I have not yet been on Queen Anne, but have sailed on all three of the HAL ships: Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam, and can say that they all handle marine conditions extremely well. Have had cabins midship, aft, and forward with TA’s on all three, as well as other parts of the globe. Even with cabins on a high deck, forward, the ships have all performed well in rough weather. Couldn’t use the balcony, sometimes, on the high deck forward, though. 

• Thanks 1

After being on Queen Anne for a few weeks now, we’ve been through some conditions that you could count as rough, though I’m sure it’s subjective.

The main one was coming down from the Fjords in 3 meter waves (unsure of the wind speed) — the ship does move, maybe more than I personally thought it would.

However, I’m more used to sailing on Queen Mary 2, which obviously moves, but not as much in lesser conditions. 

I’ve done the vistas a total of 3 times, but never in bad weather, so I can’t compare.

My point being, what may be a lot of movement for me on her (for the type of conditions anyway) may just be normal for this style of ship.

Though as someone considering a trip that involves the maiden Atlantic crossing, I am a little pessimistic in how it will handle it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MylesS said:

After being on Queen Anne for a few weeks now, we’ve been through some conditions that you could count as rough, though I’m sure it’s subjective.

The main one was coming down from the Fjords in 3 meter waves (unsure of the wind speed) — the ship does move, maybe more than I personally thought it would.

However, I’m more used to sailing on Queen Mary 2, which obviously moves, but not as much in lesser conditions. 

I’ve done the vistas a total of 3 times, but never in bad weather, so I can’t compare.

My point being, what may be a lot of movement for me on her (for the type of conditions anyway) may just be normal for this style of ship.

Though as someone considering a trip that involves the maiden Atlantic crossing, I am a little pessimistic in how it will handle it.

We have had a few rocky days on Queen Victoria, mid Atlantic on the Northern route, a visit to the Faroes cancelled due to the weather and boy, the ship rocked and last year in the Baltic when we were all advised to find a cosy chair and have a lazy day- some green faces that day.

I can confirm, aft cabins are not the place to be if you suffer from mal de mer. QV def. does 'mal' very well! 😲

but

we've also done rocky, mid ships and that wasn’t too bad so position is certainly a consideration.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MylesS said:

QA came broadside to waves to give pilot boat a lee off Stavanger wind about F7 . I detected virtually no movement. The NS does not have the long ocean swells of the Atlantic, rather short steep seas.

How QA handles rough seas really depends on how the indivual copes with the conditions.

Have experienced very bad conditions on both QE & QV handled it ss well as u would expect. 

But an Atlantic storm is another experience.

• Like 2