Norwegian Viva tender ports

19 minutes ago, varpinater said:

Could someone tell me how to know if my cruise has any planned tender ports?

Screenshot_20240716_195354_Facebook.jpg

If you could mention the name of the ship and the sailing date, we could look it up on the NCL website.  Even without those details, though, the NCL website lists just about all the ports visited by any NCL ship with an indication if it is a "tender only" port.  Some of the other ports where ships usually dock can sometimes require tendering, though.  The best way to know for sure if you will tender in any of these ports would be to check the details for the specific cruise.

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

If you could mention the name of the ship and the sailing date, we could look it up on the NCL website.  Even without those details, though, the NCL website lists just about all the ports visited by any NCL ship with an indication if it is a "tender only" port.  Some of the other ports where ships usually dock can sometimes require tendering, though.  The best way to know for sure if you will tender in any of these ports would be to check the details for the specific cruise.

OP said Viva in the title. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Traveling Man said:

In the title of the post it says Viva but yes, more information would be helpful (and the website should already show where they tender).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

The name of my ship is on the title, Norwegian Viva. Sail date is March 30th 2025.  I did check the app and website and was unsuccessful. Thanks for the help

Just now, bluesea777 said:

OP said Viva in the title. 

That is true, however some ships may sail to similar ports on several different itineraries over a period of several weeks.  On some cruises they may dock in a particular port, while tendering at that port on a different sailing date.  It would help to know the specific date.

31 minutes ago, varpinater said:

Could someone tell me how to know if my cruise has any planned tender ports?

Screenshot_20240716_195354_Facebook.jpg

No tender ports in this itinerary. Unless one or so of these ports provides their own tender boats to assist Viva in transporting the pax between ship and port. 

Viva’s (ditto with Prima’s) lifeboats aren’t certified to tender the passengers to port.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, varpinater said:

The name of my ship is on the title, Norwegian Viva. Sail date is March 30th 2025.  I did check the app and website and was unsuccessful. Thanks for the help

According to the NCL website, the only tender port on this cruise is Castries, St. Lucia.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-day-caribbean-round-trip-san-juan-curacao-and-aruba-VIVA7SJULRMORJWILKRASLUBASSJU?sailMonths=4294949401&ships=4294949396&numberOfGuests=4294949461&sortBy=date_nearest&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=VIVA7SJULRMORJWILKRASLUBASSJU

Edited by The Traveling Man

FWIW, we're on the 12 days Caribbean "Getaway" sailing with St. Lucia as one of scheduled (tender) port ... lifeboats are, as far as I know, certified to tender passengers ashore & back.  

Upon embarkation, we're informed - not before final payment or afterward, nor upon opening of online check-in at 21 days prior, etc. that due to "unforeseen circumstances" ahead, 7 to 8 days later, that we were diverting #cough #cough and not visiting Castries.  We skipped to another island nearby - Roseau, Dominica with an easy to dock pier, where the local taxi/tour drivers were out in force & plentiful, offering options ... which was fine by us, as we typically just wing it & negotiate on the spot.  

PXL_20230121_022136616.jpg.2098d699def09

We learned from locals - among them, our taxi-tour driver that they had been expecting us and wasn't a surprise to them at all ... unconfirmed water cooler story being that NCL didn't like or want to run their own tender operations for the *away/+ ships.  Furthermore, there're a substantial # of accessible pax onboard and ship tenders would be quite challenging ... 

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

FWIW, we're on the 12 days Caribbean "Getaway" sailing with St. Lucia as one of scheduled (tender) port ... lifeboats are, as far as I know, certified to tender passengers ashore & back. 

On most NCL ships, some of the lifeboats also are certified to act as tenders.  I'm not sure what the specific differences are that designate the two types of boats.  I would defer to an expert such as @chengkp75 for a complete explanation of that.  The lifeboats on the Pr1ma and V!va, however, apparently are not certified for use as tenders.

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

FWIW, we're on the 12 days Caribbean "Getaway" sailing with St. Lucia as one of scheduled (tender) port. 

Upon embarkation, we're informed - not before final payment or afterward, nor upon opening of online check-in at 21 days prior, etc. that due to "unforeseen circumstances" ahead, 7 to 8 days later, that we were diverting #cough #cough and not visiting Castries. 

We learned from locals - among them, our taxi-tour driver that they had been expecting us and wasn't a surprise to them at all.

You may have opened a whole new can of worms.  There has been a great deal of speculation on CC lately about NCL announcing itinerary changes only after final payment dates, but somehow port authorities and local tour providers were aware of the changes much earlier.