Heathrow Terminal 5 transfer

mauibabes

19 minutes ago, Twiga said:

We were at Heathrow in June and gate numbers were not posted until 50 minutes or so before the flight.  However, the American Airlines app notified me of our gate in terminal 3 at 11:46 a.m. for our 2:45 p.m. departure. The gate was not posted on the departure board until 1:35 p.m.  The gate number that American Airlines told me was correct.  Of course this may not always be correct, but we were at the gate early, before the crowd.

It's been a few years since I've been there but if I remember right, I couldn't check my luggage until 2 hours (maybe 3) before the flight. Not much chance to go to a lounge or have time to sit down and have lunch. By the time you went through security and then to your gate it was time to board. 

@ORV, We were only transferring from a flight from Amsterdam to our flight to LAX, so we didn't have luggage to check in.  Although we had about 2 hours from landing at LHR until our flight time, we had just an hour before boarding began.  We had to take the bus from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 (an 8 minute ride), which was very easy, but then go through security again at Terminal 3, which took awhile.  There wasn't enough time to go to the lounge as it was very far from our gate.

• Like 1

Forgot to include in my earlier post...in T5 on our return trip from the Riviera cruise, a family of 4 ahead of us (mom, dad, and two young sons - maybe 4 and 5?) went through the metal detector.  For some reason, security told the two young boys to go back and be re-screened.  However when they went back, security proceeded to do a pat-down search.  The parents were beside themselves but could do nothing, and the two boys were bawling by this point and didn't understand what was happening.  They were finally allowed to go back through and join there parents. We couldn't believe it.