embarkation day

Is there much to do on the ship on this day? My travel partner and I are complete opposites on being on the ship. I prefer to see the port and she wants to get on the ship asap. She has platinum status so this might allow her an earlier check in? Do we have to check in at the same time? If not I just might spend more time in Athens and join her later.  Especially if not much to do on the ship beside eat and drink.

Just now, drew69 said:

Eat, drink, swim, sun, unpack, settle in.  That is about it.

Hope I can embark later than her. Sounds boring to me. I can do those things at my home. 

Whatever works best for you both.  Don't forget, the ship will not be in Athens, but in Piraeus - about a 30-40 minute ride away by taxi, bus, metro and you have to be on the ship 2 hours before departure time.

Myself, I prefer to fly in a few days ahead and enjoy the city, then board early and get settled in.

We are flying in early. We have the full day before embarkation day but I think I would rather catch more of Athens before heading to the docks. I am not an avid cruiser preferring land based vacations.  My preferences are different than people who love cruising. My friend being a loves cruising person. 

4 minutes ago, sheshe01 said:

We are flying in early. We have the full day before embarkation day but I think I would rather catch more of Athens before heading to the docks. I am not an avid cruiser preferring land based vacations.  My preferences are different than people who love cruising. My friend being a loves cruising person. 

Explore Athens a bit more in the morning and then head over a couple of hours before final boarding time.  For me a cruise is all about the ports/destination and the ship is just a floating hotel to get me from point A to point B.  That's why I do cruises with no port days or only 1- 2 max -  in a 10-14 day cruise.  Off each day as soon as we dock and spend as much time as possible at the destination.  

Just now, drew69 said:

Explore Athens a bit more in the morning and then head over a couple of hours before final boarding time.  For me a cruise is all about the ports/destination and the ship is just a floating hotel to get me from point A to point B.  That's why I do cruises with no port days or only 1- 2 max -  in a 10-14 day cruise.  Off each day as soon as we dock and spend as much time as possible at the destination.  

Exactly. I am only doing this cruise because it is in port everyday. I know my travel buddy will not accommodate my wishes on this so I guess I just have to see if she will be upset if I do my own thing and board later

12 minutes ago, sheshe01 said:

Exactly. I am only doing this cruise because it is in port everyday. I know my travel buddy will not accommodate my wishes on this so I guess I just have to see if she will be upset if I do my own thing and board later

Just got back from the 9 day port everyday on the Getaway.  Loved it as it was long port days too and overnight in Istanbul

12 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Just got back from the 9 day port everyday on the Getaway.  Loved it as it was long port days too and overnight in Istanbul

Sounds the same or similar to the 1 Im taking. 9 days Greek Isles 09-01 on Getaway. What was the highlight for you?

47 minutes ago, sheshe01 said:

Give it a chance. I used to be in the same “boat” as you and was very anti-cruise. For YEARS. I’ve softened my stance considerably when I figured out that cruising not only allows you to visit multiple locations in a short amount of time for a reasonable cost but you can have a lot of fun on the ship too.

Arriving early (or not at the last minute, at least) allows you time to get all the stuff you need to do out of the way. Unpack, go to the muster station, get something to eat/drink, and then you can go do whatever you want. 

9 minutes ago, sheshe01 said:

Sounds the same or similar to the 1 Im taking. 9 days Greek Isles 09-01 on Getaway. What was the highlight for you?

I always love Istanbul so was great to be there again.  All the ports were great and repeats for us.

Spent 3 nights pre-cruise in Athens then 2 nights post-cruise in Glyfada so a nice 2 week trip all around. Really like Rhodes too - spent 8 days there last year.

If you have luggage to tote around you might consider going with your friend to the port and dropping your luggage at the room. Have lunch or go off and explore the port city. It might take longer to travel from Athens than you think and stuff happens. Your friend might be nervous about you making it to the ship in time. You can see a lot the first day if you plan well. Get your tickets to the Gothic Cathedral in advance and the old shopping area will be open late at night with great restaurants. You have to be at the ship at least two hours before sail away. It would be a shame to mess that up.