Diabetic dining question

mina

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I found it easier to have the same table/time in the dining room so not to explain about diet at each meal.

Even if you have a different table and a different waiter, you would not need to explain everything each time. As long as you eat in the same dining room with the same dining room manager (aka head waiter), that is what is most important. If you have dietary constraints, you should be ordering the night before from the dining room manager - you will not be ordering from your waiter. They can handle it if you eat in different dining rooms, but it is easier in the same dining room ordering from the same dining room manager.

• Like 1

My husband has worked very hard to get his A1C under 7 - last test was 6.3 so he is doing well. He has done it through diet and is on the very lowest dose of Metformin. 

We love to cruise, so he has really changed his pattern of eating on our trips. Thankfully Princess offers plenty of good options. 

Some things he does - avoid breads completely. He loves the pizza, so he will get a slice and just eat the cheese and toppings - no crust. At the grill he will enjoy a hot dog or burger bun free, or with lettuce wrap. If getting food in the buffet he loads up on salads, veggies, and meats from the carving station. He will also make a meat and cheese platter - like a charcuterie. In the MDR, they are very accommodating about substituting a double order of vegetables when the meal has rice or potatoes. For entrees he sticks to things like shrimp cocktail, veggie and antipasto entrees, soups, salads. He fully avoids pasta, potatoes, rice, and most fruits. 

And, he doesn’t completely deny himself desserts. He does generally stick to sugar free options with little or no flour component - things like ice creams, custards, puddings, mousse  etc. if there is a crust like with a tart or pie, he simply does not eat that part of the dessert. Given how active we are and how careful he is for the most part, he also allows an occasional fully loaded treat. 

We aren’t drinkers, so alcohol really isn’t an issue for him. He will usually allow a couple of cocktails during our trip, but other than that he drinks water or Diet Coke. 

He manages to enjoy and eats a lot of meats and seafood too. He keeps it real and doesn’t go off the rails, but also lets himself have a little bit of the “good” stuff within strict moderation. 

it is totally doable and you can still have wonderful meals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 3:38 PM, mina said:

Thank you.  Yes the hard part will be the drinks.  I love my sweet martinis, but those are off the table now.   Will stick to white claws if they still have them and maybe some mojitos made with club soda instead of simple syrup….   

Check out the sugar free water enhancers like Mio or Crystal Lite or Dasani.  A quick squeeze into a vodka soda and voila - "sweet" flavored drink without the sugars.  

All sorts of fun flavors - pineapple coconut for your island like Pina colada flavor or strawberry lemonade or peach mango, etc.  

Handy when you want a flavor instead of just a lime..  

Personally, I'm a vodka rocks gal nowadays , but those enhancers helped get me off the fruit juice mixers, etc.  

And yeah - those sugar fee desserts are most definitely not low in carbs! There's usually a sugar free ice cream each night and sometimes a sugar free sorbet.  Berries with a little cream is my go to when having a dessert..  fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm not a sweets person, so not having traditional dessert isn't a struggle - a nice cheese plate and I'm good!   

Good luck and enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, and I want to add one more good option that has been my husband’s go to for breakfast. In the International Cafe each morning they have Egg Bites - basically like crustless mini quiches with broccoli, cheese, mushrooms, etc. Totally Keto friendly, low to no carbs, and high protein. He ate them for breakfast everyday on our recent cruise - they are really tasty and satisfying!

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1