Galveston: Port proceeding with $160M bond for new cruise terminal

Posted (edited)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been aboard a MSC ship? We toured the Opera several years ago and it was different in lots of ways. The reviews are all over the place.
 My wife and I have perhaps aged out of Carnival and the last two have been on Royal Caribbean. I am not sure we would go back. What say you Kat?

4 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Have you been aboard a MSC ship? We toured the Opera several years ago and it was different in lots of ways. The reviews are all over the place.
 My wife and I have perhaps aged out of Carnival and the last two have been on Royal Caribbean. I am not sure we would go back. What say you Kat?

No, have not been aboard or sailed any of the MSC ships... yet.

Of the lines I have sailed, Celebrity is my favorite. Especially the Official Cruise Critic Host & Member Group Cruise on Summit in 2011 to Bermuda. But then, anywhere I do not have to cook any meals or make any beds is just fine by me. My first cruise with DDepartedH taught me that! All of my cruises were group cruises with friends or family. I was never the person that picked which line, ship or itinerary.

My next cruise is an invite from my niece and her son. Later this year she is sailing around eastern Australia on Celebrity with a week-long land trip after. Her son will be joining her for the land trip. I would give my left arm to be a bug on her shoulder for all that! 😀

For anyone reading this thread, here is a Cruise Critic article dated June 3, 2024:

1. MSC Cruises vs. Carnival Cruise Line in the Caribbean

And here is another dated February 29, 2024:

1. MSC vs. Royal Caribbean in the Caribbean

DH and I sailed MSC's inaugural cruise to the U S several years ago from Genoa, Italy to Ft. Lauderdale (3 weeks)

Loved every minute.  The ship was 5 months old and exquisite. I haved lived and traveled all Europe so the annoucencements in multiple languages were normal for me.  We enjoyed the international food and entertainment and meeting cruisers from all over the world.

Unfortunately, the worst were the Americans who felt everything should be as it is at home, treated staff rudely and complained about everything.  Demanding, not courteous to staff and rarely saying please or thank you.

This is an Italian cruise line so the atmosphere is  European,

We woud never hesitate to sail MSC and look forward to sailing them out of Galveston,

We have sailed twice on MSC. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line when in a Sky Suite (SS). MSC'c Yacht Club (YC) cabins are very similar to Celebrity's SS cabin in size and amenities, but overall the YC is a better "ship within a ship" experience and usually less expensive. To enter the YC on most MSC ships, the passenger must use their key card to enter the exclusive area including most cabins, dedicated restaurant, lounge with nightly entertainment and all day food. Also YC cabins have exclusive outdoor areas that include a morning and afternoon restaurant/grill, and other outdoor amenities. 

Upon arrival, YC passengers have a private entry that bypasses all the embarkation hassles (Celebrity is getting better at this for their "Retreat" passengers). Another nice included option is unlimited access to their spa, which is leaps and bounds ahead of Celebrity's Persian Gardens (S-Class) and very similar spa features on their E-Class ships. 

We would not sail MSC without having the YC experience included. However, the YC is usually much less expensive that Celebrity's Retreat experience and for us a very good fit. We are already booked on an early Galveston cruise on MSC's Seashore, which is a sister ship to the slightly older Seaside which we sailed a few years ago.

If you decide to try MSC, be sure to check MSC's Status Match Program. They will not only status match other cruise lines, but other programs (hotels for example; but check first we only status matched, at the time, our Celebrity's Elite Status to MSC's Diamond Status which is their top level). 

• Like 1

We normally sail suites on celebrity or rccl but we have our second MSc yacht club booked for later this year . In my opinion YC is far superior to both rccl suites and celebrity suites . Premium drink package and WiFi is included, live music most of the night in suite lounge . Planning on booking YC out of Galveston while aboard YC later this year.