If 2 of the 3 people can't make it, does the 3rd have to sail?

Hi.  I have a cruise booked this week, leaving from Europe.  The booking is in my name.  My 2 college-aged daughters will be joining me.  One daughter and I will be flying from the US, but the other daughter is already in Europe, since she has been studying abroad.

With the mess going on with flights, I'm super nervous about the 2 of us in the US making it to board the ship.  I do have cruise insurance (it does not have a cancel for any reason option).  I'm holding out hope that things go as planned...but if we don't make it there, does my daughter who will already be there have to cruise solo?  Or could we all potentially be reimbursed?  I cannot imagine that she will enjoy boarding a ship and sailing alone.  😞

I've thankfully never had to use insurance, so I'm not sure how any of it works.  I guess potentially if we were delayed a day or two, we could possibly meet up with her at another port?  Is that an option?  Can she even board without us?  So many questions!!  

Thanks for any answers anyone can provide! Hopefully, I am worrying for nothing, but I like to be prepared.

So, this is a very complicated question.

My knowledge of insurance and coverage for multiple people going together is that you all have to be covered under one blanket policy... OR very specific reasons have to happen for one or the other or all to claim compensation for cancelling.

The questions are:

1) What is your coverage if flights are cancelled - I believe that this would fall under "interruption" terms, not a cancellation.

2) What is your Daughters insurance in Europe cover?  If she does not have a reason to cancel that falls into the covered reasons that are generally a death, illness, or other...  then she may be obligated to board or lose everything.

I personally would call your insurance company and have a heart-to-heart with them and ask them all the scenarios.

But, how is your daughter in Europe covered?  That may be separate from you and your daughter travelling with you.

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

So, this is a very complicated question.

My knowledge of insurance and coverage for multiple people going together is that you all have to be covered under one blanket policy... OR very specific reasons have to happen for one or the other or all to claim compensation for cancelling.

The questions are:

1) What is your coverage if flights are cancelled - I believe that this would fall under "interruption" terms, not a cancellation.

2) What is your Daughters insurance in Europe cover?  If she does not have a reason to cancel that falls into the covered reasons that are generally a death, illness, or other...  then she may be obligated to board or lose everything.

I personally would call your insurance company and have a heart-to-heart with them and ask them all the scenarios.

But, how is your daughter in Europe covered?  That may be separate from you and your daughter travelling with you.

Also, I believe from reading the policy again that flight cancellation is considered a "trip delay"?  I don't know...these things are not defined super well.  I have the nationwide cruise insurance, if that's helpful to know.  

Theoretically, if we were delayed by a day, will the cruise line (NCL) let us board at the first port, provided we can get there on our own?  

10 hours ago, cruising with the family said:

Theoretically, if we were delayed by a day, will the cruise line (NCL) let us board at the first port, provided we can get there on our own?  

Be in touch with them as soon as it is clear that you will not make All Aboard! Passengers on HAL's 35-day Voyage of the Vikings, that sailed on July 20, are meeting the ship in various of the early ports (Bar Harbor ME, Sydney NS, etc) due to flights to Boston being delayed or cancelled. BUT they all got pre-approval from HAL.

12 hours ago, cruising with the family said:

Also, I believe from reading the policy again that flight cancellation is considered a "trip delay"?  I don't know...these things are not defined super well.  I have the nationwide cruise insurance, if that's helpful to know.  

Call the insurance company directly with a list of questions.  Get these answers from the insurance company - not us - we don't know the policy well enough to know.  Every policy is different.  Policy coverage depends on age, pre-existing conditions, covered reasons for cancel, delay, or interruption.