Spain day tours - Malaga to Granada ( Alhambra). A few questions.

We will be in the port of Malaga in Sept and have booked this excursion with Spain Day Tours ( have booked with them several times).  A few questions:  how long is the ride from the port,  how much walking is involved ( in the palace and in Granada), and was there time to tour/ walk around Granada?  Thanks so much.

The drive takes anywhere from about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on traffic.  The Alhambra does involve a fair amount of walking, depending on your actual tour.  Just getting from the parking area to the entrance can be a hike, although your tour company may be able to drop you closer to the entrance.  You are not actually going to a palace as much as you are going to an entire area that has the palace.  If your tour also includes a visit to the Generlife, this would add substantially to the walking.

Hank

• Like 1

Hello

I was in the Alhambra a few months ago. The entrance cost me 19 euros. There were guides who offered me entry plus explanations in small groups starting at 30 euros.

Allow AT LEAST three hours inside the Alhambra. I was there for 4 and a half hours.

The visit to the "Nasrid palaces" is at the time of entry. If you arrive late you cannot enter. They calculate it so that, every 30 minutes, certain tourists enter. This allows it to be the most visited Spanish monument and not feel overwhelmed.
It takes an hour to visit the Nasrid palaces in peace.

The ticket gives the right to visit the Alcazaba (a military fortress) and the Generalife (Arab gardens) on the same day that you visit the Nasrid palaces (you do not have to go at any time. It can be before or after). There are many more sites in the Alhambra to visit and the rest are all free to access.

In case anyone reads this thread and is interested... in my opinion, if time is very limited, buy a ticket for the Nasrid palaces. It is not cheap at all, but it is worth it.
I would pay the entire entrance fee for the palaces
I wouldn't pay half as much to see the rest of the Alhambra but without the palaces.

Keep in mind that within the Alhambra the distances are very large and it can take 20 minutes to travel from one point to another.

If you still have time, I recommend that you walk the "Carrera del Darro".
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1777775,-3.5944248,3a,75y,65.83h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBV2dXAbErnE8MB7ytTmKyA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry= you

It is a street that borders the old neighborhood of Albaicín and another of the symbols of Granada.
Keep in mind that the Alhambra is on a mountain and, although Granada is not especially big, you have to get around.
You can opt for a taxi
or you can opt for a minibus. In Granada some streets are so narrow that they have put minibuses to go through them. This is the case of the bus in the Albaicín neighborhood and the Alhambra. They pass every 5-10 minutes and only fit 20 people inside.

Here you have an example of the bus in the Darro race

autobusgranada.thumb.jpg.3875cec1e188c686bcfc20e8b6c1a41b.jpg

Ah... Granada has a lot, a lot to see. I was there three days and I didn't have time to see it all. I ended each night very tired and I still had things to do.
Few cities the size of Granada offer so many monuments

• Like 2

I am going to go slightly off topic with some comments about the Alhambra.  Yes, folks can do a rushed/timed visit on a port day which will mean at least 3 1/2 hours (round trip) in a bus or other vehicle.  If this is your only way to see Granada (which you will not have time to see) and the Alhambra, then certainly do it!  But we think the best way to see and experience the Alhambra is to actually spend several nights inside!  And yes, you can do it if you stay at the Parador de Granada.  This is a very nice quasi government hotel that lies within the Alhambra complex.  When we stayed there, we (and others) would have breakfast on the patio that overlooked the gorge and Generalife.  To see the various parts of the Alhambra, one only had to walk out of the hotel grounds!  Because many do not know of this place thought it would be worth mentioning.

What was fascinating (to me) was driving to the Parador, which meant going right through the main gates and streets (packed with tourists) to get to the Parador's parking lot.  We did get stopped (a couple of times) by police, and once we said we were going to the Parador they moved out of our way.  To say the Parador is a unique hotel would be an understatement.

Parador de Granada | Paradores

Hank

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 3:16 PM, vickykay said:

was there time to tour/ walk around Granada?

very unlikely as Malaga is quite some distance from Granada and with driving time both directions and the Alhambra visit itself, the priority will be to get you back to the ship.

We will be in Malaga next Spring. I had booked Alhambra with Spain Day Tours and was going to gather a small group. When I asked if there would be any free time, I was told that would be unlikely, and if so maybe 45 minutes. 
We decided to take ship transportation to and from, allowing several hours to DIY. We will purchase tickets to get into Nasarid Palaces ahead of time and see what we have time to see. But that is more our style than guided tours are. 
Please let us know how it turns out for you!

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Best way to travel from downtown Granada to Alhambra?  I believe taxi? We are taking transportation to and from Malaga with free time of approx 5 hours. TY

Your post is a somewhat confusing.  The Alhambra is located in Granada, which is about 90 miles from the port and Malaga.  Taking a taxi would cost many hundreds of Euros as you would need to hire the taxi for the entire day.   If you are talking about going between the Port of Malaga and downtown Malaga, one can do that with a taxi, bus, or even a long walk (our favorite way).

Hank

I sure wasn’t clear. I am looking at booking SB transportation to Granada and back from Malaga. That is it. DIY for 5 hours. I want to book the Nasarid Palaces for entry, and just allow the rest to flow how it does. I am trying to determine travel time from ship to Granada, then time needed to Alhambra in order to book Nasarid without worrying about return time to the bus back to the ship. 
If in fact this plan all makes sense! 
I canceled Spain Day Tours. Too structured for us, but likely great for others. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I sure wasn’t clear. I am looking at booking SB transportation to Granada and back from Malaga. That is it. DIY for 5 hours. I want to book the Nasarid Palaces for entry, and just allow the rest to flow how it does. I am trying to determine travel time from ship to Granada, then time needed to Alhambra in order to book Nasarid without worrying about return time to the bus back to the ship. 
If in fact this plan all makes sense! 
I canceled Spain Day Tours. Too structured for us, but likely great for others. 

The ride from Malaga to Granada is about 1.5 hours.  A taxi from the Cathedral to the Alhambra is about 15-20 minutes. There is a hoho "little train" that takes you from downtown Granada into the Alhambra.  You could look it up and see what the schedule is. It goes in by a back entrance near the Generalife and it stops near the Nasrid palace.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you marazul. So in reality, free time is more like 4 hours when one includes the transfer to and from Granada. 

Honestly, with the very limited time you have, take the tour.  You do need a good 3-4 hours to enjoy the Alhambra.  We have only been there on land vacations and I don't even want to think about the logistics for a first timer to figure out how to get from downtown Granada to the Alhambra and back. It is easy once you know how to do it, but you don't want to waste precious time getting your bearings. Take the tour.  

The transfer to Granada is fine if you have already been to the Alhambra.  There is a lot to see and do in Granada.  But if the Alhambra is your intended destination, you are much better off with one of the tours.

Edited by marazul

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We really do not enjoy ship tours

sometimes the best way to go.

Usual procedure is that, on arrival at the Alhambra complex, as numbers are restricted, coach passengers are split into smaller groups for the timed interior visits which are led by Alhambra staff.

And sometimes free time is given for self exploration of the gardens before reboarding the coach for the return to ship.

Think of the shorex as less of an excursion and more of a means of transporting you to and back from the Alhambra.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks edinburgher. I appreciate this perspective and agree. 
When we have used shore ex as transportation in the past, we try to break away and explore on our own by asking what time and where to meet. We always tip the guide if we do this. The concept isn’t  always well received, and sometimes not agreeable - which turns it into the type of day we do not enjoy - following the lollipop for hours. Sometimes the guide doesn’t care and it works well. That said, reliable feedback here from those whom have been, is telling me  that Alhambra is quite possibly not the place to do that, and I need to listen to that. 
I am facing the same dilemma with Seville from Cadiz. The distance from both ports makes me a bit uncomfortable not taking ship transportation. They both now are presenting the same decision - ship ex or alternative destination for the day. 

57 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks edinburgher. I appreciate this perspective and agree. 
When we have used shore ex as transportation in the past, we try to break away and explore on our own by asking what time and where to meet. We always tip the guide if we do this. The concept isn’t  always well received, and sometimes not agreeable - which turns it into the type of day we do not enjoy - following the lollipop for hours. Sometimes the guide doesn’t care and it works well. That said, reliable feedback here from those whom have been, is telling me  that Alhambra is quite possibly not the place to do that, and I need to listen to that. 
I am facing the same dilemma with Seville from Cadiz. The distance from both ports makes me a bit uncomfortable not taking ship transportation. They both now are presenting the same decision - ship ex or alternative destination for the day. 

Bite the bullet. Or switch to the Venture. 😁

• Haha 1

Decided to book the excursions. The Alhambra, are sold out! Only the coach ride to Grenada is available. 

Also looked at Seville. The tour is sold out as well, except for one where you have 3 hours on your own. We are there on a Sunday. The cathedral is only open starting at 2:30…..we would most likely not have time to visit it and catch the bus back to the ship since it is scheduled to arrive back at 4:30. 

Marazul, I looked at Venture as well. Your ship is pretty full, and what is available would be a very large bullet to bite! Added are flights booked home from Nice already. 
I don’t mind re-exploring Cadiz. It’s been 9 years since we were there. Malaga is a dilemma. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Decided to book the excursions. The Alhambra, are sold out! Only the coach ride to Grenada is available. 

Also looked at Seville. The tour is sold out as well, except for one where you have 3 hours on your own. We are there on a Sunday. The cathedral is only open starting at 2:30…..we would most likely not have time to visit it and catch the bus back to the ship since it is scheduled to arrive back at 4:30. 

Marazul, I looked at Venture as well. Your ship is pretty full, and what is available would be a very large bullet to bite! Added are flights booked home from Nice already. 
I don’t mind re-exploring Cadiz. It’s been 9 years since we were there. Malaga is a dilemma. 

The cathedral is open from 11 to 19 Monday through Saturday, and from 12 to 19 on sundays. 

https://www.catedraldesevilla.es/visita-cultural/horarios-y-tarifas/

Get the tickets on the cathedral's SPANISH website. 

https://catedraldesevilla.entradasdemuseos.com/visit/visita-a-la-catedral-y-giralda-incluye-iglesia-de-el-salvador

Many times you can get added to the tours while onboard.

Edited by marazul

Interesting. The two websites I saw conflicting information on were the following. Thank you. 
I specifically typed in visiting hours on Sundays. I was unable to translate the other cathedral links that I found into English.  I will keep trying. Thank you marazul 

IMG_4629.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Interesting. The two websites I saw conflicting information on were the following. Thank you. 
I specifically typed in visiting hours on Sundays. I was unable to translate the other cathedral links that I found into English.  I will keep trying. Thank you marazul 

IMG_4629.jpeg

The one I gave you is the cathedral's own website. The one you found is a reseller, but I just checked them out. They are selling tickets with audio guides for this coming Sunday starting at 12:05, just like the official website.

5 hours ago, marazul said:

The one I gave you is the cathedral's own website. The one you found is a reseller, but I just checked them out. They are selling tickets with audio guides for this coming Sunday starting at 12:05, just like the official website.

Thank you very much. Again! 

I am taking your advice marazul and booking Seville with 3 hrs free time! 

Malaga is still challenging me. The ship ‘tours to Alhambra are already sold out. That leaves ship transportation to Granada and 5 hrs of DIY (I would book advance Nasarid tickets). Feedback here seems that maybe this isn’t ideal. I think I will try to find out where, specifically, in Granada their  transportation drops you. Not sure if SB will know, but of so that would be helpful. 
Other excursion options don’t really call to me after looking on TA (Village of Mijas, Village of Ronda). I have looked on TA for Malaga itself, and see Malaga tours, wine and tapa tours, catamarans. Does Malaga have much to offer that I am not seeing?

Spain Day tours requires 12 minimum people for Alhambra, and if they don’t get that number, they can cancel the day prior (roll call activity seems pretty low on SB).
I looked at Malaga port schedule. Explore II (0900-2300) and Seabourn Encore (0800-1800). Passengers on Explora have a much longer port time, so combining people from both seems unlikely for Spain Day Tours. 
I looked on TA for things to do in Granada, and it’s basically about tours to Alhambra, where you meet at Alhambra. 
Am I missing something/someplace that would be worth looking into?

On 8/7/2024 at 11:28 AM, Vineyard View said:

Malaga

Granada has lots to see even if you don't get to the Alhambra. It is way more interesting than Malaga. Book that tour, but stay on the waitlist for the Alhambra.  Check at SB Square as soon as you board and see if they have any openings for the Alhambra.

• Like 1