Royal Caribbean Platinum Passport Coupon Book

I have been checking out ebay for Royal Caribbean and cruise related items for our upcoming cruise. One thing I have run across is the Platinum Passport Coupon Book. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these books.

Specifically: How much do the books cost on the ship? Do you have to sit through a shopping presentation to buy the book? Are there only 200 available per cruise? Are they worth my money? Are the freebies or discounts worth my time to seek out?

Thanks so much for any help. I love a good bargain, but want to be smart about buying the coupon book as well!

Jennifer

They are free, and you receive them onboard the ship when you are a Platinum Crown & Anchor member. They are for use by Platinum Crown & anchor members. I don't think they are worth buying. They are mostly 2 for 1 offers on things like buy 1 coctail get 1 free, free scoop of Ben & jerry's. Free photo of ship when you purchase photo. There is one coupon for each. I would imagine that if too many non-eligible people start buying or using coupon books, that they will probably eliminate the member benefit altogether. :)

I thought I was able to delete this post, but I apparently I can only edit. I don't know if they are selling the shopping books, of which I have no knowledge, or the Platinum member coupon books. :-)

I purchased a "Discover Shopping Passport" book last year on our Navigator cruise. I think it cost $20 or $25. I'm not convinced that it was truly worth it - unless there is truth to what I've read on a previous thread that you can trade it in for a current edition if yours is expired. There are lots of discounts and entries into drawings but they are for all the ports of call - not just the ones that your ship stops at. I found myself going to places I wouldn't have gone just to get some cheap "freebie" - my DH wasn't too thrilled with all the time we wasted.

Yes, I sat thru the shopping talk , which was loads of info. but again, somewhat, IMO, a waste of time as he talked so fast it was hard to know what was really important.

I, myself wouldn't purchase another one, but some may think they are great if they're really into shopping.

Good luck.

Jennifer, there's also something called the Shopping Passport (as opposed to the Ultimate Value Book, which is free for C&A members). The Passports cost $20 (at least, that was the cost on my Alaska cruise last year). You don't have to sit through the shopping lecture, but the folks who do get first "dibs" on buying them. We heard varying stories about how many are available. Believe what you want.

As for what you get ... I liked the tote bag from Del Sol (allegedly a $28 value), and there are some freebies which make great giveaways for the kids back home (adults, too). I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Keep in mind: You get what you pay for. For the most part, it was a pretty fun scavenger game for DH and me. He hates to shop, so putting him in charge of the map and letting him schlep the tote bag was a fun way to spend our day together (whereas, ordinarily, he'd be complaining about having to go shopping with me). However, at the end of the day, you basically have a pocketfull of crap. In fact, one of my tablemates took to referring to the Passport as "Coupons O' Crap." Another friend called hers "ABOC" (Amazing Book of Crap).

Assuming that this is what you meant, if you don't have anything else planned for your port days, and understand that you don't usually get something good for nothing (or little), it's a fun thing to do. At least, once.

Have a great cruise!

Jennifer: The Discover Shopping Passport book is the one I was referring to with my earlier post. I wouldn't bid on it and then pay an add'l. $5.00 for shipping like the ebay auction item is requesting. Like a couple of posters have said - not worth it.

I have been checking out ebay for Royal Caribbean and cruise related items for our upcoming cruise. One thing I have run across is the Platinum Passport Coupon Book. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these books.

Specifically: How much do the books cost on the ship? Do you have to sit through a shopping presentation to buy the book? Are there only 200 available per cruise? Are they worth my money? Are the freebies or discounts worth my time to seek out?

Thanks so much for any help. I love a good bargain, but want to be smart about buying the coupon book as well!

Jennifer

You been looking at Ebay? :( I feel sorry for those that fall prey to so many of these things. Someone is actually selling tender tickets making it sound like you have to wait hours to get off otherwise, down right wrong. Anyway, off my box.

These books you do not have to sit through the presentation BUT I usually do on a 7 day because they throw about 10 items into the audience as they talk about where to shop. You can walk in buy the book and leave. The book for $20 is not worth it to most but you have to know if it's right for you. It has all of the ports and you will only be stopping at a few. Book is usually good until about November of the current year. The coupons are for a lot of free junk, keyword junk. Plastic key chains & plastic rings, free shots of tequila. We buy it because our daughter loves the junk. Usually will have a Del Sol color changing bag which retails for $19.99 but once you have a few you don't need many more. We also bought our first one for the free charm bracelet from Diamond International that came with a stamp card and at each port we get a new charm for the bracelet. I gave my last one away knowing it was going to expire before I went on another cruise. If you buy expensive jewelry I think there are some coupons for that but usually just showing your map gets you the same discount. Don't buy it on Ebay, just ask on Cruise Critic and maybe someone else has one about to expire they will give you, I would but fresh out.

Ebay selling should be assamed of themselves!! Never experienced this.

"Those who want them need to take their chances on getting there early and waiting on line … as you can imagine the competition among 3000+ people leaves many out … and I am sure you don’t want to work that hard on your vacation J Getting the book ahead of time allows you to organize everything before your trip, allowing you to enjoy every minute of your vacation and not miss anything!"

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived