Canada Arrival from USA with Connection - Do you have to collect bags first?

Our upcoming sailing to Alaska out of Vancouver on Koningsdam has us connecting through Calgary.  We'll arrive from the US on concourse E and then depart for YVR from C as far as I can tell. 

Does Canada have a similar rule as the US where connecting passengers have to collect their baggage, clear customs and then recheck the bags for the next flight?  I've been to Canada several times but never with a domestic connection.

Thanks for any heads-up!

It's been several years but we flew from Seattle to Iceland with a plane change in Edmonton. Boy, were we surprised as we were walking toward the main terminal (outside of security) and there was a carousel with our bags on it. We had no idea we had to claim them and recheck them. I also lost a jar of local jam I bought at SEA to take as a get-together prize. 

• Thanks 1

A few years ago, a change was made and you no longer have to collect and then recheck your bags. We frequently clear customs/immigration in Toronto before flying on to Ottawa, and very much appreciate this change. However, I'm not certain if all Canadian airports have now adopted this change, nor if all airlines have adopted it. My recommendation would be to check with your airline.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Susie, thanks Foremco!  I did download the ArriveCAN app which lets you do the arrival documentation ahead of time and, hopefully, will speed things up.

• Thanks 1

We recently (May) connected in Toronto and did not have to collect our bags. When we asked we were told that the airline we were on did not have to. That was Westjet, partner of Delta,  so since we were asked, perhaps it doesn't apply to all airlines. It was not addressed on our arriving flight. 

That said, we certainly would have had plenty of time to do so as we had a delay of several hours in Toronto. 🥺

• Thanks 1

I'm on WestJet too.  As recommended by Fouremco, I'm going to give them a call and confirm.  My connection time is 90 minutes.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

With a 90 minute connection time, you'd best hope you don't have to collect your bags.  If this is all on one flight booking, then it is a "legal" connection; however as you have to go through Canadian Border Services when arriving in Calgary, don't dawdle once off the plane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

With a 90 minute connection time, you'd best hope you don't have to collect your bags.  If this is all on one flight booking, then it is a "legal" connection; however as you have to go through Canadian Border Services when arriving in Calgary, don't dawdle once off the plane.

It's a single booking through Westjet.  I checked their website and they have hourly flights to Vancouver from Calgary which is good if we can't make the connection.  But the bags could still go on the booked flight!

Good news you're on one booking.  I wouldn't worry too much, just don't dally on your way through Canadian Border Services and getting to the next gate.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, LetItSnow said:

Thanks Susie, thanks Foremco!  I did download the ArriveCAN app which lets you do the arrival documentation ahead of time and, hopefully, will speed things up.

Yes it will.  Look for the Advanced Declaration (Express) lines when you enter the Customs area.  They'll be the lines with no one in them.

BTW, US Customs has the MPC app.  Same idea and worked beautifully when we left Toronto for LAX recently.

• Thanks 1