Scarlet Lady June 30th to July 7th Review

Grumpella

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Grumpella, thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Grumpella was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I went on this cruise with my son who is 31.

I am an experienced cruiser, this was my 26th cruise (10 Norwegian, 5 Carnival, 3 Royal, 2 Celebrity,2 MSC, 1 Holland, 1 P and O and 1 Princess).

We had a sea terrace balcony.  The hammock was very nice. My only complaint is the bathroom is very small, the smallest I have ever had, and I have been in solo cabins.  lol

Virgin's service is top notch.  The restaurants were better than any specialty restaurants that I have been to on other cruise lines (and that includes the MSC Yacht Club).  The shore excursions were well organized and left within 10 min of the scheduled time.  I have waited in the theater on NCL for 45 minutes sometimes. The internet was very good. The room service was pretty quick, only 20 minutes, though I did find the menu a little limited as compared to other cruise lines.  My deep blue extra benefits included a free bag of laundry, which was returned in 1 day, it takes 2 days on NCL.

Downsides:  I thought the shore excursions were very pricey and not that good as compared to other cruise lines. We went on 5 shore excursions; a Village, Vineyards and Views in Toulon (I give this a 5), Cinque Terre 2 Village Visit in Marina di Carrara (I give this an 8), Napoleonic Tour with Panoramic Views ( I give this a 4) and Path through Prunelli (I give this a 3) in Ajaccio and Wine Tasting in the Ibizian Countryside in Ibiza (I give this a 9, excellent tour guide and great winery visit).  

Virgin Voyages is also more expensive than the other cruise lines I have used, even considering the included internet and gratuities.  I often travel solo and the solo prices are not comparable to other cruise lines, especially NCL.

My son picked this cruise and he was very happy with it.  I like to pick my cruise based mainly on the stops, followed closely by the price.  I prefer more than 4 stops during a 7 day cruise.

Will I try Virgin Voyages again?  Yes, absolutely, if they have some stops that I haven't been to and have more than 4 stops in a week.

• Like 3

Assuming you separated the beds in the cabin, how was that?  Cruising with my sister on Scarlet in a couple weeks and have heard the sideways bed is basically on a hard “box” and not very comfortable. What were your impressions on that part of the cabin?  Thanks 

• Like 1

The beds were very comfortable. One bed was coming out from wall and the other bed was adjacent to the wall, so an upside down L. Lol

I was on the bed adjacent to the wall, so my feet where at his head. But there was plenty of room, so I wasnt going to kick him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpella said:

The beds were very comfortable. One bed was coming out from wall and the other bed was adjacent to the wall, so an upside down L. Lol

I was on the bed adjacent to the wall, so my feet where at his head. But there was plenty of room, so I wasnt going to kick him.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!!!

18 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Assuming you separated the beds in the cabin, how was that?  Cruising with my sister on Scarlet in a couple weeks and have heard the sideways bed is basically on a hard “box” and not very comfortable. What were your impressions on that part of the cabin?  Thanks 

@Tyler414 you are correct in that the sideways bed is basically on a hard "box" and not very comfortable. I was in that bed on my first cruise. On my last cruise I was by myself so I was looking under the bed and assessing what was going on. The beds are on a frame with flexible metal mesh under the mattresses. So when the sideways bed is moved over there isn't a lot of give now to that mesh because it is resting on the box. Of course, then I was looking at everything and wondering why they couldn't just set up the beds for two people into a modified V rather then an L shape. That would allow more cushioning from the frameworks mesh.

• Like 1

The opinion of the comfort level of the beds on VV is very divided.  I am in the camp that does not find the beds in the standard cabins at all comfortable.  Personally, I think they are among the worst beds at sea.  Obviously, there are plenty who disagree.  

• Like 1

I find the VV beds to be the most uncomfortable at sea.  Since my first VV cruise in 2021, I now bring a blowup camping pad that adds about 2 inches of air padding.  Now I don't wake up with a broke back.

• Like 2