3rd party tours from Naples/Capri

Tina80

Hi,
We will be sailing on Royal Caribbean 9 night Greek isles in October. On day 2, it will port in Naples/Capri. I would like to arrange my own tour to visit Positano, Amalfi coast and Ravello but the tours I am looking at have the meeting point listed as: Naples Maritime Station, Naples Maritime Station or Stazione Marittima. When I googled where Royal Caribbean ship stops at Naples, I see Molo Beverello. Is this going to be too far from the tour’s meeting point?
Thank you

Posted (edited)

Molo Beverello is the port for ferries.  The cruise ship port, Molo Angioino, is adjacent to Molo Beverello.  Even the slowest walker can get from the cruise terminal to Molo Beverello in less than five minutes.

image.thumb.png.a89aef49f62c8ba7b318bea3165e309a.png

Edited by euro cruiser

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

Hi,
We will be sailing on Royal Caribbean 9 night Greek isles in October. On day 2, it will port in Naples/Capri. I would like to arrange my own tour to visit Positano, Amalfi coast and Ravello but the tours I am looking at have the meeting point listed as: Naples Maritime Station, Naples Maritime Station or Stazione Marittima. When I googled where Royal Caribbean ship stops at Naples, I see Molo Beverello. Is this going to be too far from the tour’s meeting point?
Thank you

Thank you for your reply, this was very helpful. Sure, I will be happy to come back here and review each and every port and activity we do.

For the Naples port excursion, I have narrowed it down to three company, two of which are private companies (Rome in a Limo and Tour of Italy), I have also found a group tour through Viator for a fraction of the price. Almost everyone is advising to go with a private tour, although Viator is reputable too.

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

Thank you for your reply, this was very helpful. Sure, I will be happy to come back here and review each and every port and activity we do.

For the Naples port excursion, I have narrowed it down to three company, two of which are private companies (Rome in a Limo and Tour of Italy), I have also found a group tour through Viator for a fraction of the price. Almost everyone is advising to go with a private tour, although Viator is reputable too.

Go with the locals. There are definitely downsides to the brokers, like Viator. If you look around you will see posts about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Go with the locals. There are definitely downsides to the brokers, like Viator. If you look around you will see posts about them.

By locals do you mean companies like Tour in Italy, Italy Tours and Rome in a Limo? If not, could you please advise which company operates the Viator locally in that area? Thank you

4 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

By locals do you mean companies like Tour in Italy, Italy Tours and Rome in a Limo? If not, could you please advise which company operates the Viator locally in that area? Thank you

Yes, that is what I mean by "locals". Viator seeks low bid locals. That may vary day to day, so may not be easily predicted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, that is what I mean by "locals". Viator seeks low bid locals. That may vary day to day, so may not be easily predicted.

Thank you

18 hours ago, Shella73 said:

I am going in September a d will be Using Toursby Italy. I will report back. I'm using them for 4 ports. 

I haven't heard of them, only heard of Italytours.eu and Tourofitaly.com. I guess I have to research this tour too 🙂

20 hours ago, Tina80 said:

could you please advise which company operates the Viator locally in that area?

Viator is another broker which does not itself operate tours but instead books you on to the tour with a local company which actually operates it. The local company pays Viator a commission for giving them the business.

It is sometimes possible to trace the company by googling some of the tour description but not always.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Viator is another broker which does not itself operate tours but instead books you on to the tour with a local company which actually operates it. The local company pays Viator a commission for giving them the business.

It is sometimes possible to trace the company by googling some of the tour description but not always.

Yes I understand that and tried to look for the local company that operates the non-private Viator Amalfi coast, Positano and Ravello tour but wasn't able to find the info. Since the local companies I have contacted (Tour of Italy and Rome in a Limo, etc.) only offer the private tours, I was wondering if anyone used the non-private tours to visit that area and if so, what was your experience with that? Thank you

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Tina80 said:

I understand that and tried to look for the local company that operates the non-private Viator Amalfi coast, Positano and Ravello tour

That itinerary sounds like too much time would be needed from Naples if you actually stop in each location instead of simply driving all day. Is it at least 8 or 9 hours long, and if so will the timings match your port timings?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

That itinerary sounds like too much time would be needed from Naples if you actually stop in each location instead of simply driving all day. Is it at least 8 or 9 hours long, and if so will the timings match your port timings?

According to the private tour company yes, the time matches and they will be able to drive us back to the port in time (they have something written in their quote in line with a guarantee transfer back or all expenses paid). So we'll see. Not sure if same goes for a tour operated bby Viator

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 5:40 PM, Tina80 said:

tried to look for the local company that operates the non-private Viator Amalfi coast, Positano and Ravello tour but wasn't able to find the info

Sorry.  I thought this one above was the one you were referencing and I  was surprised to see Ravello included as it sometimes is and sometimes not due to time and traffic constraints especially if you are getting free time in each and not simply  drive throughs and/or photo ops.  It is also a very long day for your child, and for adults too.

Edited by edinburgher

We've discussed this in the OP's other threads, no matter who the tour company is, to get from the Naples cruise port to Positano and Ravello and back will require four hours of driving time.  It's a lot of sitting, but at least they know this going in.

• Like 1

That is a long drive, I am starting to regret that decision. The only reason I wanted to visit Positano was the cascading colorful cliff houses. Last time we went to Naples we weren’t able to hire a driver who was willing to drive us there.

14 hours ago, Tina80 said:

The only reason I wanted to visit Positano was the cascading colorful cliff houses

Only you can decide if the driving time, effort and cost are worth it to you personally.😀

• Like 1

I also agree with using a local tour company if possible.  I have used Rome in Limo on my last 2 visits to Italy ( 6 different tours so far), and will be using them again this month.  I've booked various tours and services with them and have had an excellent experience every time.  I'm not sure how many are in your party but you could make it a shared tour (an option that Rome in Limo offers).  All of my tours were shared to fill a van from 6 to 8 passengers.  The contact person with Rome in Limo is Jany - she is incredible.  Very efficient and quick to respond.  She can also create a tour for you based in your requests, and will let you know what will work or not.  When I've booked, I have shared my tour info here on Cruise Critic and also on other social media for my sailing and filled my van every time.  Others are often looking for the similar tour and happy to join.  The more in your van, the less expensive the cost per person.

Someone also noted the distance to drive, and yes, that can be an issue.  The RIL drivers are always in contact with others in the area sharing traffic or other issues affecting travel.  We had one instance (on our way to Positano) when there was an incident on the road to Sorrento that would affect our plans.  Our driver explained the situation and as a solution, offered a wine tasting experience at a vineyard at the base of Mount Vesuvius.  There was a charge for it, but everyone in our group agreed and we had the most unbelievable lunch / wine tasting experience.  So unexpected but a huge highlight on this trip.  Flexibility can be key in this area, but SO worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sapphireblue said:

I also agree with using a local tour company if possible.  I have used Rome in Limo on my last 2 visits to Italy ( 6 different tours so far), and will be using them again this month.  I've booked various tours and services with them and have had an excellent experience every time.  I'm not sure how many are in your party but you could make it a shared tour (an option that Rome in Limo offers).  All of my tours were shared to fill a van from 6 to 8 passengers.  The contact person with Rome in Limo is Jany - she is incredible.  Very efficient and quick to respond.  She can also create a tour for you based in your requests, and will let you know what will work or not.  When I've booked, I have shared my tour info here on Cruise Critic and also on other social media for my sailing and filled my van every time.  Others are often looking for the similar tour and happy to join.  The more in your van, the less expensive the cost per person.

Someone also noted the distance to drive, and yes, that can be an issue.  The RIL drivers are always in contact with others in the area sharing traffic or other issues affecting travel.  We had one instance (on our way to Positano) when there was an incident on the road to Sorrento that would affect our plans.  Our driver explained the situation and as a solution, offered a wine tasting experience at a vineyard at the base of Mount Vesuvius.  There was a charge for it, but everyone in our group agreed and we had the most unbelievable lunch / wine tasting experience.  So unexpected but a huge highlight on this trip.  Flexibility can be key in this area, but SO worth it. 

Thank you for your great comment, very helpful. I tried posting about it on my roll call, but no one was interested in joining. I really would love to visit Positano, that has been on my bucket list for so long. Was your drive so long too? Did you get car sick or regret it because of the long drive? Was it worth it in your opinion?

1 hour ago, sapphireblue said:

I also agree with using a local tour company if possible.  I have used Rome in Limo on my last 2 visits to Italy ( 6 different tours so far), and will be using them again this month.

I don't think this in any way changes your point, but Rome in Limo is a Florida (USA) based company.  The employees on the ground are Italian, the company is not.  Nevertheless, the reviews here are universally positive.

4 hours ago, Tina80 said:

Thank you for your great comment, very helpful. I tried posting about it on my roll call, but no one was interested in joining. I really would love to visit Positano, that has been on my bucket list for so long. Was your drive so long too? Did you get car sick or regret it because of the long drive? Was it worth it in your opinion?

Positano is beautiful.  I will say that on our two visits there, we had a very short time there (it's never long enough in Positano), as we had to fit in the other stops in busy traffic. The drive is a while but I honestly don't remember it being long.  There is so much to see along the way - it's a very scenic drive.  The driver (while not a tour guide) provided a lot of great information along the way, and made a few photo stops along the road.  I didn't get car sick, but asked to sit in the front of the van and I was fine.  (One in my travel group took something and promptly fell asleep, and missed a lot. 😄).  

Yes!  It was worth it to me. The beauty of taking a tour like this, is that the driver can make changes to the itinerary, and stop if there is a need to with a small group.  They will also take you to a restaurant for lunch somewhere along the way, often with a wonderful view to enjoy.

In my experience, after posting on my roll calls, here and other places (along with having Jany add it onto their website that my tour was open to share) it can take a while for others to join.  We filled our van days before our cruise the last time I travelled.  Some wait until just before they travel to look at tours.  My small group of 3 decided that even if no one joined our tour, we were ok to pay the tour rate, because we wanted to visit  

I would suggest to go with what you feel you're the most comfortable with. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I don't think this in any way changes your point, but Rome in Limo is a Florida (USA) based company.  The employees on the ground are Italian, the company is not.  Nevertheless, the reviews here are universally positive.

Can you provide some info on this? I have been researching it...I find that "Rome Limo" is based in Miami, but not "Rome in Limo".

If you really need it, the incorporation info was posted on these boards years ago.  There was an issue with a member who was promoting RIL for personal gain (setting up and promoting tours then getting her passage free, as I recall), maybe ten years ago.  She pushed it too hard, which caused some of us to do some digging around, ...

Again, I'm not sure what difference it makes today since everyone here reports great service from them.