Cruise First with Military discount

1 hour ago, jingle5616 said:

Can I use a Cruise First certificate and still receive the 10% military discount?  Anyone, Anyone, Bueller????

I think you meant "CruiseNext"  if so then - You bet!   I do it all the time.  Once you get "certified" (for lack of a better word) as Military, it will automatically give you the military pricing, then you just apply the CruiseNext to your reservation and voila'.    

1 hour ago, Triguy2009 said:

I think you meant "CruiseNext"  if so then - You bet!   I do it all the time.  Once you get "certified" (for lack of a better word) as Military, it will automatically give you the military pricing, then you just apply the CruiseNext to your reservation and voila'.    

I stand corrected and apologize,  I forgot that there are both a Cruise First and a CruiseNext.   However,   I also found out that you can use either in conjunction with your Military discount.   Enjoy!   Hope to see you at one of the Military appreciation functions.    So far I have 5 different NCL ship patches.  

After our last Military gathering on the Jade a couple months ago, I doubt I'll bother attending another one. It took all of ten minutes (if that). The Cruise Director introduced a couple of lower ship officers, there was no food/drinks, no social time afterward. All they asked was, "Who was Army?", etc,, and then adjourned. Should have gone to the pool, with Mrs. Schmoopie.

• Like 1

army 1968 thru 1970. my wife and i have been on 3 of these, we've had the standard

watered down drinks, and some hors d'orves. While these meetings themselves,  are not much to write home about,  since they all seem to be an hour or less, and  im not concerned about meeting any ship officers, or certainly not social enough to want to chat/mingle with the others, but that being said, if ncl is nice enough to stage a small tribute to veterans, i can certainly give up an hour of my time to attend. besides, i like getting the free pictures. maybe you should have taken mrs schmoopie along with you.

BTW, ive posted before, whenever anyone says "thank you for your service"  I always respond " dont thank me, i was drafted". My wife hates when  i say that

• Like 1

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

maybe you should have taken mrs schmoopie along with you.

BTW, ive posted before, whenever anyone says "thank you for your service"  I always respond " dont thank me, i was drafted". My wife hates when  i say that

I went with one of our cruising companions, also a Veteran, who had never been on NCL before. I played up the Veterans event and he was excited. Suffice to say, he wasn't very excited afterward.

When people say, "Thank you for your service", I always say to myself, "Where were you in 1972 when I was walking around DC in my military haircut and being sworn at and called a baby killer?"...among other things.

• Like 1

hey schmoop! while i agree. it's nothing to get excited about, it's better than a stick in the eye, or a kick in  the tushie (LOL)

and i still think it's nice gesture on the part of ncl

Posted (edited)

I think anything they do recognize our veterans is a good thing.  CCL has a great big fancy video production, but much of it is self serving, how we love love vets because we are CCL and it focuses way too much on them rather than out vets.  But, it does bring the vets together so they can have some fellowship, if they so choose.

i always liked

it when they did the gathering on the first sea day so that they could meet one another on the front end, in case they find someone they connect with.  On a cruise three years ago, it was on a last sea day event and we sat with a couple who turned out to live 25 miles from us, the guys hit it off like crazy (surprised someone didn’t have to call security on these two 🤭)   We have supper once a month and as we’ve all been through some medical challenges three of that foursome were in the hospital waiting rooms while we waited for news of the fourth.

NCLs invitation is a well done, witty salute to guys who have gotten orders in the past.  Our SIL is a Navy vet and a bit of a recluse, he knew he would get a military discount but I’d not clued him in n the invite, challenge coil, etc.  He was impressed by the outreach with the contents of the invite and actually went to the event.  It didn’t last long but he appreciated the effort.

yeats ago, NCL offered a veterans discount but discontinued it around 2009 or so, which I thought was unfortunate.  I was glad to see it return.

the meeting may be lame on some ships, but others do it well.  I’m just glas they haonor our vets at all.  They deserve it.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Thanks 1

I was elated to find out that as a surviving spouse, I qualified for the military discount. I used both the military discount and cruise next certificates.  My husband gave up attending the NCL meeting because it was so lame.  He loved, and we always attended the Carnival veterans programs.  It is bitter sweet that there are so few WWII veterans left.  Some of our best cruise stories were of meeting veterans around the ship.  We met a man who was 82nd airborne in WWII, he apologized for having to use a walker (really, bad knees who would have thought!)  Another time we were seated with a 90 year old man and his wife, they were newlyweds!  He wore his Marine Corps uniform to elegant night. My husband proudly wore a Marine Corps lapel pin to dinners and a USMC ball cap during the day.  

• Like 1