Ocean Cay Lighthouse Beach Closer Today

Posted (edited)

It’s gorgeous here today but wondering if anyone knows why Lighthouse Beach is closed today.  I haven’t been able to get any answers.  My suspicion is “sharks”.  There’s a lot of checking of the nets at the various beaches by staff.IMG_5840.thumb.jpeg.77b6a065d4b1bf7e94ce62b375a06905.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg

IMG_5847.jpeg

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

May it's closed because they are moving it "closer" as your post title suggests! 😉

Once they get the location right, they'll open it again!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, JAGR said:

May it's closed because they are moving it "closer" as your post title suggests! 😉

Once they get the location right, they'll open it again!

Yes!  Maybe that’s it!  (Darn autocorrect and the ship’s wonky wifi).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Yes!  Maybe that’s it!  (Darn autocorrect and the ship’s wonky wifi).

Sorry! As I am the King of "Type-O's" I had to have fun with this one!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, crbonfiber said:

Shark net is damaged and needs to be fixed before they let swimmers in, I have no clue how long it will take

Thought so.  We ended up probably swimming with the sharks on the unguarded beach next to Lighthouse Beach.  It was beautiful but risky I’m sure.

IMG_5906.thumb.jpeg.778fc07f5fc56cc8e00ea82771426766.jpegIMG_5901.thumb.jpeg.d78ca57c7ad29a2c32cc18991d0925a3.jpeg

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

It was closed when I went the week of July 22. The tram driver told us it is because they are dredging to allow the larger cruise ship in ( New one that is being built). It was closed for swimming during the day, but it was open at night for the light show and beach party.

• Like 1

I too saw the broken net and thought that is the reason for Lighthouse beach closure.  When I asked a worker at the Lighthouse beach, he said it is "for safety from the new Yacht Club island construction machineries, etc"  I think it's just an excuse, the Yacht Club island being built is north of the pier and nowhere near the Lighthouse beach.

There is a new island being built just north of the pier, right now it's just pile of soil with construction truck on it.  I asked what it was and they said it was going to be the new Yacht Club island with a bridge to the main island (similar to the North Island).  As far as the Lighthouse beach being closed (" because of the construction"), they said it will be at least 6 months.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:21 PM, LorraineP said:

First time hearing about YC island. When will it be completed? Staying in YC 2nd week of October 2024. 

I did not take a picture of it, but the large OC map given on the ships shows the new YC area.

Maybe someone can post a picture.