How many travel agents to use?

On 8/2/2024 at 6:32 AM, Sololux said:

I’m thinking of booking a relatively expensive cruise and will be travelling solo.  I’m interested in getting a good deal but using knowledgeable TA’s.  I’ve identified two in the U.K. who can provide the level of service and expertise that I think I need for the type of cruise I have in mind.  I will be looking for cruise, flights, hotels pre cruise and possibly post cruise plus transfers airport - hotel - ship and return

My question is should I just stick to asking one TA to produce the package or ask at least one more to assess what deal they are offering?

From my understanding of how most TA's operate in the UK you would do far better by looking for a North American based TA

On 8/7/2024 at 8:33 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

From my understanding of how most TA's operate in the UK you would do far better by looking for a North American based TA

Perhaps the case, but North American TA's may only be able to sell in CAD or USD.  TA's are regulated as are the public from booking outside of their domains.  

Find a single TA to work with and who has experience in the type of travel you are interested in.  TAs like real estate agents have specialties and some are generalists.  

as to commissions, I owned my own business (not travel) for 30 years. Upon retiring I was offered a job as a TA. I was shocked, TAs are not making that much money and they must share that commission with their agency. Most good TAs are not in cahoots with any particular cruise line.  Particular cruise lines may offer occasional limited time bump ups in commissions for all or select sailings.  Most TAs would qualify for those extra commissions.  

I have found the best sale prices are early with an early booking bonus package.  I always try to find a way to book with a refundable or low cost deposit so I can reprice the cruise if a better deal shows up