Malta, Morocco & Med excursions questions

stu52

For anyone who has done this cruise, which excursions would you recommend and can you give an approximate cost.

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, stu52 said:

For anyone who has done this cruise, which excursions would you recommend and can you give an approximate cost.

Thanks in advance.

We just booked this cruise for next March, but I think it is a new itinerary which has not sailed yet. I think the first is this November.

10 minutes ago, tobique33040 said:

We just booked this cruise for next March, but I think it is a new itinerary which has not sailed yet. I think the first is this November.

Ah....correct you are.  I suppose a better question would be if you have booked this cruise, which excursions are you most looking forward to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

I just heard from someone on a November roll call that they were able two nab two previously sold out tix to the Alhambra for $229 pp.  we are on this cruise next fall, and I am also interested.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I just heard from someone on a November roll call that they were able two nab two previously sold out tix to the Alhambra for $229 pp.  we are on this cruise next fall, and I am also interested.  

Ummmm….Unless they added people, these folks might be in for a rude surprise. The Alhambra excursion is non-cancellable, according to MVJ. Earlier in CC someone related that there were two “cancellations” and new people bought those slots. The problem is, the Alhambra will have issued tickets with the other couple’s names and the new people will not be able to get in without tickets in their own names. (I think I’ve got this explained correctly, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.) The info on CC was that the new purchasers were denied entry when they got to the Alhambra.

Here is what MVJ says for the Alhambra tour (in our TA in Oct):

Please note: once booked, this tour is nonrefundable and tickets are non-transferrable.

Edited by LindaS272

Last year we and several on our voyage booked a private tour of the Alhambra. It was well worth the price for guidance around that complex and astonishing site/sight.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

The problem is, the Alhambra will have issued tickets with the other couple’s names and the new people will not be able to get in without tickets in their own names. (I think I’ve got this explained correctly, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.) The info on CC was that the new purchasers were denied entry when they got to the Alhambra.

This sounds correct. We had to submit passport copies to our tour operator to get tickets *and* present both tickets and passports at several different gates onsite.

Edited by JDincalif

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Ummmm….Unless they added people, these folks might be in for a rude surprise. The Alhambra excursion is non-cancellable, according to MVJ. Earlier in CC someone related that there were two “cancellations” and new people bought those slots. The problem is, the Alhambra will have issued tickets with the other couple’s names and the new people will not be able to get in without tickets in their own names. (I think I’ve got this explained correctly, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.) The info on CC was that the new purchasers were denied entry when they got to the Alhambra.

Please note: once booked, this tour is nonrefundable and tickets are non-transferrable.

Yes, that’s my understanding too.  But just passing along what I heard.  I think we might try a private tour  I have over a year to look into this.   The other big question seems to be about the visa for Algeria. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Last year we and several on our voyage booked a private tour of the Alhambra. It was well worth the price for guidance around that complex and astonishing site/sight.

Who did you use?  How much?  TIA

2 hours ago, stu52 said:

I suppose a better question would be if you have booked this cruise, which excursions are you most looking forward to?

We are booked for January, 2026 and have done a number of ports on this itinerary with Viking.

We booked the cruise because of Malta and Morocco -- and Tunis if we actually get there (this will be our 4th attempt with Viking). Corsica and Cadiz are an added bonus.

Barcelona, arrive early and stay late, there is just so much to see in the city and in nearby provincial cities and towns. One time, instead of staying in Barcelona before our cruise, we flew to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim Museum and its building designed by Frank Gehry.

I've already done the following ports with Viking: Barcelona, Marseilles, Rome, Algiers and Malaga.

In Marseilles, we took the tour to Aix-en-Provence. It was during Christmas vacation and the town was hopping. Nice walking tour and then time on our own.

In Rome, if you want a less wearing day than going into Rome, either go to Ostia, the ancient seaport, or to see the Etruscan Necropolis outside of Tarquina and the Archeology Museum in Tarquina --or even just tour what Civitavecchia has to offer.

Algiers was a big disappointment. We took the included tour. Big mistake. This trip we will do it differently. Because of visa requirements, unless you want to spend $160pp for a visa, we are limited to the tours offered by Viking.  There are two ways to get in and out of the port: on a Viking tours bus or on your own with the $160pp visas in your hand.

Malaga, we did not go up to Granada. We have been before. Besides which it was January 5 and Malaga was holding its annual Arrival of the Three Kings parade (called "La Cabalgata", one of many going on around the country; always held on Epiphany Eve and always quite an experience). Unfortunately, the parade did not step off until 6pm, as the captain blasted the horn and sailed us off into the set sun. But we did get to enjoy the rush of the last minute shoppers and the cafe-bars full to capacity with Malaguenos anticipating the holiday the next day -- and the parade that evening.  We had a great day in Malaga -- the Picasso Museum followed by the Thyssen Museum and preceeded by an unexpected visit to an exhibition of one of my favorite painters Joaquin Sorolla. No idea what it is going to be like at the other end of January.

No idea what I want to do in January, 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tobique33040 said:

For a few years now, CC member CharTrav has been keeping a spreadsheet for Viking's oceangoing fleet. Her information confirms that November is the first sailing of this particular itinerary. Note that Viking has been to most of the ports on this itinerary already.

The latest edition is: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/062f9aow9gvpfr9oruzji/Viking-Ocean-Expedition-Cruises-2024-to-2026.xlsm?rlkey=x2hrknzryauv1xd4b1ksji4op&dl=0.

If you want to follow or ask questions about the spreadsheet, see Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stu52 said:

Thanks in advance.

Stu, forgot to say thank you for starting this thread and hoping that it becomes a "got-to" thread for sharing information about the itinerary.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I agree with what it says on the offering for this tour, but somebody opined that it will actually have a deadline to book with no penalty. My booking window opens on August 16th, so I don’t know yet.

My preferenc3 would be to go with Apain Day Tours, but I don’t think we have twelve guests booked for ours yet. My sailing is December 1st.

To the OP, a nice tour offered is a string concert at the Cathedral in Cadiz. It’s an evening tour. Sounds totally lovely to me!

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Algiers was a big disappointment. We took the included tour. Big mistake. This trip we will do it differently. Because of visa requirements, unless you want to spend $160pp for a visa, we are limited to the tours offered by Viking.  There are two ways to get in and out of the port: on a Viking tours bus or on your own with the $160pp visas in your hand.

Hello my Andrea,

Just booked this cruise yesterday. Doing preliminary research on the visa situation for Algiers.

Mu guest statement says that a visa is required.  The Algerian consulate website states that no visa is required for travelers arriving by cruise ship.

I do have an e-mail to Tell Us. 

My question to you is how did you find out that you don't need a visa if you are only on a Viking tour, but you do need a visa to go off on your own?

As always, thanks for your contributions to the board. 

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Stu, forgot to say thank you for starting this thread and hoping that it becomes a "got-to" thread for sharing information about the itinerary.

Peregrina651,

you're welcome and I hope this thread continues as people go on this cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Hello my Andrea,

Just booked this cruise yesterday. Doing preliminary research on the visa situation for Algiers.

Mu guest statement says that a visa is required.  The Algerian consulate website states that no visa is required for travelers arriving by cruise ship.

My question to you is how did you find out that you don't need a visa if you are only on a Viking tour, but you do need a visa to go off on your own?

Let us know @MikeyB what TellUs says. We’re booked on the March 2025 cruise (now sold out).

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Let us know @MikeyB what TellUs says. We’re booked on the March 2025 cruise (now sold out).

I will be happy to.  I just love how they always call you and won't reply in writing.

My cruise is this December 19th.  As a Christmas/New Years cruise, the second thing I like about Viking is how they cancel ports that they schedule months ago on Christmas and New Years day.  As a result, on this sailing we are at sea on Christmas day when the itinerary had us in Valletta for a second day, They substituted Tangier for Casablanca (12/30).  And instead of Malaga on NYD we are at sea.  Please note, that on the second day in Valletta the ship departs at 2pm (or so I read).  As a result, I will be spending more time in the Living Room.  Woe is me.

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Hello my Andrea,

Hey, Mikey,

I won't ask when but if you are sailing with us in Jan2026, I look forward to seeing you on the roll call.

Wow, how did I know? Oh, jeez, I don't remember that detail. Lotta water under the dam. I learned about it as I was doing my research for the cruise.

I just heard from someone who has an e-mail into the Algerian Embassy (sent today). That is better than asking Viking because it is Algeria's rules/law not Viking's. I'll share what I learn.

My normal starting point for visa info is the travel.state.gov.  If I start getting conflicting information, as we are right now, then I start reading further afield -- like on the consular website of the country in question.

REMEMBER, your visa requirements are based on the passport you carry, not on where you live.

Just now, Peregrina651 said:

Hey, Mikey,

I won't ask when but if you are sailing with us in Jan2026, I look forward to seeing you on the roll call.

Wow, how did I know? Oh, jeez, I don't remember that detail. Lotta water under the dam. I learned about it as I was doing my research for the cruise.

I just heard from someone who has an e-mail into the Algerian Embassy (sent today). That is better than asking Viking because it is Algeria's rules/law not Viking's. I'll share what I learn.

My normal starting point for visa info is the travel.state.gov.  If I start getting conflicting information, as we are right now, then I start reading further afield -- like on the consular website of the country in question.

REMEMBER, your visa requirements are based on the passport you carry, not on where you live.

I should never question the great Peregrina (at least in public).

I found this from our State Department web site-

Passengers arriving via a cruise ship and who will be part of an organized shore excursion do not require a visa in advance. Passengers wishing to visit certain cities of the south may qualify for a visa on arrival if this is organized by an approved travel agency.  All other travelers must obtain a visa from an Algerian embassy or consulate in advance of travel. If you have Israeli entry stamps in your passport, you may experience difficulties.

So I guess the State department expects that if you stay within a shore excursion you don't need a visa.   I should note that I looked at the GenVisa link on Viking and saw nothing for Algeria.  

I will be calling the Algerian consulate next week.

Why does cruising have to be so confusing?

16 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I should never question the great Peregrina (at least in public).

Never give a simple answer when a more complicated one will do!🤐

The visa question is complicated. So much conflicting information out there. Algerian consulate says one thing. US State says another.

24 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Why does cruising have to be so confusing?

To keep these board hopping.

• Like 1

Thanks to all with calls and emails into various organizations regarding the visa situation for Algiers. I look forward to your future postings. We are on the Dec 1 sailing and just booked our excursions this week. Now working on various independent excursions to supplement. Silly me, I did a live chat with Viking and they assured me that the visa that Viking provides applies to independent exploration as well, either on our own or with an independent operator. Also, will plan on doing a semi-live posting while cruising. 

12 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

And we are booked, Nov. 2025, so also following enthusiastically. 

I am still on the sidelines for this one. It is an excellent itinerary for my purposes, but I am anxious to see how this works out in real life. My concerns are possible port cancellations, winter weather, and price. Realistically, I also expect that if they add additional sailings for spring or fall dates, then the price will go up accordingly.

Still, it is Viking, which earns bonus points in my book. Looking forward to reports back once sailings begin.

13 hours ago, MikeyB said:

I will be happy to.  I just love how they always call you and won't reply in writing.

My cruise is this December 19th.  As a Christmas/New Years cruise, the second thing I like about Viking is how they cancel ports that they schedule months ago on Christmas and New Years day.  As a result, on this sailing we are at sea on Christmas day when the itinerary had us in Valletta for a second day, They substituted Tangier for Casablanca (12/30).  And instead of Malaga on NYD we are at sea.  Please note, that on the second day in Valletta the ship departs at 2pm (or so I read).  As a result, I will be spending more time in the Living Room.  Woe is me.

Any time  an itinerary includes Christmas and/or New Years Day in Europe, guests should expect changes. Most of the destination listed in the shore excursions are closed to visitors and the drivers and guides don't want to work either; they want to be home with families and friends. Guests complain when everything is closed and no tours are offered in port.

We have done the Western Med three times now with Viking and not a single time has the itinerary gone as planned.  In three attempts, we never made it to Tunis.   Will I ever see Carthage?