Sunshine 426's "First Person" Acct of Star Fire

sunshine426

Wow, it must have been really frightening for you all. Glad everyone is fine. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed account of your experience.

Reading this does make me feel that Princess really does train their staff regarding safety very professionally and thoroughly. I will feel very safe onboard my next cruise in May.

The fire doors on most modern ships are designed to keep the spread of both fire and smoke to a small area. You will note as you walk the halls the very large metal doors proped open against the walls. These doors are not spaced very far apart for obvious reasons. These fire doors are controlled from the bridge and will close in any area affected by fire. Yes, it is possible to be caught between two doors with no place to go. The doors can be opened. It is necessary to check for heat prior to opening the door first. The doors can be opened by using a release button on the wall near the door. The doors are quite heavy so after releasing them you will need to push or pull hard. After passing through the door it will automatically close and latch behind you.

If you were paying attention during the muster drill you will remember that there are lights on the floor directing you to the nearest exit. The lights will be yellow and turn to red as you near an exit.(some ships have diferent colors so don't quote me on the color) Remember if there is smoke that it is best to keep low. If you encounter heavy smoke you may have to go back and find an alternate more lengthly route to an exit.

A lot more information on all of this can be found on the "technical" thread about the fire.

Stan

What do they instruct us about the fire doors? Are we supposed to feel them first to see if they are hot?

Sasha'smom - If the fire alarms are ringing, you should always feel a door before you open it, even your cabin door. Always feel it with the back of your hand, because if it's scorching, you could burn the skin right off the palms of your hand and effectively incapacitate yourself in the process.

Also, if you have your wits about you to remember, wet a washcloth before you go to breathe through to help with smoke inhalation. It's important, too, to remember to take your key with you in case your exit routes are cut off and you need to get back inside your cabin or hotel room. I sleep with my key beside the bed so I always know where it is.

Thanks, Sunshine (and everyone) for posting your story. It's comforting that the stories are all sounding the same as far as how the situation was handled so well by the crew.

Hi Karen & Rich,

What a surprise to find that you were on this cruise, and I'm so glad that all of you are ok. I hope this doesn't ruin cruising for you or your girls.

Thanks for posting. I know that I will do a couple of things differently now--first of all pay attention to the fire escape route and paying better attention to the muster drill.

Would love to hear from you. Our Hawaii cruise still remains one of our best memories of all time.

Millie

Millie and Jamie (spingal), Thanks for your concern. We are all fine, but I think I have spent more time on the intenet now than I did in the muster station. LOL. This won't stop us from cruising, we booked a future cruise the night before we disembarked.

Regarding a Part 3: Maybe, we were on the ship for another 48 hours after the announcement that the cruise would be terminated. I'm just not sure if people aren't a little tired of the stories.

CJSkids initial fire thread also has some very insightful first person accts of their muster experience.

Thank you to all who have been praying for the families aboard the Star.

Thank you for such an objective and thoughtful account of a very difficult ordeal. If I could chose who I would have with me in a crisis, you would be one of the first!!

Thanks again, Kathy

Sunshine - It sounds like you raised two terrific kids. As the saying goes - "If you're handed lemons, make lemonade." To say the least they kept their wits about them and made the very best of a bad situation. Thanks for your account of the situation. Happy sails!!!!:)

To Sunshine and all who have returned from the Star - I have read many of the posts on this topic. Now that some of you who have experienced that fire firsthand have begun to post, just want you all to know you have been in our thoughts and prayers from the very first news of this event. We thank God you have safely returned to your homes and we mourn the loss of the man who had the heart attack. Please also know that the information you will be able to pass on to all of us may at some future time provide us with the knowledge we might need if a similar situation presents itself. I know until now, even after many cruises, we have never known much about the fire doors or how to open them. Also, never before have we actually made a list of the absolute necessities to take from the cabin. I am now making that list. Never before have I actually thought about having a "set" of clothes readily available to jump into quickly. And now. I may always be happy to hear voices in the hallways even if it does disturb my sleep! Those of us who use these boards are fortunate to hear from all of you who were onboard the Star. Thank you for coming here and sharing your experiences.

Karen,

I read your detailed account of your experience on the Star, but Millie had to remind me who Sunshine is! I'm so glad you, Rich and the girls are o.k.

Debbie

Island Princess/Hawaii 2005

The fire doors on most modern ships are designed to keep the spread of both fire and smoke to a small area. You will note as you walk the halls the very large metal doors proped open against the walls. These doors are not spaced very far apart for obvious reasons. These fire doors are controlled from the bridge and will close in any area affected by fire. Yes, it is possible to be caught between two doors with no place to go. The doors can be opened. It is necessary to check for heat prior to opening the door first. The doors can be opened by using a release button on the wall near the door. The doors are quite heavy so after releasing them you will need to push or pull hard. After passing through the door it will automatically close and latch behind you.

If you were paying attention during the muster drill you will remember that there are lights on the floor directing you to the nearest exit. The lights will be yellow and turn to red as you near an exit.(some ships have diferent colors so don't quote me on the color) Remember if there is smoke that it is best to keep low. If you encounter heavy smoke you may have to go back and find an alternate more lengthly route to an exit.

A lot more information on all of this can be found on the "technical" thread about the fire.

Stan

Thanks to Stan for this well thought out reply and also to Tater 1800 who also clarifed the whole fire door scenerio. I did not mean to panic people when I referred to thefire doors. Truly , had we needed to we could have opened them up to proceed thru the passage way to the main stairwell. When I heard that the firedoors were closed by thepassengers ahead of me, I said well let's turn around and find the next exit. I think Ijust fell back on training as I work in a hospital, and know when the fire doors close, you keep them closed to contain the spread of smoke and fire. I really didn't think about what would have happened if I was trying to escape via the firedoor. I think Iwould have pushed foreward andthen crawled if needed to escape the fire, but who knows. Thankfully, the secondary escape route was smoke free and staffed with muster station personelle.

Since ssbeagle asked for more details regarding the fire night after reading my more lighthearted review I am going to try to bump this forward. IF I knew how to add a link from my review to this I would. Any of you more computer savvy people want to help.....

Thanks to Stan for this well thought out reply and also to Tater 1800 who also clarifed the whole fire door scenerio. I did not mean to panic people when I referred to thefire doors. Truly , had we needed to we could have opened them up to proceed thru the passage way to the main stairwell. When I heard that the firedoors were closed by thepassengers ahead of me, I said well let's turn around and find the next exit. I think Ijust fell back on training as I work in a hospital, and know when the fire doors close, you keep them closed to contain the spread of smoke and fire. I really didn't think about what would have happened if I was trying to escape via the firedoor. I think Iwould have pushed foreward andthen crawled if needed to escape the fire, but who knows. Thankfully, the secondary escape route was smoke free and staffed with muster station personelle.
Originally Posted by ssantow

Stan

You know...Re-reading this,is so frightening.I would think I would just about die,if I was caught in-between 2 fire doors.I guess,I should be thankful that I was "safe" with-in the fire doors...But not knowing if the ship was burning down around me would be more than I could handle...

God Bless all of you who had to go through this...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all the wonderful people who shared their stories about the fire...who knows you may save a future life just because of your posts....God bless you and I am so glad you are all alright. What an experience to go through...none of you can ever say you had a boaring life!

ww_babybee_rev1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen -- I just came in from a Panama Canal cruise on the Princess Coral with Debbie & Norma, and they told me about your experience; so I had to come and read for my self. Knowing you both; you made the best you could out of the experiences.

I hope you are not detered from cruising; and hope to cross paths on a ship sometime.

I've had 2 cruises since we met on the Island last year; and have to admit; that was one of the best cruises I have ever taken; and it was all because of our great cruise critic crowd.

All the best to both of you.

Mary

hi mary, glad you have been having a good cruising life...how is aunt jean? I agree that Island Princess was a one of a kind cruise. I want to go scuba diving again... Rich and I are looking at the Crown in the fall.....

• 1 month later...

Hi Karen - Wow the Crown !! Out of NY? Good for you -- I hope you and Rich keep on cruising.

Jean is terrific. She has a cruise set for the spring, not sure of the details, she is going with a friend. She amazes me, 88+ and still going. We had a wonderful time on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal in April.

I'm headed to Alaska next with my fiancee Bill.....we are booked on the Sun princess for Aug 27th. Looking forward to all the beauty of the wilderness and wildlife.

Debbie & Norma have another Hawaii booked for this fall, same itinerary as we were all on.

Keep in touch. Mary

Since ssbeagle asked for more details regarding the fire night after reading my more lighthearted review I am going to try to bump this forward. IF I knew how to add a link from my review to this I would. Any of you more computer savvy people want to help.....

Karen - here is how you do the "add a link" --

open 2 internet explorer windows. Go to your review in the first window, then in the second window open this thread .....

In the first window -- right click on the address line and select "copy"

In the 2nd window (this thread) - open a reply message - type a little note of some sort; and on the tool bar where you are typing there is an "icon of a globe and paperclip) - left click on that globe/clip; it will pop up a little window...it will tell you to enter the URL of your link. Put your curser in the bok and RIGHT click. It should pop it in there.

Hope that works and you understand how...if you have trouble, let me know and I will do it. Mary

Mary, Thanks for the update on everyone, especially Aunt Jean. Rich and I had such a good time getting to know her. We have extra cruise money from our refunds from theStar and are discussing all of our options. Now we are leaning towards the Mexican Riveria out of San Francisco (which is such a beautiful city, plus we could get some great wines to take with us....

• 9 years later...