What size magnetic hooks

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Place one of the stuck together magnets on the edge of a table, counter, desk, etc, and the other off the edge.  Push down on the one off the edge.  It really does work to unstuck them.

Generally one can "twist" magnets apart when they can't "pull" them apart. I have a small pile of insanely strong magnets I pulled from head computer hard drives. I don't have a lot of use for them but they are really strong. I've glued small bits onto foreign coins and such from our cruise travels and they make crazy strong - and interesting - refrigerator magnets.

The magnets with hooks that I use were advertised as "40#" magnets. (Yes, before Twitter or X or whatever other idiotic social media thing there is the octothorpe (#) was used to mean "pounds".) They work great in my cabin but I don't believe the rating. There is a "vertical pull" rating and a "horizontal pull" rating. Not even vaguely the same. A straight down pull - such as something suspended from the ceiling - is a vastly greater weight tolerance than something placed on a wall where the weight is dragging in a different way. Having said that, I don't use them for anything very heavy anyway. I stick every Patter in a pile under one. I use one to hold my hat and one to hold my wife's hat. I use them to hold a number of things that aren't actually heavy but are convenient to have handy on the wall rather than in a mess on the desk. Think about what you will actually use them for and then decide what to purchase. None of them are really very expensive at all and, if they are, you are being robbed. Just get something with a rare earth magnet and you should be fine.

Edited by Thrak

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

Nobody ever talks about getting them off the wall or ceiling...one reason to get the ones just strong enough to hold what you want to use them for.  

Use a coat hanger for leverage.

On 8/11/2024 at 4:32 AM, 555 said:

I've got some heavy duty ones & once they've stuck to each other, they're almost impossible to separate. 😦

Once you get them apart, stick a paper clip in-between and let them go

This is my favorite hook. I have no idea what the weight restriction is. We use our hooks mainly for hats and our lanyards but I’m sure this would hold more. I got it at Daisho (Japanese dollar store) so you have to be in a big city but for anyone cruising out of the Port of Los Angeles or San Francisco and spending a day prior with transportation, it’s a cool shopping experience.

IMG_3391.jpeg