Royal Caribbean Cinque Terre excursions

ck11140

Wondering if anyone has taken any of the Royal Caribbean tours to Cinque Terre?  We are signed up for the small group tour but are concerned about the activity level. I know Cinque Terre's geography can be challenging.  I see most of the tours say strenuous but can anyone comment on how active that may actually be? 

1 hour ago, ck11140 said:

Wondering if anyone has taken any of the Royal Caribbean tours to Cinque Terre?  We are signed up for the small group tour but are concerned about the activity level. I know Cinque Terre's geography can be challenging.  I see most of the tours say strenuous but can anyone comment on how active that may actually be? 

The activity level will depend on which villages (there are 5) are visited on the tour.  Every village does involve walking (including some slopes) and the walking can become longer, depending on how close to the village you get via the transportation.  

I have never been a big fan of cruise ship excursions of their descriptions.  Using terms like moderate and strenuous really does depend on one's point of view.  Many cruisers have trouble walking the length of their ship, and few will use the steps to even go down a single deck.  On the other hand, there are plenty of folks for which a few miles of walking is not a big deal.  A friend put it properly when she said "my moderate is another's death march."

If you have more info about the excursion, such as which villages it visits, some of us can probably be of more help.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The tour goes to Riomaggiore, Monterosso and Manarola by bus. I totally agree with what you said about each persons activity level is hard to judge. We are late 60s/early 70s and walk easily with out any help. We were just in Alaska and walked 15K steps a day but its was flat with almost no steps. We can easily walk a mile or two and handle some steps but frequent inclines and large (20-30+)numbers of steps may be more difficult to us. Royal also has an excursion by boat which "could" be easier but is till labeled strenuous. We have spent multiple days in Florence before so we were really looking to visit Cinque Terre. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ck11140 said:

Wondering if anyone has taken any of the Royal Caribbean tours to Cinque Terre?

As your question is specific to RC, in addition to this thread, consider cross posting on the RC Board where RC passengers who may have previously taken this tour would be more likely to see it and reply.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ck11140 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The tour goes to Riomaggiore, Monterosso and Manarola by bus. I totally agree with what you said about each persons activity level is hard to judge. We are late 60s/early 70s and walk easily with out any help. We were just in Alaska and walked 15K steps a day but its was flat with almost no steps. We can easily walk a mile or two and handle some steps but frequent inclines and large (20-30+)numbers of steps may be more difficult to us. Royal also has an excursion by boat which "could" be easier but is till labeled strenuous. We have spent multiple days in Florence before so we were really looking to visit Cinque Terre. 

If you can handle 15k steps a day, you will be fine :).  The villages are actually quite small and so darn crowded that a group can move fast.  Riomaggiore and Monterrosso are connected by the most popular hiking trail (within the region) which has been closed for many years due to mud/rock slides.  It is reopening this summer and, your tour might include a short walk on this trail (likely on the Riomaggiore side) although it is very doubtful a HAL excursion would include the entire hike (all the way to Manarola.  Both Riomaggiore and Monterrosso (the villages at either end of Cinque Terre) have parking/drop off areas that are best suited (among the 5 villages) to larger buses.  Of those 3 villages, my favorite is Manarola (love some of the views fro that village).  Although all the villages are always too crowded, the most crowded are Riomaggiore and Monterosso (because they both have parking lots/garage).  If you take that excursion make sure to wear comfy footwear and a decent hat.

Hank

• Like 1

This is one of the few ship excursions I have done.  I thought that planning myself from Livorno would be hard.  It was mainly bus, boat and train.  Not difficult.  The descriptions from the cruise line mostly give you an activity level.  

I always take a travel towel and wear a bikini on this type of trip.  I recall needing it at some point.  Not near my photos so cannot check which.  

• Like 1