ADA/Wheelchair Travelers?

Cruising_Gals

On 9/16/2024 at 3:40 PM, KBs mum said:

Healthy eating will not repair accident damage, genetic or birth problem disabilities. 

Exercise may be impossible for those affected. 

Getting old is not a disability

Sounds like cruising is not a good option in those cases.

I am often annoyed by people who treat otherwise abled people poorly.  Those people who comment on people’s mobility issues may someday have limitations themselves. For some people cruising can be a good option with mobility limitations.  Just did a cruise that had several tender ports. There were people who chose to stay onboard .  They could view the scenery from the ship, enjoy the ship features, attend a lecture or see a show, and dine in many places. It was a vacation. As we age, many people have less mobility.  Viking lets them see the world in comfort. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I am often annoyed by people who treat otherwise abled people poorly.  Those people who comment on people’s mobility issues may someday have limitations themselves. For some people cruising can be a good option with mobility limitations.  Just did a cruise that had several tender ports. There were people who chose to stay onboard .  They could view the scenery from the ship, enjoy the ship features, attend a lecture or see a show, and dine in many places. It was a vacation. As we age, many people have less mobility.  Viking lets them see the world in comfort. 

Very much of this exactly.  I have mobility limitations and while I am still capable of getting on and off tenders, my walking is limited.  I choose to take excursions that are within my ability, or I stay on the ship.  
We are currently on a driving vacation in Europe, where we will be getting on a riverboat later today.  I am going to appreciate how much easier the next 8 days of this trip will be for me.

There will come a time where my ability to travel is going to exceed my will.  I recognize this and hope that I stop before I annoy others.  
Incidentally, no amount of exercise or healthy eating would improve (or have prevented) my situation.  A combination of a congenital disease and a poorly placed infection scrubbed my ability to walk as before.  I hate it when people make these assumptions.  There are a lot of mes out there.

• Like 3