Car Rental Sydney Nova Scotia

grandma13

Has anyone tried to rent a car in Sydney? We wanted to do that the day we are there, but I have no idea how to find one close to the cruise terminal or how to get to another location.  Our US phones will not work in Canada so we can't call them. Is it just too complicated to be worth it?

Hi @grandma13  

This Cruise Critic thread may help, although it is originally from 2018:  https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2553525-car-rental-company-at-port-charlottetown-sydney-and-hailfax/

You could always take your phone to a nearby coffee shop if you don't have WiFi onboard and try a call on WhatsApp.  It seems they may be able to pick you up by shuttle or bring a vehicle to you, but you should investigate this now before your trip to make those arrangements.

I will be renting a car from Enterprise while in port in Sydney.  I was able to discuss the logistics with them by phone and feel comfortable proceeding with this as my game plan for the day there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I will be in Sydney on a Thursday later this month on the Mein Schiff 1.  I arrive at 7:30 am  and the ship leaves at 5:30 pm. I have a scheduled a rental car pick up with Avis at 8:00 am.  I am planning to drive up the Cabot Trail.  Assuming I am on the road around 8:30 ish, a few questions:

- I am hoping to get as far as Ingonish, perhaps has far as Neil's Harbour (but no further).  Timewise, I think that looks reasonable, but am curious if people who have done this think that is realistic.  I would be aiming to return the car by 3 pm.

- are there any preferred places to stop along that drive (e.g., scenic visit, short hike, villages, etc.)

- any favorite restaurants along the way (e.g., for lobster roll/oysters; any bakeries/coffee places)?

- any other tips, highlights, or things to avoid?

Thank you in advance!