YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

14 minutes ago, drumming cruisers said:

@YVRteacher How do you get bubbles aboard the ship? I didn't think you could take any liquids through security. 

You can take liquids thru security...you just can't take water, soda, alcohol (except wine if you have the drink package). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is just delightful to follow your adventures on this cruise with your dad! Having patience and a sense of humor is so important when caring for a parent and you have these qualities in spades! Looking forward to fun things to come

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wavesprite said:

Can anyone ask to go to the Moderna salad bar when dining at Cagneys? 

I was wondering the same thing. But it might be because of the Ambassador status?

Or else, they heard that Yvonne is now a Princess Princess and Dad is the real King of Beers.

Royalty has its privileges. 

• Haha 11

16 hours ago, Wavesprite said:

Can anyone ask to go to the Moderna salad bar when dining at Cagneys? 

Anyone can ask but it is up to the Maître D or restaurant manager whether or not permission is given. On this ship they won’t let me choose the items myself. The maître d walks with me and puts the items I select on the plate then delivers the plate to the table so I’m not walking through Cagney’s with it.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I was wondering the same thing. But it might be because of the Ambassador status?

Or else, they heard that Yvonne is now a Princess Princess and Dad is the real King of Beers.

Royalty has its privileges. 

No connection to status. I am a vegetarian and there is nothing for me to select from the Cagney’s menu. I have been eating from the Moderno salad bar when we go to Cagney’s since we were only Bronze.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Anyone can ask but it is up to the Maître D or restaurant manager whether or not permission is given. On this ship they won’t let me choose the items myself. The maître d walks with me and puts the items I select on the plate then delivers the plate to the table so I’m not walking through Cagney’s with it.

He's making sure you're not taking all the frog legs...

• Haha 6

Day 4 Juneau

Morning balcony views.

IMG_3031.thumb.jpeg.f139a386633f716948fb5953755754f5.jpeg

IMG_3033.thumb.jpeg.c41ef8c4edc1a6aeb95035132bb26bef.jpeg

IMG_3032.thumb.jpeg.9488aed4f52b79186a292ea13e3ec4cc.jpeg

IMG_3035.thumb.jpeg.5e173ef8d1a0aeef9e8be25b7726aee3.jpeg

I found an island dense with trees. There are enough trees on this one island for NCL to build another dock in downtown Ketchikan instead of using Ward Cove.

IMG_3034.thumb.jpeg.423b73b21d79cdab314fd7c3156a54d3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

We arrived in Moderno for breakfast at 9:02. Coffee didn’t come until 9:26. I asked over and over and over for our food and the waiter just kept apologizing. Dad said, “they keep apologizing but they aren’t fixing anything.”  At one point we had an assistant maître d and the concierge from May just standing at our table. I asked them to go away and let us be.  The assistant maître d was apologizing for the fly in the glass from our dinner in La Cucina. I don’t want to talk about a fly in the glass 3 days later.

Dad made himself his own parfait this morning at the Moderno buffet but he chose based on colour rather than object recognition and came back with a glass of grapefruit layered with peaches and walnuts. He winced through the whole thing and pretended to like it. He hates grapefruit!

The Maître d in Moderno was in a meeting this morning and our outstanding waiter was not there: service was slow like the slug I told my dad to poke yesterday to see if it was still alive.

It took 37 minutes for our hot food to come.  This is not acceptable. The food was good but we were ready to leave by the time it arrived.

IMG_3037.thumb.jpeg.07e7bb00ec7043b46b8f20e8a5689624.jpeg

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.d91b3fdf622d1976f9e2a7bb7d99a9a1.jpeg

I have perfected my morning breakfast open faced stack of yumminess.

IMG_3038.thumb.jpeg.d9b38b63e68922a0263f0369c20d033d.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

We arrived in Moderno for breakfast at 9:02. Coffee didn’t come until 9:26. I asked over and over and over for our food and the waiter just kept apologizing. Dad said, “they keep apologizing but they aren’t fixing anything.”  At one point we had an assistant maître d and the concierge from May just standing at our table. I asked them to go away and let us be.  The assistant maître d was apologizing for the fly in the glass from our dinner in La Cucina. I don’t want to talk about a fly in the glass 3 days later.

Dad made himself his own parfait this morning at the Moderno buffet but he chose based on colour rather than object recognition and came back with a glass of grapefruit layered with peaches and walnuts. He winced through the whole thing and pretended to like it. He hates grapefruit!

The Maître d in Moderno was in a meeting this morning and our outstanding waiter was not there: service was slow like the slug I told my dad to poke yesterday to see if it was still alive.

It took 37 minutes for our hot food to come.  This is not acceptable. The food was good but we were ready to leave by the time it arrived.

IMG_3037.thumb.jpeg.07e7bb00ec7043b46b8f20e8a5689624.jpeg

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.d91b3fdf622d1976f9e2a7bb7d99a9a1.jpeg

I have perfected my morning breakfast open faced stack of yumminess.

Your 'open faced stack of yumminess' looks delicious! 

• Like 1

It wasn’t on the Freestyle Daily but we sure had fun at the Spot the Typos on the Officer Board.

IMG_3046.thumb.jpeg.672948a9493a1153df42844866c0c595.jpeg

IMG_3047.thumb.jpeg.4a6a7039086725a4b316aa3427442b49.jpeg

IMG_3048.thumb.jpeg.31cc66b14623a4123904367b27a530f4.jpeg

If I had known snack steward was a job I would not have done a teaching degree!

IMG_3049.thumb.jpeg.682e62ee325a41dba1ac6140e13cc15d.jpeg

It is great that she is honoured to be on the Epic. I wonder how she feels about the Jewel?
IMG_3051.thumb.jpeg.f0204441ca00fb8a04c1b6695559f356.jpeg

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.957023fa9fe4dd31e50c94bacced5da8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

I have a story about one of these fruit bowls! I haven’t had time to write it yet. We have been so busy having fun!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Do you think they know you are writing a trip report (I always wonder if they know) or they are just trying to pacify you at this point or have given up? Usually a discussion will generate better service. I’m glad you and your dad are still having a good time. I’m enjoying your conversations with him. 

• Like 4

Thanks for doing this trip report. I really enjoyed your reports from the Princess cruises, and am glad to see you decided to cover this one. So happy that you and your dad are enjoying your Alaskan adventure.  Your dad is a gem, as are you.  

• Like 3

On 8/24/2024 at 2:39 PM, YVRteacher said:

We arrived in Moderno for breakfast at 9:02. Coffee didn’t come until 9:26. 

It sounds like you are having a fabulous cruise with your Dad. Thank you for doing a live review. 

We have cruised in Suites or the Haven this past year on Pearl and twice on Gem. It is normal for us to wait 37 minutes or more for hot food to come when eating breakfast in Moderno. If you have been served your hot food faster than 37 minutes, you must be on a VIP list to bypass all other orders. We tended to arrive at breakfast about 30 minutes before it closed and expected to be there for an hour. If we went when it opened when there were only a few other people there, we’d get served the hot food within 10-15 minutes.  The buffet food and fruit kept us occupied until the hot food arrived. 

We have experienced getting the French press coffee delivered after the hot food arrived but that didn’t happen too often but a few times when every table was occupied. 

When on the Prima in a suite, there were very few passengers in suites who went to breakfast in Cagney’s so we were in and out in 30 minutes and the coffee arrived within 3 minutes. 

With you having to wait for your hot food, how did you have the willpower to not touch the yummy fruit and muffin until your hot food arrived? 

Have a great week with Dad!

• Like 7

This is just a pop in quick post to say we are both doing great. The spa passes this week were well used! Food continues to be hit and miss. Drinks are great, bartenders are great, crew are great. We change cabins for the southbound journey tomorrow. I have thousands of words written but can not post with photos and usually can’t post at all using ship’s internet and I want to be respectful of my dad while we are ashore and not be on my phone. This live will be less live and more post cruise than usual.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2024 at 8:14 PM, lazydayz said:

Thanks for doing this trip report. I really enjoyed your reports from the Princess cruises, and am glad to see you decided to cover this one. So happy that you and your dad are enjoying your Alaskan adventure.  Your dad is a gem, as are you.  

He is a terrific dad!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 5

On 8/24/2024 at 12:59 PM, firstmickey said:

Do you think they know you are writing a trip report (I always wonder if they know) or they are just trying to pacify you at this point or have given up? Usually a discussion will generate better service. I’m glad you and your dad are still having a good time. I’m enjoying your conversations with him. 

There is no indication to me that they know I’m writing a trip report. On the Star last summer I told them and on the Spirit last July I told the internet manager who immediately gave me unlimited free internet for the rest of the trip. Other than those two cruise I have never said anything about the writing I do here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

In the Yukon I worked hard on my new hobby: animal portraiture

Love these! Especially the one with the tongue sticking out. I hope you don't mind if I download it and use it to texts raspberries at people (ahem, DH) when they say something annoying. 

Thanks for doing another live; it's always a pleasure to follow along. 

• Like 6