YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

We returned to the Jewel at 1:35pm.

At 1:45pm I called guest services because the toilet was overflowing drip by drip. When I picked up the phone I debated for a moment whether or not to press the ‘emergency’ button. This felt like an emergency!

I was able to find our room steward before the plumbing department arrived and he put towels down and was able to stop the overflow.

There was a blinking message on the phone from the Guest Services Manager, Emil, saying to call him. He wanted to know if our toilet was working.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 10

At 2:03pm I went to guest services to follow up. I asked to speak with Emil.  The man at guest services did a pretend go to the back room to look and came back to say “he’s not here.”

I said I wasn’t leaving until I spoke to somebody. It said it could be Emil or the GM. 

The guest services rep called Emil. He then handed me the phone. I said no, I wanted to speak with someone in person. I repeated that he could call the GM or the guest services manager. Emil told the guest services guy over the phone that he would be available in three hours. I said no. This is day 5 without a working toilet and I wasn’t waiting three hours. Eventually Emil told the guest services man he would be with us in a few minutes.

What horrible customer service. 

We sat down in the Atrium to wait. Emil arrived and apologized and said he was with another guest. I believe this is a lie and that he was on a break.

He sat with us in the Atrium and heard our concerns. I went through everything, from the mean bartender yesterday, the poor food, the hair in the nachos, the awful service, the awful concierge, the failure of the guest services rep to follow through with our account and the onboard credit not showing up, the breakfast in Moderno that ended before it was supposed to and of course the toilet. 

Emil told me the toilet was fixed.

I told him I JUST called guest services because it was overflowing and the plumbers were there NOW trying to get the toilet to stop spilling over!

He then offered me $200 onboard credit and a free meal in a specialty restaurant.

He asked, “Will you accept this?”

I did not accept this paltry sum.

There are three evenings left and we have five free specialty meals for two we have not used plus $200 in specialty dining credit we can not use (due to time and crappy restaurants.)

A free specialty meal does not replace a non-working toilet.

I asked if GM Fabrice was still on board. I haven’t seen him once this cruise. He said Fabrice has been informed of our concerns and asked Emil to deal with them and us. 

At the end of the meeting I very helpfully informed Emil that the word Philippines was spelled incorrectly on his name tag. I am sure he was deeply grateful for this. 

Stay tuned. 

• Like 20

On 9/2/2024 at 3:59 PM, YVRteacher said:

As we were walking back to catch the shuttle more shop dog cuddles happened. So soft! So potato shaped!

IMG_4691.thumb.jpeg.e01aac6941e5bc892f02b5a6585383a1.jpeg

IMG_4692.thumb.jpeg.5bf08ee72d4a0b6d222d0f1048b75a78.jpeg

People had to step over this dog to get in and out of the store. 

This will be me if I try all that fudge! 

Really enjoying your review and your relationship with your dad warms my heart. I'm sorry to hear that things are going so poorly on your cruise. Of course things don't always go right but the reaction ( or lack of action) is just unacceptable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, YVRteacher said:

The Cruise Next manager has not even said hello to us. 
IMG_2980.thumb.jpeg.9bd433dfd568f6ab92ae53edc6ee04e1.jpeg

It was X number of days until Chzariendale acknowledged you.

We've been on quite a few when she's on board, either as the GM's secretary or Cruise Next Manager. The last time she was nearly invisible the entire cruise. Her staff was superb though.

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

As you can see, Skagway was doggone busy!

IMG_4822.thumb.jpeg.96607416017ebe6fe8b07373f5d63715.jpeg

IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.b5e5ee64d643f7d05934be14bc75f201.jpeg

IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.7a638228517eacc9d294a8941d2707f2.jpeg

IMG_4825.thumb.jpeg.c6a6a62bcb29dcf4bb53587098dd6987.jpeg

In Vancouver the law is dog walkers can walk up to six dogs at a time. I wonder what the limit is in Skagway?

I absolutely adore this woman! She has the privilege of walking all those dogs, I'd assume many days, and does such a great job with them. Plus, that t-shirt. I absolutely NEED that t-shirt!! Yes, when I get done reading your live, I'm going to Sir Google to find it and order it for myself. Perhaps people will stop approaching me when I have that shirt on. It'll absolutely find itself on the cruise I'm on! 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

EDIT: Want the t-shirt? Here you go - beware, it's $40!!!

https://www.momountainmutts.com/product-page/selectively-social

Somewhat funny? Sad? I'm not sure - we lived in the Rochester, NY suburbs. Over there in that part of rule of law land the towns have the audacity to tell you that you can only have so many dogs on your property. In some cases it's two. Some it's five or six. Well, that just doesn't fly with me.  We moved to south of Utica and can have as many dogs as we'd like. We're currently at four of ours and one foster pup. I'd assume Skagway is the same where you can do what you want. I just can't imagine being told that I can't have more than number of dogs on my property...sorry went off on a little rant there. 

Back to your amazing live!!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Photos of real life

IMG_4758.thumb.jpeg.d09d22ec16e1b6d004b979dea9f062a5.jpeg

IMG_4759.thumb.jpeg.e9c70e3e7de53682cfa7f446756e1893.jpeg

IMG_4763.thumb.jpeg.44d8331446c80f2331fff1d9626d29a5.jpeg

IMG_4764.thumb.jpeg.26108db3b9aab8a64115f388075226f3.jpeg

IMG_4765.thumb.jpeg.01650929bfddee1d94f0a3fd84139e85.jpeg

IMG_4767.thumb.jpeg.206e5f0fa8f54ef855b1abf64f0f60c9.jpeg

IMG_4768.thumb.jpeg.652efe80d8b8c1daf8798fcd1bca4515.jpeg

IMG_4769.thumb.jpeg.3ec695dfcd5d03819b75ed148423663e.jpeg

IMG_4770.thumb.jpeg.3fe5e38473f2a9473bb33afd85406146.jpeg

IMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.48db4a0718af31e035831c1643b39ee9.jpeg

You in no way made Skagway appear to be boring! In fact, you highlighted all the parts of a small town community I love. You show it the way it is and (I've said it before) I so appreciate this. It's not all museums, cathedral bells, vast mountain ranges. It's how people live, work, and play. So, this is exciting. Thank you!

• Like 11

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

At 2:03pm I went to guest services to follow up. I asked to speak with Emil.  The man at guest services did a pretend go to the back room to look and came back to say “he’s not here.”

I said I wasn’t leaving until I spoke to somebody. It said it could be Emil or the GM. 

The guest services rep called Emil. He then handed me the phone. I said no, I wanted to speak with someone in person. I repeated that he could call the GM or the guest services manager. Emil told the guest services guy over the phone that he would be available in three hours. I said no. This is day 5 without a working toilet and I wasn’t waiting three hours. Eventually Emil told the guest services man he would be with us in a few minutes.

We sat down in the Atrium to wait. Emil arrived and apologized and said he was with another guest. I believe this is a lie and that he was on a break.

He sat with us in the Atrium and heard our concerns. I went through everything, from the mean bartender yesterday, the poor food, the hair in the nachos, the awful service, the awful concierge, the failure of the guest services rep to follow through with our account and the onboard credit not showing up, the breakfast in Moderno that ended before it was supposed to and of course the toilet. 

I told him I JUST called guest services because it was overflowing and the plumbers were there NOW trying to get the toilet to stop spilling over!

He then offered me $200 onboard credit and a free meal in a specialty restaurant.

There are three evenings left and we have five free specialty meals for two we have not used plus $200 in specialty dining credit we can not use (due to time and crappy restaurants.)

I asked if GM Fabrice was still on board. I haven’t seen him once this cruise. He said Fabrice has been informed of our concerns and asked Emil to deal with them and us. 

At the end of the meeting I very helpfully informed Emil that the word Philippines was spelled incorrectly on his name tag. I am sure he was deeply grateful for this. 

Stay tuned. 

We just booked our first cruise since 2019 and although I looked at an NCL itinerary, I had to rule it out, not because of your experience but because of what I read all over the place about NCL service and food and the cancellation of ports. For instance, the cruise lists Bar Harbor and I’m 99.9% sure it won’t go there. We do not have status with any line and it appears, for now at least, there are far better options. 

All that aside, this is another wonderful review and I’m so enjoying your pictures and commentary and hearing all about your time with your dad.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Stay tuned. 

There's the issue.

No one cares enough to even sit down and talk to you about their egregious failures.

Customer Service Managers, General Managers, etc.....their jobs are varied and demanding, I'm certain.  However, at the very tippy-top of their duties, especially in a service industry like cruising, should be taking care of the guests.

Forget that you're in the Haven.  Forget that you're a Diamond cruiser.  Their first priority should be taking care of their guests. They obviously failed on all counts and didn't have the wherewithal to spend 5 minutes with you.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Kp125 said:

He clearly has no authority to do anything, especially over $200. It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. 

Right?!?  I’m so glad that our May cruise on the Jewel all I asked for was $200 OBC for our unacceptable cabin noise…all day and all night long!  I, too, had to stand at GS counter stating I wouldn’t leave until I spoke with GS manager.  While it did take me 1.5 days…going every three hours, I did finally get resolution.  Sad when there are known issues that the guest has to spend so much vacation time in anger-mode.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Plus, that t-shirt. I absolutely NEED that t-shirt!! Yes, when I get done reading your live, I'm going to Sir Google to find it and order it for myself. Perhaps people will stop approaching me when I have that shirt on. It'll absolutely find itself on the cruise I'm on! 

That is a great t-shirt. With my luck, more people will feel compelled to approach me rather than heeding the warning.

Looking forward to being selectively social with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am holding my breath...fearing something even worse to happen.

@YVRteacher I am so disheartened by your latest experience on the Jewel. After reading your previous glowing reports, I booked a B2B on the Jewel out of Vancouver last year and loved it. It is incredulous just how rapidly the service and quality has spiraled downwards within the year.

Thank you for taking the time to share another heartfelt report of your onboard experience and more heartwarming stories of your Dad.

Have a wonderful school year!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

As you can see, Skagway was doggone busy!

IMG_4822.thumb.jpeg.96607416017ebe6fe8b07373f5d63715.jpeg

IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.b5e5ee64d643f7d05934be14bc75f201.jpeg

IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.7a638228517eacc9d294a8941d2707f2.jpeg

IMG_4825.thumb.jpeg.c6a6a62bcb29dcf4bb53587098dd6987.jpeg

In Vancouver the law is dog walkers can walk up to six dogs at a time. I wonder what the limit is in Skagway?

I need that shirt just for me, not for walking dogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That is a great t-shirt. With my luck, more people will feel compelled to approach me rather than heeding the warning.

Looking forward to being selectively social with you.

That T-Shirt has "you" written all over it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Skagway through the spa window

IMG_4834.thumb.jpeg.2fd18c9e080b16f1667996b571cc2d14.jpeg

The spa was lovely this afternoon because most people were still ashore. We stayed until dad said he was cooked.

Dad doesn’t eat a lot now and his bathing suit is too big. He has to walk clutching it to hold it up so he has the robe on top but he is holding up the bathing suit underneath. He looks like the pope getting ready for the Sunday show. 

At Cruise Next trivia we came second because I changed the John Lennon answer from Bermuda to St Lucia because dad said St. Lucia. At the end the Cruise Next consultant said she hoped we all learned something. I said I learned to trust myself.

IMG_4837.thumb.jpeg.3dae9a941f231a822c65db42109c951e.jpeg

i ordered a Mai Tai and it was bizarre. Something shifted in the drinks this weeks.

Zoom is the word for dinner tonight- my fault, not NCL’s.  Dad wanted to eat before the Latitudes party and I wanted to eat after but dad said 6:30 was too late for dinner. We went to Moderno because the service in the MDR is so hit and miss and I’m tired of the misses. I can also feel the effects of barely any protein in the past 12 days. The Indian food in the buffet is so spicy I can’t eat it. I knew Moderno had bean salad and that was at least something. I doubt I have had more than 15 grams of protein a day on the Jewel and what I did eat was eggs and cheese. 

We didn’t have a reservation and at 5:40pm the hostess told us there would be room at 8:00pm. I said we don’t want meat and she found room. When we got inside it was only half full and when we finished it was still half full. NCL’s idea of full and my idea of full are not the same thing.

Dad had two bowls of soup (different kinds) and shrimp, cherry tomatoes and sliced tomatoes from the salad bar. 

I had salad. 
IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.aa2e4196ca8b7cbc175ca7c9e22a99c5.jpeg

It was fine. Nothing wow, but edible.

We didn’t have any meat or sides. The maître d came and said the meal was courtesy of the restaurant manage but I’m trying to use up meals so I asked her to charge us.

We were trying to get to the Latitudes Party by 6:15 so I requested dessert to go and they delivered it to the room. Dad is never hungry at night so he said he would eat it for breakfast.

At the Latitudes party the useless Cruise Next lady said how happy she was to be on the Norwegian Sun.  Too bad she’s on the Jewel.

IMG_4843.thumb.jpeg.4f0acd72d67d277db9d3fded44d7e5d4.jpeg

Latitudes party drinks. No munchies were served.

IMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.020cd6ba8b272b83fc3df9c7bee64beb.jpeg

Like last week, she talked about herself and her kids and did not thank or recognize the passengers.

GM Fabrice came to talk with us. He acknowledges NCL isn’t what it used to be 

and said with the bigger ships and ships coming out so rapidly they are having a hard time recruiting and then keeping staff. He also said it takes time for crew to be trained to a higher standard and I said it shows. He agreed.

He said the highest he could offer us is $500. I asked him to check with shoreside and I told him this isn’t about the money. He told me he would follow up the next day. 

We never heard from or saw him again on this cruise.

At the end of the Latitudes party after most people had trickled out the cruise next woman came back to the stage and halfheartedly acknowledged the two ambassadors on board and it was clearly an afterthought. I suspect someone complained and it wasn’t me.

• Like 11

We stopped by the cabin to get something warmer for the theatre and saw the desserts from Moderno. They both look so lusciously delicious (we ate them the next day and they were soooooo good.)

IMG_4847.thumb.jpeg.1a61b953e4c111673d38792ec8bc5bcb.jpeg

IMG_4846.thumb.jpeg.17f6f2bd64c18b341bc4ef1a1d243e84.jpeg

Me: “I’m trying to figure out how to fit this in the fridge.”

Dad: “we have a fridge?”

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

I’m so glad we saved the aerial show, Celestial Pas de Deux, for this week.  It was the best aerial show we have ever seen. My dad was saying ‘wow’ repeatedly. Maks and Viktorija did things hanging from their toes inside out and backward that I didn’t know the human body could do.

When Maks had his spectacular aerial solo his pants split open. At first it was a little tear but by the end they were full on hanging open and he was not wearing boxers or briefs. It must have felt pretty drafty because he gave a full butt wiggle at the end and did a little finger point to acknowledge the split.

We didn’t see the Northern Lights on this cruise but we sure did get a full moon.

I guess NCL reduced their budget for strong thread.  These cutbacks are brutal.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 26

13 hours ago, Kp125 said:

He clearly has no authority to do anything, especially over $200. It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. 

We were told by the GM the maximum he is allowed to grant onboard is $500.

• Like 1

I’m sorry for all the unfortunate things that happened on this cruise and in May.

If you could state the compensation you and your Dad thought NCL owed you for the issues that occurred on this cruise, what would be the appropriate amount of compensation?  If it was FCC, would you cruise on NCL again?

I hope you have a great school year. 

• Like 2

That’s a tough question. Fabrice actually asked me that. He asked me to name an amount. I know how NCL works and this was actually an embarrassing moment for me. 

My response was, “this isn’t about the money.” I told him it’s about LOVING the Jewel for so many years and then experiencing such significant decline since 2022.  Fabrice understood that and said the maximum he was authorized to offer was $500.

I also asked what it was like for him to be representing a company and a product that could no longer deliver. Fabrice has extensive experience in the restaurant and vacation industry. He opened and ran a Caesar’s casino resort in Macau, ran restaurants in Perth, worked in the Middle East in the restaurant industry and has been with NCL for more than 20 years. He now lives in Thailand.

I believe the right thing would have been for NCL to offer us a FCC.  

I have more conversations to share but as I said I am trying to keep this chronological.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I am also going to restate something I wrote earlier: we were not miserable and believe it or not we did not have a horrible time. We had fabulous days in every port. Truly. We loved the excursions and we loved the towns. That day at Hubbard was truly incredible. 

We had a lovely time together. We travel so well together. I don’t write every moment of laughter here because some things just don’t sound funny if you don’t have the background information. We laughed a lot!

There were good things on the Jewel. Few things in life are all bad or all good. Keep in mind I’m eating a specialty diet so food was a challenge on this cruise.  The Jewel absolutely can not meet my needs as a vegetarian.  Neither could the Star or the Bliss. The Encore was so-so but not good in the Haven. The Breakaway was the best but nowhere near Princess.

If you eat regular food you likely won’t experience many of the issues we encountered. Also keep in mind that the Jewel has been “our ship” for years, so we have both memories and expectations that others may not have.

Some good things:

-the security team was great. They were patient and friendly and I noticed that they did not rush my dad.

-we went to Maltings most nights. Dan, I Made and Sudhaker were fabulous, right @troyphoto? They were cheerful, worked brilliantly as a team, knew all their passengers, made excellent drinks and just made that bar such a fun place

-we definitely enjoyed the spa on this cruise

-the Haven bathrobes are cushy and comfy

-Aan was on board. Aan should get a promotion. We love Aan. If you go on the Jewel do a tasting event with Aan.

All I’m doing in this trip report is documenting our days. I can’t write about every second. I have been accused of “whining” in my trip reports before which was super hurtful to me. I’m a type A, highly analytical person with sensory issues and to me I’m simply reporting what we experience as best I can. For sure there were service issues, food issues, plumbing issues and management issues on this ship. Unfortunately we experienced them all so that’s what you’re reading.

Is the Jewel the right ship for us? Not anymore.

Is NCL my favourite cruise line? Not anymore?

Would I give a bigger ship another try?

Yes.

I have a free cruise and would like to try the Viva.  I also had a terrific time on the Breakaway this year.

I love cruising and I will continue to cruise. The best thing I did this year was try another cruise line. 

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 30

Skagway evening

Exiting the Stardust Theatre after the jaw-dropping, pants-splitting show, we walked down to deck 6 and through the casino. It was crowded and running full tilt. I told dad with all the money people are losing in here NCL could afford to up their offer to us.😂

Me, after the show: “I didn’t get my money’s worth from the drink package today. We need to go to the bar. Can you stay awake?”

Dad: “it’s past my bedtime but I can manage a drink.”

Dad is a trooper!

IMG_4844.thumb.jpeg.f534e909487926a90470dd13781b28e5.jpeg

Drink tally day 12

Dad

Coffee with cheap Irish cream

Beer with lunch

Beer with trivia

Strawberry caipirinha

White wine

Post show, pre bedtime beer

I am going to hear about this tomorrow. I will get a full account of how many times he had to get up during the night. 

I bought him Saw Palmetto but he doesn’t always take it.

Yvonne

coffee with cheap Irish cream

Mai Tai that was not a Mai Tai during trivia and it was so bad I didn’t drink it

Strawberry caipirinha

Tequila strawberry thing at the Latitudes party but it was watery and odd

Pistachio martini

Fake Bailey’s on the rocks but I wanted a small one and I got a quintuple shot!

IMG_4845.thumb.jpeg.5e6d62d33e58445d6851d14ceab1f6ac.jpeg

Made a little Skagway photo collage of flowers against fences

IMG_4850.thumb.jpeg.67ccabbe06a49e5c99fbfe58d0691cde.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 20