US school summer holiday dates?

kiwiKeith

I am from New Zealand and am planning a family holiday (5 yo and 7 yo)for the northern summer 2007. One of the features of this holiday will be a 7 night Alaska cruise (Vancouver r/t).

To aid us with our planning it would be useful to know when the US (and Canadian) schools take their summer holidays - when will most of the kids be out?

We are not trying to avoiding nor hoping to find lots of kids, but really need to know when the kids will be out so we can factor it in.

As well as Alaska cruise, we will be travelling in California, Alberta and British Columbia.

Traditionally US schools have summer holidays from late May to late August, but that has changed greatly in the past few years as a lot of school systems have developed their own plans. My guess is that that is still when you'll encounter the most kids.

I live in southern California and our school year is from about September 7 to about June 15. However, as tangerinebunny pointed out, many school districts are on alternate schedules. Year-round schools out here go to school for three months, are off for one month, then go back for three months and so on. At those schools, 3/4 of the students are in session at any given time and 1/4 are on break.

KiwiKeith:

By and large, you will encounter the largest numbers of children from the second half of June until the end of August. From early to mid June, and late August to early September, you will find moderate numbers of children.

( By the way, I used to be a flight-attendant for Pan American, and spent many a delightful layover in your beautiful country. Hope to return for an extensive visit one day.)

KiwiKeith:By and large, you will encounter the largest numbers of children from the second half of June until the end of August. From early to mid June, and late August to early September, you will find moderate numbers of children.

quote]

That's about as right as it gets. In Chicago, our kids get out of school mid-June until the day after Labor Day, September. In warmer climates, they tend to get out before June 1st and go back by late August. All the kids are out (except year-round/ Summer school) from late June until mid-August.

In warmer climates, they tend to get out before June 1st and go back by late August.

It's always seemed like an East Coast/West Coast thing to me, not cold state/warm state. East Coast schools seem to get out in late May and start again in August. West Coast schools seem to get out in mid June and start again in early September. In southern California, where I live, it is definitely warm but we have had a September to mid-June school schedule for as long as I can remember.

This is just an aside, as middle-aged mom's reply hit the nail on the head...

Both the school districts here in Anchorage and out in the Matanuska Valley used to be day after Labor Day until second week in June, starting this next school year, 3rd week of August until about 3rd or 4th week of May.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Being from the East Coast (New England area), I can tell you that the majority of children here get out of school in mid/late June and return the first Wednesday after Labor Day in September (or for some, the last week of August). So, I would agree that mid June to the end of August would be the time during the summer that you would see more children onboard ships.

Here in Southern NJ our schools get out June 14 and then return the Tuesday after Labor Day in September. Some private schools get out earlier beause they don't all have the same 180 day requirement that public schools have.

Here in Norfolk, Massachusetts The kids are going to get out of school the third week in June and they go back the week of Labor Day in September.

June 25th! Sun Princess in Alaska, My wife, me and our three daughters 17, 16 and 8 yrs old!

In New Mexico we get out the third week in May and return the third week of August. In DC where we are from originaly the get out the second week of june and return the day after Labor Day.

Jean

Archived