Duty Free Question BOS-FRA-EDI

ORV

We leave in a couple of days on this flight and want to pick up a couple of bottles for the trip. 

We are on Lufthansa and connect in FRA. If we get duty free in BOS is there a problem at either customs, immigration etc at FRA, especially if we have to go back through security again?  

If there is a problem taking it through security will there be a Duty Free available to us in FRA to purchase liquor? Never made this type of connection with that much liquid before so don't have experience with it. 

If not, Edinburgh has liquor stores, if push comes to shove we'll buy some there. 

Thanks for any insight. 

Assuming that you're flying on a through ticket, you shouldn't be clearing either immigration or customs at FRA, so at most you should only need to clear security there. IIRC, Germany will accept US screening, so it's possible that you will connect without being security screened again if the terminal layout permits it.

If the shop in BOS seals the bottles into an approved and compliant STEB, that should be accepted by FRA security (if there is any) so long as you have not opened or tampered with the STEB. One specific thing to note is that the receipt must be visible inside the bag and legible, so that FRA security can if necessary verify that the purchase was made within the previous 24 hours.

I don't know FRA T1, but I would be astonished if there were no shops available to you there. They're a big money-spinner! Your main risk would be a delay to your inbound flight so that you don't have enough time to shop before you have to go to board your onward flight.

If you do buy at FRA, my advice would be to make sure that the purchase is also sealed in a STEB even though you won't be planning to take it through security. One of the most aggravating things is if something goes wrong (eg your aircraft breaks or the terminal is evacuated) and you have to go landside and then clear security, because if the FRA purchase was not sealed into a STEB you may very well have to ditch it before your unexpected passage through security.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

We leave in a couple of days on this flight and want to pick up a couple of bottles for the trip. 

We are on Lufthansa and connect in FRA. If we get duty free in BOS is there a problem at either customs, immigration etc at FRA, especially if we have to go back through security again?  

If there is a problem taking it through security will there be a Duty Free available to us in FRA to purchase liquor? Never made this type of connection with that much liquid before so don't have experience with it. 

If not, Edinburgh has liquor stores, if push comes to shove we'll buy some there. 

Thanks for any insight. 

Your biggest issue might be if liquids in Boston are not sold in a sealed outer bag that meets the security requirements of Frankfurt as you change flights.  Unless you have completely separate tickets for the BOS-FRA leg compared to the FA-EDI one, your bags will be checked right through and you'll have no opportunity to move a bottle to your hold bag.

I'd buy in Frankfurt.

7 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Your biggest issue might be if liquids in Boston are not sold in a sealed outer bag ...

Although this would be almost as astonishing as there being no shops at FRA T1.

The OP can try buying at BOS - and if they then discover that BOS won't do them a STEB, they don't have to give the BOS shop any money. As I've said before, this gives duty-free shops an incentive to do STEBs properly.

• Like 1

BOS is my home airport. Whenever we fly international and buy anything at Duty Free in Terminal E, the item is picked up  by the Jetway entry, in a sealed package/bag and marked as a DF purchase. 

Darcy

• Thanks 1