Downtown Vancouver Hotel - Near Restaurants, Shops and/or Bars

What if we don't need to stay near Canada Place, what area of downtown is recommended?  We do tend to lean toward Marriott or Hilton properties (it's a reward points thing), so the Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver is at the top of our list currently.  It appears to be near lots of retail and restaurants.  However, I have seen various posts that reference staying west in downtown, so is The Westin Bayshore or the Marriott Pinnacle going to be a better location?  We really don't need to have a water view or be within walking distance of the cruise port, but we do want to stay downtown and not near the airport.  It is just for one night, but we would have time to walk to dinner and to breakfast the following day.  I'm not sure how early Celebrity Summit boards, but we aren't scheduled to depart until 5 p.m. on a Friday.

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle- it was close to nearly everything we wanted in walking distance. The Westin Bayshore is near Stanley Park, and in more of a residential location. It's still walkable, but like the Pinnacle. The Bayshore will be quieter though, as the Pinnacle is right in the heart downtown. 

• Thanks 1

If you are fairly mobile, the downtown core is fairly compact and walkable so most hotels are reasonable options location-wise with other factors aside.

The Met is fairly central with some eateries and the Pacific Centre mall nearby but you'll need to walk a block or two to get to more lively streets (eg Granville Street or Robson Street) with shops and restaurants.  

The Bayshore is much more towards the west.  As alluded to above, it's an easy launching point to Stanley Park and is along the water by the seawall which is fairly lively with people.  There are a few (good) eateries in the vicinity but again, you need to walk two to three blocks to Denman Street or Robson street to get more of a cluster of food and retail activity.  

The Marriott Pinnacle is also central as mentioned above.  It's closer to the water by Canada Place so it also has easy access to the seawall. But you're walking more like three to four blocks to Robson Street or Granville Street versus the one or two from the Met.

There's also a Hilton in downtown close to where I used to work.  It's on the eastern end of Robson street by the central library and getting near the stadium district.  The immediate area is lively and has a lot of eateries.  It's fine staying there and you'd likely begin exploring westward along Robson. You're just a bit further away from Canada Place, Stanley Park, English Bay, etc. if that's where you want to visit.  

I mention Robson, Granville, Denman, but also Davie Street as they form kind of a rectangular circuit around the downtown core that generally have a lot of foot traffic, retail, eateries, etc.  Those aren't the only areas of course but it's kind of easy to identify on a map.  I would caution the southern end of Granville by Davie though does kind of get a bit sketchy.  And I suppose the northern end can get a bit sketchy too.    

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 7:20 PM, Milhouse said:

If you are fairly mobile, the downtown core is fairly compact and walkable so most hotels are reasonable options location-wise with other factors aside.

The Met is fairly central with some eateries and the Pacific Centre mall nearby but you'll need to walk a block or two to get to more lively streets (eg Granville Street or Robson Street) with shops and restaurants.  

The Bayshore is much more towards the west.  As alluded to above, it's an easy launching point to Stanley Park and is along the water by the seawall which is fairly lively with people.  There are a few (good) eateries in the vicinity but again, you need to walk two to three blocks to Denman Street or Robson street to get more of a cluster of food and retail activity.  

The Marriott Pinnacle is also central as mentioned above.  It's closer to the water by Canada Place so it also has easy access to the seawall. But you're walking more like three to four blocks to Robson Street or Granville Street versus the one or two from the Met.

There's also a Hilton in downtown close to where I used to work.  It's on the eastern end of Robson street by the central library and getting near the stadium district.  The immediate area is lively and has a lot of eateries.  It's fine staying there and you'd likely begin exploring westward along Robson. You're just a bit further away from Canada Place, Stanley Park, English Bay, etc. if that's where you want to visit.  

I mention Robson, Granville, Denman, but also Davie Street as they form kind of a rectangular circuit around the downtown core that generally have a lot of foot traffic, retail, eateries, etc.  Those aren't the only areas of course but it's kind of easy to identify on a map.  I would caution the southern end of Granville by Davie though does kind of get a bit sketchy.  And I suppose the northern end can get a bit sketchy too.    

Very helpful.  Thank you!

We stayed at the Hilton Vancouver Downtown using points that @Milhouse mentioned for two nights before our cruise at the of July. As they described, it was a convenient location that was walkable to just about everything and had a lot of interesting bars, restaurants, and shops nearby. As a bonus, there is a grocery store on one side of the hotel and a liquor store on the other (if you need to buy wine, for example). The Hilton's concierge Lisa is top notch. She recommended a fireworks dinner cruise to us for the final night of the Celebration of Lights, and she was spot on with her recommendation. 

On our return to Vancouver, we stayed one more night at the Delta Hotel. It was also nice and well located, a very easy walk from Canada Place (we walked with our bags) and the Gastown neighborhood. The Delta appears to be a "suite" hotel, as we had a queen room with a separate living room. Great for repacking our bags post-cruise for the airport.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dctravel said:

We stayed at the Hilton Vancouver Downtown using points that @Milhouse mentioned for two nights before our cruise at the of July. As they described, it was a convenient location that was walkable to just about everything and had a lot of interesting bars, restaurants, and shops nearby. As a bonus, there is a grocery store on one side of the hotel and a liquor store on the other (if you need to buy wine, for example). The Hilton's concierge Lisa is top notch. She recommended a fireworks dinner cruise to us for the final night of the Celebration of Lights, and she was spot on with her recommendation. 

On our return to Vancouver, we stayed one more night at the Delta Hotel. It was also nice and well located, a very easy walk from Canada Place (we walked with our bags) and the Gastown neighborhood. The Delta appears to be a "suite" hotel, as we had a queen room with a separate living room. Great for repacking our bags post-cruise for the airport.

Thank you so much!

We shouldn't need a grocery store or a liquor store, but you never know.  🙃

The prices are SO high in downtown Vancouver that I feel confident that we will go with the lowest cost (points and/or cash) option, but we also want to be an area we will enjoy.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Thank you so much!

We shouldn't need a grocery store or a liquor store, but you never know.  🙃

The prices are SO high in downtown Vancouver that I feel confident that we will go with the lowest cost (points and/or cash) option, but we also want to be an area we will enjoy.

We didn't NEED the grocery store either, but I love to explore grocery stores when traveling. Part of the fun for us! We ended up buying some snacks (Kashi bars only sold in Canada and licorice). Nothing extravagant!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

If looking for saving money, look into the YWCA Hotel.  On Beatty, near Robson, across from BC Place.  Restaurants in the area, and an IGA grocery about 3 blocks away.  It's 1.5km to Canada Place.

Edited by KreinKrunker

1 hour ago, KreinKrunker said:

If looking for saving money, look into the YWCA Hotel.  On Beatty, near Robson, across from BC Place.  Restaurants in the area, and an IGA grocery about 3 blocks away.  It's 1.5km to Canada Place.

We will be sticking with Marriott or Hilton properties.  When your husband’s employer focuses on those two brands for business travel, you stick with points accumulation and/or points payments.

• Like 1