Hiking Cadillac Mountain

BossTweed

Has anyone tried hiking Cadillac Mountain while in port at Bar Harbor? My cruise doesn't offer any actual hiking excursions to the park/mountain, only "scenic bus tours". My wife and I are looking to hike it, but I 'm not sure how feasible that is when you factor in needing to get your own transportation to and fro. For what its worth we are in port that day from 0800 to 1700. We have not cruised before, but its my understanding that if the ship is scheduled to depart at 1700 we need to be back at the pier at 1500 that latest.

Assuming Bar Harbor is your first US port, you need to clear US immigration before getting off. Also, Bar Harbor is a tender port. 

While I have not hiked Cadillac Mountain, I've ridden to the top a few times. Just note that if you hike it up, you need to be able to hike it back down. The tour busses are unable to take on extra passengers for the ride down, and due to the timed entry to the road, it's unlikely you'll be able to call a taxi. 

• Like 1

@1025cruise Thank you for the information. It is our second port of call within the US. We are also sailing from the US. In regard to hiking back down, I do believe we will be fine. My wife is a rather avid hiker, and I can typically keep pace with most things.

Just want to point out that the fact that your ship embarks in the US has nothing to do with the immigration requirements. If Bar Harbor is your first stop after a visit to a foreign country (normally Canada or Bermuda) you will need to go through US immigration. 

Last time I went up Cadillac mountain, there was someone with a baby begging people for a ride down. That's why I wanted to point out that you would need to hike back down.