Having Trouble Booking Specialty Dining - Help!!

Hi everyone,

We are first time cruisers on the upcoming Grandeur for 7th Nov.  We're really excited to try this cruise line and have previously been regulars on Celebrity so we're hoping for a very nice, more intimate type of cruise.  I am reaching out to the Regent community for some advice on how to actually get a reservation in the specialty dining restaurants.  Here's my issue ....

Specialty dining opened up at 8pm last night (Saturday).  I was traveling so could not log in to try to reserve our preferred options last night.  I tried at 6.30 am this morning so less than 12 hrs after reservations opened.  I am trying to book a table in each restaurant on any given night for a table for 4.  I am somewhat dismayed to see that there is literally zero availability in any of the 3 restaurants.  When I do find a time slot/date available (which is literally only 1 or 2 options for the entire week), I try to reserve it for 4 persons, only to be told there are no tables available for 4 persons on that day/time.  

Is this normal????  I find it hard to believe that all specialty dining options for 4 persons are already booked in less than 12 hrs for all time slots for the entire week.  If this is how it is on Regent & this is normal, can anyone share any advice on how to actually secure a table in these restaurants please?

I look forward to any advice Regent regulars can share with a newbie.  Thank you in advance for any assistance the community can provide!

Posted (edited)

TS: 

Need more Info.  Is that Table for 4 persons all your family?  Or, are you trying to book a table for two couples--you and your friends also on that segment?  

If two couples, you need the other couple's booking number, for starters. Have gone through this "Drill" many-times before.  

ALSO--Suggest you review another ongoing Thread--"Specialty Dining With Friends."  Useful Information.  

Waiting your response. 

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context.

I think you are 2 party's of 2 people. Try to make 2 separate restaurant bookings and once on board ask to combine them.

Or as Goarmy said/ask did you use both bookingnumbers?

Seems unusual actually.  Usually it's the tables for four (or more) that are available over tables for 2.  So like GoArmy and Henk123 suggested, might be something you are missing.  As they stated, to book for 2 reservations you must have the other booking number and you must be sure NOT to select "sharing" when booking.  The computer will know that you need a table for 4 when you add the second booking number.  If you select "sharing" the computer will "think" you want a table for MORE than four. 

One easy resolution, is have the other booking number available and call Regent and have them book the reservations for you.  They're always more than easy to work with and happy to do it. 

Also, here's a suggestion. 

When we sailed Grandeur in Jan., on day one when we checked into Compass Rose the Maitre D asked if we'd like to eat in Prime 7 or Pacific Rim as there was no wait for those two restaurants.  We were also a party of four and "beat feet" to Pacific Rim and were seated immediately.  So regardless of reservations, if you're interested, go to the Specialty Restaurants in boarding day.  And there is a Restaurant Reservations office on board. Also go there to get extra reservations if available.  

Thank you GoArmy, Henk123 + Papaflamingo!  Papaflamingo nailed it.  I was trying to book a table for 4 which was 2 couples.  I was entering our friends' names & booking # so I had that bit correct I think.  What I was doing wrong was I was selecting 'share table' thinking I had to do that so to get a 4 top & not a 2 top.  I didn't realize the system would automatically hunt for a 4 with 'not sharing' selected (hope that makes sense).

I've now searched again with our 4 guest names & not sharing selected & have more options.  I've now managed to book specialty dining on the days we wanted.  We've had to make so with the latest times available (9pm) as they were the only times available but we'll work with it.  I'm just glad I managed to get the tables booked on our preferred days.

Question - In your experience if you had a 9pm reservation but turned up a little earlier, like 8.30 or so, is there a chance you can be seated a little earlier or do the restaurants stay pretty full for their duration & stick to your given reservation time?  Just curious as a newcomer to Regent.  Thank you again for all your help & putting me on the right track!

• Like 1

Valpacino:  

The early bird will get the---table. Particularly, as you are currently at the tail-end, so-to speak, of that night's reservation window. If nothing else--show up early.  

Follow papa----'s advice on Post #4.  We have experienced similar opportunities for unexpected availability at specialty restaurants. And, not just on "opening night". These have been for a table for 2. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thank you GoArmy.  I plan to visit the restaurants on boarding day & see if we can move the times up a bit.  We're quite happy to eat 8pm onwards so we're not early diners.  I just think 9pm for our friends may be a little too late for them.  I'm so happy I now have a table in the restaurants!  Food is the biggest thing for us on a cruise.  We're just glad we can now sample these restaurants as I was in fear of not being able to get a table at all!  Thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

• Like 1

Let me add to GoArmy's advice:  a feature of the Explorer-class ships (Explorer, Splendor and Grandeur) is that 2 of the specialty restaurants (Prime 7 and Chartreuse) have small bars next at the entrance where you can enjoy a drink while waiting for your table if you arrive early.  We've seldom seen these utilized, but Regent just leveraged the fact that they needed to have a full bar to support the restaurant patron's orders, so they just made it public and added a few seats and tables...a pretty brilliant solution.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valpacino said:

Question - In your experience if you had a 9pm reservation but turned up a little earlier, like 8.30 or so, is there a chance you can be seated a little earlier or do the restaurants stay pretty full for their duration & stick to your given reservation time?  Just curious as a newcomer to Regent.  Thank you again for all your help & putting me on the right track!

Many times people will cancel their reservations, often at the last minute, or even just not show up. Let the maitre’d know where you will be and to call you if something opens up earlier. Go have a drink and chances are you will get called early. 

Thank you Labonnevie for that excellent suggestion re. letting the maitre'd know we are open to being called earlier.  I hadn't thought of that idea.  Thank you also Portolan for mentioning the bars at the restaurants.  I had spotted those on some of the ship visuals & wondered if they ever got busy as they look nice little spots to relax & wait for your table with a drink.  

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 11:48 AM, Valpacino said:

Thank you GoArmy.  I plan to visit the restaurants on boarding day & see if we can move the times up a bit.  We're quite happy to eat 8pm onwards so we're not early diners.  I just think 9pm for our friends may be a little too late for them.  I'm so happy I now have a table in the restaurants!  Food is the biggest thing for us on a cruise.  We're just glad we can now sample these restaurants as I was in fear of not being able to get a table at all!  Thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

One other suggestion. Near the Reception desk is a restaurant reservation desk. I would use them as they have the schedules for all of the restaurants and can help you with your issues (if available).