What If I Do My On-Line Check-In "Late"?

I am going to be on the Firenze the day the on-line check-in opens for my next cruise (the Spirit).  I have always done the on-line check-in within 30 minutes of its opening up, but I wonder if this is necessary.

I am Platinum, which includes priority boarding.  So what are the consequences of my doing the on-line check-in 7 days in advance of the cruise instead of 16 days in advance?  I know that unless I do the on-line check-in early, my assigned arrival time slot will be late, but as Platinum, does that matter?  Can't I do my arrival whenever I happen to get to the terminal, regardless of the assigned time slot?

I can probably take care of the on-line check-in when it opens at midnight (East Coast Time), using the Firenze's internet.  But the ship no doubt will be having activities at 9:00 p.m. (or 10:00 p.m.?) ship's time that I might not want to miss.  

So, bottom line, as Platinum, does the assigned arrival time make any difference?  This is in Seattle.  

15 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I am going to be on the Firenze the day the on-line check-in opens for my next cruise (the Spirit).  I have always done the on-line check-in within 30 minutes of its opening up, but I wonder if this is necessary.

I am Platinum, which includes priority boarding.  So what are the consequences of my doing the on-line check-in 7 days in advance of the cruise instead of 16 days in advance?  I know that unless I do the on-line check-in early, my assigned arrival time slot will be late, but as Platinum, does that matter?  Can't I do my arrival whenever I happen to get to the terminal, regardless of the assigned time slot?

I can probably take care of the on-line check-in when it opens at midnight (East Coast Time), using the Firenze's internet.  But the ship no doubt will be having activities at 9:00 p.m. (or 10:00 p.m.?) ship's time that I might not want to miss.  

So, bottom line, as Platinum, does the assigned arrival time make any difference?  This is in Seattle.  

I don't see any consequences by checking in at 7 days instead of 16 if you are Platinum

• Like 1

Sounds like you go on a lot of cruises and always get on the ship early.  And no doubt you will likely do any more cruises.  Maybe just once try getting on the ship late...like 30 minutes before cutoff.  Who knows, you might like it.  And what is the worst thing that can happen...you miss one feeding?  Order an extra desert at dinner!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

As Platinum, you can check in online 48 hours ahead of other guests, but that does NOT give you special privilege to just show up any time you want.  They will not be able to accommodate guests who show up earlier then their selected arrival window.

Carnival’s Priority Check-in is an exclusive service designed to afford our VIFP Diamond, Platinum and deluxe suite guests with special embarkation and debarkation privileges on cruises from the U.S. and Europe. Priority Check-in is not offered for Carnival Journeys cruises. Minors traveling with parents who have Priority Check-in in separate staterooms, may check in together using this exclusive service. 

• Priority guests will be given access to Online Check-in to select their terminal arrival appointments 48 hours ahead of all other guests.
  • When completing Online Check-in, guests must select a terminal arrival appointment that works best with their plans.  For a better embarkation experience, guests are asked to adhere to that arrival time. We will not be able to accommodate guests who show up earlier than their selected window. If Priority guests arrive later than their selected window, they will be accommodated in the Priority line.
  • Upon arrival to the terminal, guests must look for the Priority line to check-in. 
  • Terminals with dedicated Priority seating areas may have limited space. Depending on arrival patterns, seats will be available on a first come, first served basis. Regardless of seating location, Priority guests will still be able to take advantage of Priority boarding. 
  • Once on board, if staterooms are not ready, Priority guests will be permitted to drop off luggage in their stateroom. Guests will be asked to return to the public areas of the ship as our team completes its work.
Towards the end of the cruise, Priority guests will receive a letter, with special luggage tags, offering debarkation options.  

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Badfinger said:

Sounds like you go on a lot of cruises and always get on the ship early.  And no doubt you will likely do any more cruises.  Maybe just once try getting on the ship late...like 30 minutes before cutoff.  Who knows, you might like it.  And what is the worst thing that can happen...you miss one feeding?  Order an extra desert at dinner!

miss the cutoff.

Even without any internet package you can access the Carnival website and check in while on the ship. You can use either your own device or one of the computers in the internet hub.

• Like 1

So question on that. I missed checking in on time for the first ever since being platinum. I got 10:30 to 11:00 instead of the usual 9:30 time for Galveston. Can I still get in the priority line early if my boarding pass says priority. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, excitedcruiser said:

So question on that. I missed checking in on time for the first ever since being platinum. I got 10:30 to 11:00 instead of the usual 9:30 time for Galveston. Can I still get in the priority line early if my boarding pass says priority. 

NO.  We will not be able to accommodate guests who show up earlier than their selected window.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1380/~/priority-check-in

"I missed checking in on time for the first ever since being platinum"  LOL.  Carnival doesn't track how many times you missed checking in on time.  It doesn't matter if if was your first time ever, or if you do it it every time.  Carnival will not be able to accommodate guests who show up earlier than their selected window.

Would it really ruin your cruise if you cant show up an hour earlier?

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, excitedcruiser said:

got 10:30 to 11:00 instead of the usual 9:30 time for Galveston.

That's the port arrival time window, right?

What time will you actually board? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

It depends on the port, customs, what time the ship gets clearance to disembark, how long  disembarkation actually takes to zero out the count, Etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, excitedcruiser said:

In my experience, if you're platinum, you can show up and go through the priority line at anytime, regardless of what time you chose for an arrival time.

The exception might be if it's a Journey's cruise where there's so many Platinum and Diamonds that they don't do priority embarkation.

Edited by mikayla73
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It depends on the port, customs, what time the ship gets clearance to disembark, how long  disembarkation actually takes to zero out the count, Etc.

Does anyone ever board at any port before 11am?

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

My "home port" is Long Beach/Los Angeles.  The debarkation of the passengers getting off from the cruise before us seems to always be running late. 

I think the priority boarding normally begins around noon.  Wedding parties board first.  Then priority guests.

People who arrived at the 10:00 time slot have already been waiting in a crowded hall for hours, with no food, drinks.  I think Carnival needs to bring in some food/drink vendors; the vendors would make a fortune!

42 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

My "home port" is Long Beach/Los Angeles.  The debarkation of the passengers getting off from the cruise before us seems to always be running late. 

I think the priority boarding normally begins around noon.  Wedding parties board first.  Then priority guests.

People who arrived at the 10:00 time slot have already been waiting in a crowded hall for hours, with no food, drinks.  I think Carnival needs to bring in some food/drink vendors; the vendors would make a fortune!

Maybe they should start the arrival time at 11 or 1130??

10 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Maybe they should start the arrival time at 11 or 1130??

Absolutely not. They want passengers onboard ASAP so they can start spending money. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

Galveston's most common 1st arrival time slot that I've seen is 10:00 - 10:30. I don't recall seeing 9:30 - 10:00. They tend to clear the ship pretty late over here too. But I could be wrong

15 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Absolutely not. They want passengers onboard ASAP so they can start spending money. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

I understand that but you missed my point.  If they don't start boarding until 11-11:30 or later, and every guest with an arrival time has already checked in online, what's the point of arriving at 9:30am? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I understand that but you missed my point.  If they don't start boarding until 11-11:30 or later, and every guest with an arrival time has already checked in online, what's the point of arriving at 9:30am? 

There is no point in arriving that early, but for some reason, there are always people who enjoy sitting an a crowded terminal building waiting for boarding to start🤪.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

There is no point in arriving that early, but for some reason, there are always people who enjoy sitting an a crowded terminal building waiting for boarding to start🤪.

You will wait either way. 

I prefer getting on the ship earlier and eating lunch or getting a massage while others are still boarding.

16 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

You will wait either way. 

I prefer getting on the ship earlier and eating lunch or getting a massage while others are still boarding.

Arrival time is not your boarding time.  Even if you arrive early, you still have to wait until boarding starts.  Then they start boarding in order, Weddings, then Diamond,  then Platinum, then  FTTF.

• Like 2