Repeat passengers

crzr

I have heard for years that Holland America is among the leaders in percentage of repeat passengers. In fact, I just saw this statement twice in another thread.

Does anybody have, or know who might have, hard data on this subject? What percent of HAL passengers truly are Mariners, over the course of a year? And comparable percentages for other cruise lines?

I'd be interested to see if such data ever goes public.

Holland America Line has about 5 MILLION Mariners. All of these people have completed at least one cruise with HAL and a huge percentage have completed many cruises.

It has been our observation on most of our cruises, the average number of passengers on any given cruise that are Mariners easily and often runs into 70 - 80% of all guests aboard.

One way to get a rough idea would be to look at the capacity of a HAL ship and the seating capacity of the theater (where the Mariner party is held). In my experience it's usually standing room only, and it's safe to assume that some Mariners don't even attend, so you can crunch all those numbers to come up with a ballpark of the percentage of people on a given cruise who are repeat HAL customers.

That is how we sometimes have arrived at the 'estimate'. Many other times, we have asked either the Cruise Director, Hotel Manager etc and they are usually quite proud to share the information.

On my Veendam cruise last December, there were 900 Mariners, according to the Hotel Manager. There were 2 receptions to accomodate everyone.

Roz

borrowing from another thread, most of those repeat customers are probably folks who had the good sense not to put THEIR booze out in the hall w/ their luggage the last nite.. *laffin*

but on a more serious note, it's hard to imagine too many folks sailing on HAL not wanting to come back and experience that special treatment again and again..

and for those who do leave disatisfied.. well that's one less person in my way at the omelet station in the morning.

On my second cruise, I felt honored to be invited to a special invitation-only reception for what was then called the "Repeater's Party," an exclusive reception. When I got there, I found about 50% of the pax, with another 20% still on their way. The free orange juice and peanuts were nice and the band sounded good. Now that I'm onstage with my copper medallion, I smile and think, "Hi, peons; take a look at the most expensive piece of jewelry you will ever own." ;)

Archived