Please Provide Reasons Why a Norway Intensive Cruise is a Must-Do

Twiga

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

What did you do in Oban?  [planning for a cruise that starts there]

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

We simply took the tender to town and walked all around.  It is charming.  Next time, I think we might take a ferry to one of the isles close by.  I have seen a private tour of Lismore by Explore Lismore Tours which looks very interesting.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Twiga said:

@mare s.  Please let me know what we should see in Kirkwall and Oban.  We look forward to meeting you on the Quest!

We did a private walking tour of Kirkwall which was very good.  And then walked around on our own.   It is a lovely town.   We had hoped to go to Skara Brae but were too tired.   So that will be our destination next time.  Check out my answer to Jazzbeau about Oban.

1 hour ago, mare s. said:

Norway has been on our bucket list for a while.   And if your husband has said "yes" we will be seeing you on board!    We and our friends have already booked the cruise.   Crazy to think it's still almost two years away, but this cruise fills up quickly.   And re-visiting Kirkwall and Oban again (we just returned in July from Scotland Intensive) is a plus.   These were our favorite ports in Scotland.

mare

We booked the Oban distillery tour online. It was terrific!

3 hours ago, mare s. said:

Next time, I think we might take a ferry to one of the isles close by.  I have seen a private tour of Lismore by Explore Lismore Tours which looks very interesting.

Thanks for this tip.  I am planning to book them for my free day.  Debating between the Explore Lismore or the Shepherding tour.  Both sound interesting, but dogs may win out...

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We often go there for weekends- do you want an active or more relaxed day?

Do you want traditional things eg distilleries or more nature related? 
Who are you cruising with and are you looking to stay somewhere before/have a car

Hopefully I can narrow down suggestions 

Edited by uktog

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

We often go there for weekends- do you want an active or more relaxed day?

Do you want traditional things eg distilleries or more nature related? 
Who are you cruising with and are you looking to stay somewhere before/have a car

Hopefully I can narrow down suggestions 

Thanks for the offer!  

We are sailing with Noble Caledonia Island Hopping in the Hebrides.  We will fly in to Glasgow and take a car service to Oban on the Friday, spend the afternoon sightseeing in Oban (Distillery 2:30 pm tour; McCaig's tower).  On Saturday we are thinking of taking a tour of Lismore as suggested above.  Then on Sunday we board ship and visit Staff & Iona, St Kilda & Star Lee, Shiant Islands & Isle of Lewis, Canna & Isle of Sky, Loch Scavaig & Inverie, Lunga & Tobermory, then disembark in Oban with included transfer to Glasgow Central Station for two nights before flying on to Oslo for a cruise on Silver Ray in Svalbard.

I've been having trouble finding hotels in Oban and Glasgow.  Perle Oban Hotel hadn't released dates past 31 May 2025 until recently, and now say they are booked for the dates we need in June (6/7-7/8).  Grasshoppers Hotel in Glasgow is out of business.  So I'm back to square one on those!

Also any suggestions for the car service from Glasgow airport to Oban?  [MyDayTrip wants €427 for the 90 mile drive]  And for restaurants in Oban and Glasgow?

TIA

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the offer!  

We are sailing with Noble Caledonia Island Hopping in the Hebrides.  We will fly in to Glasgow and take a car service to Oban on the Friday, spend the afternoon sightseeing in Oban (Distillery 2:30 pm tour; McCaig's tower).  On Saturday we are thinking of taking a tour of Lismore as suggested above.  Then on Sunday we board ship and visit Staff & Iona, St Kilda & Star Lee, Shiant Islands & Isle of Lewis, Canna & Isle of Sky, Loch Scavaig & Inverie, Lunga & Tobermory, then disembark in Oban with included transfer to Glasgow Central Station for two nights before flying on to Oslo for a cruise on Silver Ray in Svalbard.

I've been having trouble finding hotels in Oban and Glasgow.  Perle Oban Hotel hadn't released dates past 31 May 2025 until recently, and now say they are booked for the dates we need in June (6/7-7/8).  Grasshoppers Hotel in Glasgow is out of business.  So I'm back to square one on those!

Also any suggestions for the car service from Glasgow airport to Oban?  [MyDayTrip wants €427 for the 90 mile drive]  And for restaurants in Oban and Glasgow?

TIA

We've visited Oban many times, passing through to catch a ferry and often staying overnight.  The hotels used to be poor, but since the Premier Inn opened a few years ago, that's probably the only place I'd stay.  It's by no means a luxury hotel, but has been spotless, convenient, and we always get a good night's sleep.

My general opinion of Oban is that it's a 'gateway' town for the ferries; charming on the surface but little to do.  As well as those places already mentioned, ff you're interested in engineering, you could visit Cruachan (https://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/visit-us/) which would also take you into the hills behind the town.

Have you considered the train to get there (after getting a taxi or bus into the train station in Glasgow)?  I've never taken it, but know that it's part of the famous West Highland Line, and the train station in Oban is literally next door to the Premier Inn. https://www.scotrail.co.uk/inspiration-hub/great-scenic-rail-journeys/west-highland-line-glasgow-oban-and-fort-williammallaig

Our go to is the Loch Melfort hotel however without a car it would not work. 
Have you contacted the Perle because it may be that their website isn’t fully loaded? That’s not unusual with them.

Oban is a funny place for Hotels because of it being a set off place to so many islands people are necessarily looking for hotels offering much. They are more Premier Inn type somewhere to leave their heads, the Premier Inn in Oban is very good by the way

Two boutique hotels are very good No 17 The Promenade and No 26 by the Sea. 

As regards car service, it will be an expensive drive. The reason is although it looks like it’s only 100 miles that trip takes nearly 3 hours because of the types of road that the driver will be on and depending where your driver comes from that’s about a six hour round-trip for them.  Alternative that many people do is they take the taxi from Glasgow Airport to Glasgow Queen Street station and then the train to Oban which is one of the most beautiful train rides often featured on television programs.  It’s a direct train.

Glasgow hotels very much depends on your budget. You could enjoy the Kimpton in Blythswood Square or the old charm of the Central nod refurbished and managed via IHG. The Indigo is also good. A good Scottish chain to consider is the Apex in Bath Street. Glasgow hotels have got quite expensive particularly with more and more pop concerts and sports events happening in the city. As we are usually out and about and only looking for a bed we head to the Premier Inn or the Indigo but you might want more from a hotel 

haha @fruitmachine and I have posted very similar things simultaneously 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

Re Oban another vote for the train and Premier Inn. We always find time to walk up to McCaig's Tower, and the Sea food hut on the Quay side is a must. It really is a hut (you eat on shared benches under an awning) but it serves the best shell fish we have ever had  beautifully cooked, huge portions, and straight out of the ocean.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for this tip.  I am planning to book them for my free day.  Debating between the Explore Lismore or the Shepherding tour.  Both sound interesting, but dogs may win out...

Let me know how they are....both look really good.