mobility scooters

Knickearth

57 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I don't know why you'd think I don't feel strong about this issue. I am still sort of able bodied, but my DW uses a scooter. I make sure we have an accessible cabin so we can park it in the cabin. If I can't get us an accessible cabin, I her scooter does come apart into 4 parts, I would take them apart everytime we go into the cabin and put it in there. It would not be easy for me but I feel that is what would need to be done. I had to retire because my job was too hard on this old body, 13 years in the army did wear and tear on this old body and 38 years at my last job was very physical. Not saying I want sympathy or anything, just saying one should not assume that not everyone takes this kind of behavior is acceptable. 

That's what I do too, mine folds easier but the principle is the same. My point was that although scooters in the hallway are an annoyance to most, to those in wheelchairs or scooters they are more than an annoyance. You've had a corridor blocked off by one and had to take a detour as I have.

I get angry at sanctimonious people bleating about the danger in a smoke filled corridor but they do nothing to get it fixed , and I know that all users are tarred with the same brush. The cruise lines make their rules and then ignore them, almost all the time the offending machines are rental ones and the cruise lines accept delivery to cabins that have no room but make no alternative to store. I don't know about every line, but MSC are pretty bad at it and have never taken any notice when I've moaned about my access being blocked. 

On 9/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, Kay S said:

We really aren't on the cruise just to annoy you.  Maybe we should just stay home?

Don't you dare stay home! My mother struggles with mobility issues and cruising and its somewhat easier logistics has allowed her to keep seeing the world, meet new people and have meaningful experiences. I know of a man who lost a leg and 8 weeks after was onboard to Europe with his walker and a scooter. He needed to prove to himself he could do it and to prove to those around him that he had a new normal but could still be his same dynamic self. You can do the same thing!

11 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

This thread is depressing.  Makes me not want to live a long life.  

Needing a scooter or wheelchair does not always equate to being older. I need to use a portable scooter since I shattered my leg in an accident.  The scooter makes it possible for me to travel nearly as much as I did before, so I don’t see anything depressing about that.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Using mobility equipment is not strictly a feature of old age.  Did you make it through childhood without contracting polio?  You'll probably be okay.

1 hour ago, katmu said:

Needing a scooter or wheelchair does not always equate to being older. I need to use a portable scooter since I shattered my leg in an accident.  The scooter makes it possible for me to travel nearly as much as I did before, so I don’t see anything depressing about that.

34 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Using mobility equipment is not strictly a feature of old age.  Did you make it through childhood without contracting polio?  You'll probably be okay.

I'd be super depressed if I had to use a mobility device at any age.  Makes me sad just thinking about it.  I've seen some kids on RC who have severe mental impairment (from a strictly ocular inspection it looked like the kids had severe cerebral palsy) being dragged on to cruises; they didn't even have the mental capacity decline coming, so the parents decided for them.

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I'd be super depressed if I had to use a mobility device at any age.  Makes me sad just thinking about it.  I've seen some kids on RC who have severe mental impairment (from a strictly ocular inspection it looked like the kids had severe cerebral palsy) being dragged on to cruises; they didn't even have the mental capacity decline coming, so the parents decided for them.

But at least with a mobility device you can still enjoy some of your life still. I'd rather see my DW use her scooter so she can get around and still do things than to give up on life because her knees won't let her walk as well as she used to.

Presumably mobility scooters are battery powered and need to be recharged over night. In the UK there have been so many reports of battery powered bicycles and scooters bursting into flames when on charge, could this be an issue with mobility scooters too, what safety features are there to prevent a fire?

21 hours ago, SCX22 said:

It's not depressing at all. These are stories of success, triumph and happiness. So are the stories of children who are living with CP or are cognitively different being able to vacation with their families. There was a time when people who were mobility impaired could not imagine leaving their homes or families with children having special needs having to place their loved ones in institutions or facilities. Now, we are better informed. We are collectively stronger. So strong in fact we can support one another. Your consideration to not want a long life is unfortunate. But, it has to do with your uncertainties not any of the successes shared here. I hope you find the strength to see all the possibilities life has to offer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:55 PM, SCX22 said:

WOW! What a negative view of something you have NO personal knowledge of!  Just because you didn't see the child with "severe mental impairment" communicating with the family doesn't mean they can't, they may have discussed the trip as a family.  Also, I hope you or someone you love never becomes disabled because you will only focus on what you can't do instead of what you can do.  Mobility aides make life so much better when you need them & getting depressed is a really defeatist attitude when there is so much life to be lived using assistive devices.  I applaud everyone who says they are going to use whatever they need to use to be able to live their life as fully as possible for as long as possible!  I suggest next time you see someone using a mobility device talk to them & let them tell you how much better their life is because they have one to use.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 2:55 AM, SCX22 said:

Sometimes I read a post and realise how fortunate I am to have a different mindset to the poster. This is one of those. I am not yet at retirement age but use a scooter, and I still think I'm better off than I would be if I enjoyed your , in my opinion vacuous, outlook.

4 minutes ago, Dunchues said:

Sometimes I read a post and realise how fortunate I am to have a different mindset to the poster. This is one of those. I am not yet at retirement age but use a scooter, and I still think I'm better off than I would be if I enjoyed your , in my opinion vacuous, outlook.

Used to cruise with my grandparents when they were abled bodied and less able bodied.  Towards the end of their cruising, I came not to keep them company and spend time with them but as their aid.  Life with mobility aids is not the same.  Everyone on the ship has to make concessions.  I'm happy give way, but it's just not the same for the person using mobility aids.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 6:39 PM, arizonaperson said:

Here is a bunch of information.

Mobility Equipment Guidance

Here are some important things to know about bringing a mobility device onboard.

If you will be using a mobility device or have special needs, we strongly recommend you travel with a person physically fit to assist with your needs both onboard and ashore.

Although we do not offer mobility devices onboard for personal use, you are welcome to bring your own device. Alternatively, we do partner with the following companies who provide wheelchairs and other medical equipment for rent, and they can deliver directly to the ship. If a rental is a better solution for you, please do contact them directly.

Please ensure that your mobility device meets the following specifications:

• Maximum device width: 22” for standard staterooms, 31” for wheelchair-accessible staterooms
  • Maximum combined weight of the wheelchair, including guest: 600 pounds (weight may vary outside the United States)

Your mobility device must be securely stored in your stateroom when not in use. This will ensure that hallways and other public areas are clear for other guests and crew to safely move throughout the ship. We do not offer alternate locations for mobility device storage onboard. For assistance onboard with charging your equipment in your stateroom, please contact your stateroom attendant.

If you are bringing other mobility equipment onboard or if you have booked Princess transfers, pre or post hotel stays, Cruisetours or shore excursions you must complete our Mobility Questionnaire (PDF) and return it to us at least 60 days prior to sailing.

Please be advised that filing out the Mobility Questionnaire is to ensure that our Access team can properly assist you with your accessibility and mobility needs. It is not an approval or confirmation of any request, nor does it guarantee being booked into or moved to an accessible cabin. Please ensure that you discuss your cabin needs with your Travel Advisor or our Reservations department.

Also in cruise critic is a title:

Special interest cruising

Disabled Cruise Travel

Check out the information there.

Good info - thanks for sharing.  The maximum weight (scooter + guest) seems like a strange requirement.  Seems the scooter weight would be a potential issue more so than combined weight.