No restaurant times available the second bookings were revealed?

ClemMovieRunner

Here in the UK, restaurant bookings became available at 5am. A couple of years ago we went on a cruise (P&O) where ALL speciality dining was fully booked by the time we went to make reservations so I was keen to make some bookings this time around. 

So, a few minutes before 5am, I logged into the app, and refreshed it until the restaurant details appeared. 

No times have been available for any day at any time at all. 

Is it worth me continuing to check?

Same here! I'm new to Virgin, so having had the 'heads up' on this board (thank you) also had my alarm set this morning. No restaurant at any time. I have a 4.15 check in so not very hopeful of being early enough to book onboard either. 

Came on here to check I was using the app correctly. Greyed out means unavailable? 

Edited by 721226

1 hour ago, ClemMovieRunner said:

Here in the UK, restaurant bookings became available at 5am. A couple of years ago we went on a cruise (P&O) where ALL speciality dining was fully booked by the time we went to make reservations so I was keen to make some bookings this time around. 

So, a few minutes before 5am, I logged into the app, and refreshed it until the restaurant details appeared. 

No times have been available for any day at any time at all. 

Is it worth me continuing to check?

Are you rockstar at the 60 days?

last two cruises as rockstar the times only appeared and were bootable about 58-58 days befor, it’s almost like someone forgot to turn it on.  Contact Red Glove services and they can book for you. Or wait 2-3 days.

If not rockstar then no idea what’s wrong but you could give them a call. If the times are greyed out then they are booked. If they don’t show at all then it’s a bug like above. 

Edited by jon81uk

10 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

Are you rockstar at the 60 days?

last two cruises as rockstar the times only appeared and were bootable about 58-58 days befor, it’s almost like someone forgot to turn it on.  Contact Red Glove services and they can book for you. Or wait 2-3 days.

If not rockstar then no idea what’s wrong but you could give them a call. If the times are greyed out then they are booked. If they don’t show at all then it’s a bug like above. 

No, not a rockstar but it's 45 days out so open to all. 

I can't stress enough that I was there the moment the bookings opened. 

There can't be enough suite passengers to book the entirety of the available times before anyone else sees them, surely?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClemMovieRunner said:

There can't be enough suite passengers to book the entirety of the available times before anyone else sees them, surely?

Between suites and others getting in quick it does seem that the advanced bookings go quick now. 

2 hours ago, Bluebury said:

We found the same, no availability at all, so frustrating. Hoping that I do not need to eat on the Buffet/Galley every day 😌

they only release 30-50% of reservations in advance, the rest are bookable onboard. So just make bookings once on the ship. Can also walk up and join waitlist. 

I am having the same issue. Stayed up until late to make the bookings as soon as allowed and everything is greyed out. Has to be a computer issue. I am hoping so as this is unacceptable and not a great way to start my relationship with Virgin. I guess I will try to contact them and see what they can do for me. 

17 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

Between suites and others getting in quick it does seem that the advanced bookings go quick now. 

I can't believe they have so few bookings available that the suites had booked every available slot - I again cannot stress that I was logged in and ready as the app updated to show entertainment and restaurant times.  If there was a single slot, a last booking for dinner or brunch on one of the days, it would make sense. 

But I think @islandchick has it right:

9 minutes ago, islandchick said:

Has to be a computer issue

9 minutes ago, islandchick said:

I guess I will try to contact them and see what they can do for me. 

Do let us know if they're helpful. 

15 minutes ago, ClemMovieRunner said:

Thanks for the updates, @islandchick, @kruzgal

Can't believe I set my alarm for 4.50 for this now. 

They ought to just let everyone request one booking and make the rest walk ups! 

I wish they would just make everything walk up. I hate having to make reservations prior to my vacation. I would like to go when I want to go not have to be on a timeline. They could allow reservations while on the ship 1 hr prior to dining time requested. Would be so nice, but probably just a pipe dream. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, islandchick said:

I wish they would just make everything walk up. I hate having to make reservations prior to my vacation. I would like to go when I want to go not have to be on a timeline. They could allow reservations while on the ship 1 hr prior to dining time requested. Would be so nice, but probably just a pipe dream. 

I agree, my experience of getting no reservations on a cruise (as mentioned earlier) really exposes that there aren't enough bookings to go around. 

We've never had a "no bookings" problem, but I've always (after the first cruise) had my TA available as back up for when (not if) the app crashes.  Looks like the slots have not been loaded for you guys and it will happen sometime soon.  We've usually been able to change our plans with no difficulty, even at the last minute by using the walk up system.  The more flexible you  are, the easier to get what you want.

I much prefer this system to standing in long lines!

• Like 2

There is a bug in their system that started a couple weeks ago, which is allowing non-rock stars to book their reservations in advance of the 45 day window. It appears to be random as to who gets this. That's why all of the reservations are filled up already.

27 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

There is a bug in their system that started a couple weeks ago, which is allowing non-rock stars to book their reservations in advance of the 45 day window. It appears to be random as to who gets this. That's why all of the reservations are filled up already.

Nope, they just opened! 

• Like 1

As a recent first time cruisers with VV the stress of a 5am alarm to ensure we got dinner reservations is a bit of a joke. After so much hype the cruise also didn't live upto expectations. I am bewildered at how many people worship VV and yet ignore so many glaringly obvious issues such as the awful app, inability to book restaurants, no luggage tags at the port....sadly our first time wasn't a success and we won't be returning to VV in a hurry. With a 330pm boarding time, by the time we boarded there was nothing they could do to accommodate us and said try walk ins. This didn't work as it was a full sailing and galley it was. So disappointing from virgin and I won't even mention the shambles of disembarkation. 

• Like 1

We've never found the luggage tags at the port issue to be a problem, so not sure what you are referring to there.  I agree that the issues with the app are ridiculous; fortunately I found a great TA who can overcome most of the app issues by doing the work herself.  We have typically found embarkation and disembarkation at Miami to be a mess.  Interestingly, Barcelona has been far better.  I understand that it is totally frustrating to do everything you've been told to do, both by VV and thru the various boards, and still have things not work.  Our first VV cruise had 1300 on board; our most recent 2150 with several in between.  I wouldn't want to see a "full" ship.  

Sorry your experience was so bad.  Yes, I would have been really upset if I had only The Galley as food option!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sweep2907 said:

As a recent first time cruisers with VV the stress of a 5am alarm to ensure we got dinner reservations is a bit of a joke. After so much hype the cruise also didn't live upto expectations. I am bewildered at how many people worship VV and yet ignore so many glaringly obvious issues such as the awful app, inability to book restaurants, no luggage tags at the port....sadly our first time wasn't a success and we won't be returning to VV in a hurry. With a 330pm boarding time, by the time we boarded there was nothing they could do to accommodate us and said try walk ins. This didn't work as it was a full sailing and galley it was. So disappointing from virgin and I won't even mention the shambles of disembarkation. 

Sorry to hear you had such a rotten time. It's pretty terrible that cruise lines make this such a scramble to actually be able to enjoy your holiday. On the cruise I mentioned earlier (P&O, not VV) we couldn't get any restaurant bookings either, which I think effectively means the holiday we were sold didn't match the experience "20 restaurants! ...But it'll be the buffet for you." Etc. 

I hope you don't mind me asking but what do VV do in lieu of luggage tags? What's their disembarkation system (sounds like they don't really have one...)?

Edited by ClemMovieRunner

Sorry to hear you had such a rotten time. It's pretty terrible that cruise lines make this such a scramble to actually be able to enjoy your holiday. On the cruise I mentioned earlier (P&O, not VV) we couldn't get any restaurant bookings either, which I think effectively means the holiday we were sold didn't match the experience "20 restaurants! ...But it'll be the buffet for you." Etc. 

I hope you don't mind me asking but what do VV do in lieu of luggage tags? What's their disembarkation system (sounds like they don't really have one...)?

Luggage tags isn't a major thing but why don't VV allow you to attach to bags before arriving? We waited in line for 10 minutes so staff could write out tags for each bag. Every other cruise line you can show up in taxi and dump bags and head into terminal.

Disembarkation was a total shambles and staff present on deck 6 weren't organising the mayhem. It snaked around and around the deck and people were jumping the queue and got so manic they stopped lifts opening on deck 6. Apparently everyone decided to leave it until around 10am to disembark and many didn't know you had to book a slot on app as there were zero comms about it. It is a shame as heard so much about VV beforehand and put off using again.

• Like 1

Luggage tags are applied when dropping off your luggage, the port staff write your cabin number on then apply the tag. I’ve never had any issues with this.

For disembarkation you should select a time in the app but there is nothing to enforce this and it’s not notified very early on. So many people just try to disembark at 10.00-10.30 leading to queues. Whereas if people selected the time and stuck to it so it’s more spread out there wouldn’t be issues. 

• Like 4