Expiring future cruise deposit?

juldum

Hi all,

So in 2022 I purchased 4 x 300$ future cruise deposits (FCD) while I was sailing with Virgin. The plan was to get one for myself, and another three for members of my family who sail separately. For those unfamiliar with FCD's, they expire if unused within 2 years. That expiration date is November 2, 2024.

Unfortunately, I'm likely to lose my deposits because we won't be sailing by Nov 2.

I know they're transferable, but I haven't been able to find cruisers who would be interested in them, and I don't know where to look to find any. I don't think putting a Craigslist ad will work, given the very specific nature of FCD's.

Any tips for me?

There are Facebook and Reddit groups where people do that.  If they are the kind with $600 obc you should have no trouble getting  your money back. Not sure how specific I can be here. TAs will often buy them to use with clients.

Good luck!

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 2

If you used a travel agent, he or she can often transfer the MNVV to one of their other clients, keeping everyone happy and having the reassurance that you aren't getting scammed.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 3

What types of prices are people getting on the $300 MNVV deposits when they sell them? Are you getting just the initial $300 back, or some sort of value for the $600 OBC and $300 discount that the deposits provide? 

I have a credit that expires in Jan 2025. I am taking a VV cruise before then but was unable to use it because the credit cannot be applied to a First Mate private rate (which was hundreds of dollars lower than what I could get with MNVV). 

The Gold Tier TAs  that I am aware of are paying the $300 that you paid when purchased.  I'm not seeing any additional for the other goodies.  Your alternative, of course, is to let it expire unused, in which case you los3 $300.  There may be others out there giving credit for the OBC and discount, but that's not how I've seen it work.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 1:35 PM, jag82177 said:

What types of prices are people getting on the $300 MNVV deposits when they sell them? Are you getting just the initial $300 back, or some sort of value for the $600 OBC and $300 discount that the deposits provide? 

People are selling for the $300 that they paid.  You can ask for more but it’s typically not very successful.  One potential issue with yours is that it expires in Jan 2025.  Final payment date for Jan 2025 cruises has either passed or approaching.  This means you have to pay for a cruise in full when purchasing.  Some people may want a cruise further out.  

• Like 1

It is rare for someone to pay more than the $300 you paid for it.

As to any additional value, not much. I don't know if you consider it additional value but I have sometimes swapped some for clients. Meaning that theirs is expiring so I use it for another client sailing sooner and then let the person with the orignal certificate use one of mine with a later expiration date.

• Like 1