What tips for things to take to make a smooth cruise we may not think of!

postmanrings

On 9/18/2024 at 9:17 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Last thought:  I wouldn't trust anyone to handle my camera equipment.  I have some nice camera equipment, and I like it to be treated gently.  Shoes, pajamas -- yeah, toss it around, kick it.  I don't care about that. 

Think tripod, monopod, battery chargers, batteries, what I wear to carry my cameras when out on excursions, and maybe a large lens that's made to be handled. The smaller stuff is on my back.

There comes a point where you accept that you pay for insurance so that any issues are handled. When you get to that point, you accept that you can't and won't carry it all on you.

Plenty of good detailed info in previous posts. 

Let me pose some questions, then I’ll suggest one way to set up a safety net. 
Do you know key family or work phone numbers if you lose your phone?

Do you know your passport number?

Do you know your credit card number and the number on the back to call if you lose it or think it has been compromised? 
Do you know the phone number for your travel insurance company? Travel agent?

Think about what would severely hamper you if you lost it during the trip, and what info it would be handy to have if you had to deal with something unexpected.  

I take photos or use a scanner app pin my phone to capture images, then attach them to an email to myself, using my Gmail app on my phone. I leave it in the Drafts box. As long as you can access your email, you can get to critical information. Credit cards, back and front, so you can see the contact info on the back in case of loss or identity theft. 

Your passport is usually held by the ship, but if you become a failed Pier Runner during a port call or have to leave the ship due to illness or injury, it’s a lot easier to work with the embassy or Consulate, and the ship’s agent, if you can have an image of your passport. 

I used to make paper copies and keep them separate from my day bag, but the email to self stashed in your Drafts works fine. 

On 10/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, jlawrence01 said:

but it just does NOT work in the humid environment in the Caribbean where you clothing comes back drenched at the end of the port day.

Sure it does -- because not all your clothes are worn in sweaty situations: 

- You wear an outfit for breakfast, then change into a swimsuit -- you can totally wear that outfit again to the afternoon movie or trivia.  

- You wear pants and a top to dinner -- you can absolutely wear that same dinner outfit to dinner again later in the week. 

- But when it's time for a port day, you wear the outfit that's on its "last wear".  

On 10/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, jlawrence01 said:

The solution is to pack very light clothing tightly so it does not take up space. 

Yes, I've always been really good at packing things tightly.  

17 hours ago, TwoNavySalts said:

I take photos or use a scanner app pin my phone to capture images, then attach them to an email to myself, using my Gmail app on my phone.

Yes, maybe it's overkill, but I have that information in three places -- it just takes minutes per trip to change the confirmation numbers, etc.: 

- On my phone 

- In an email sent to myself 

- Printed /stored behind the zippered liner in my suitcase 

17 hours ago, TwoNavySalts said:

but if you become a failed Pier Runner

I'm not overly worried about that.  It's quite rare for anyone to be left behind, and it's something over which you have a great deal of control.  I say that not because I don't think you know -- but because this thread is aimed at newbies. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

A lot of this is kinda specific (and kind of rambly), but it's definitely things I would need to know if I were a first timer, so as with all advice, use what's useful for you.

1: Sunscreen

If you're not used to the sun in the areas you're going to be traveling to, put your sunscreen on before you leave your room in the morning.

If you're like me, you'll randomly decide to go for a walk on the deck because it's pretty out, then start talking to people, then sit down with a cup of coffee, and then...

As somebody with a fairer complexion who has managed to absolutely fry in 30 minutes on a cloudy beach on the first day of a week-long vacation because "we're not going to be out there long enough to need sunscreen," yeah, sunscreen is not optional.

Note that some locations may require "reef safe" sunscreen or rash guards.

2: Schedules in a shared space

If you're sharing your room with multiple people, roughly plan out your schedules. Figure out who will probably be up early, who can take 5 minutes in the bathroom and be ready for the evening, who will take an hour to do their hair, and who is going to crash at 9pm vs 3am.

When I was 20-something, I went on a cruise with 3 other ladies, only one of whom I'd met before. 2 of us were early risers - I laid out my clothes and bag for the morning and was gone before the other 2 were even stirring. I only needed a quick shower to get ready for dinner most nights, so I'd be the first one in, then go hang out at the piano bar until the others were ready. I was also the first one to crash every night, but I was a heavy sleeper so barely knew the others had come back, especially since they made sure their pajamas and chargers were laid out and ready. It didn't always work out perfectly, but it was a lot better than everybody chaotically trying to get into the bathroom an hour before dinner.

3: Special Needs

If you need something special, plan ahead, do your research and talk to the cruise line/people on the ship. They can accommodate a LOT of things, but only if you talk to them!

I have to be gluten-free (no longer seems to require advance warning most cruises!), and we always do assigned dining times where we have the same waiter every night. The last cruise we went on, there would already be GF bread and a separate butter at my spot, the hostess would come get my order for the next night so they had plenty of time to figure it out (if I was asking for something they weren't sure if the chef could do, they'd have me pick an alternate they knew was GF), and at least once the waiter was handing out meals, caught that mine was wrong, and went to get the right one.

I tend to bring at least some snacks with me - I can generally find something on the ship, but if I have a protein bar and a pack of gluten-free cheese crackers in my bag, I'm much more relaxed just because I know for certain there is something I can eat. I've already got a flat of water scheduled to be delivered to my room on the next trip because I know I need to have it for my electrolyte powder and I don't want to haul one.

I'll be traveling with a knee sleeve, ankle brace, both wrist braces, hiking sticks, first aid kit, and a decent selection of meds. Will I need them? No idea, hopefully not. Will it make things much simpler if I do? Absolutely!

4: Boarding

If you plan to cruise off into the sunset in the hot tub or pool, bring your swimsuit (and sunscreen!) with you onto the ship. I wear mine under my clothes. My rolling backpack with dry clothes, meds, toiletries, and my electronics will go on the ship with me. Most of my clothes I can replace or wash in the shower and re-wear repeatedly (I love my lightweight woolen sundresses!). My toiletries? Nope, I have sensitive skin and react to 90% of the products out there. They're coming with me.

5: Comfort

You're going to be in a place that's different from your usual. Plan to spend at least some time in your cabin or in quiet corners, especially if you're an introvert. There may be a time you don't feel well or don't want to deal with people, and feeling like there's nothing to do can make it worse. Bring a book, iPad, sudoku, Switch, crochet, coloring book--whatever you do to relax. Bring your favorite tea bags and order hot water from room service.

• Like 3

Don't forget earplugs.  I have been in the lounge when the band had the amps cranked up to max.  It was so loud that it would give you a headache.  Then there was the dufus in the cabin next door who insisted on playing loud music.  I would have gotten kicked off the ship if it hadn't been for my earplugs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clackey said:

Don't forget earplugs.  I have been in the lounge when the band had the amps cranked up to max.  It was so loud that it would give you a headache.  Then there was the dufus in the cabin next door who insisted on playing loud music.  I would have gotten kicked off the ship if it hadn't been for my earplugs.

Great tip! I always need them for fireworks, but recently I've used them at live concerts and even the cinema - as I get older loud noise is just painful.

On 10/18/2024 at 10:05 AM, Twibbs said:

2: Schedules in a shared space

If you're sharing your room with multiple people, roughly plan out your schedules. Figure out who will probably be up early, who can take 5 minutes in the bathroom and be ready for the evening, who will take an hour to do their hair, and who is going to crash at 9pm vs 3am.

About the bathroom:  If you'll have more than two people in a room, consider choosing a room close to a public bathroom or next to the gym.  One of you can shower in the gym -- the showers are larger.  

You're going to be in a place that's different from your usual. Plan to spend at least some time in your cabin or in quiet corners

You can often find "quiet corners" towards the front of the ship.  

On 10/20/2024 at 3:38 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

Pack a change of clothes and swimsuit in your carry-on during Embarkation Day. Many times, the pools will be open.

Better still, instead of changing in a small public restroom stall, wear your swimsuit + a cover-up as you board.  Most of my cover-ups look like tee-dresses, so they're perfectly acceptable for Embarkation.  My husband wears a swimsuit + tee.

A lot of this is kinda specific (and kind of rambly), but it's definitely things I would need to know if I were a first timer, so as with all advice, use what's useful for you.

1: Sunscreen

If you're not used to the sun in the areas you're going to be traveling to, put your sunscreen on before you leave your room in the morning.

If you're like me, you'll randomly decide to go for a walk on the deck because it's pretty out, then start talking to people, then sit down with a cup of coffee, and then...

As somebody with a fairer complexion who has managed to absolutely fry in 30 minutes on a cloudy beach on the first day of a week-long vacation because "we're not going to be out there long enough to need sunscreen," yeah, sunscreen is not optional.

Note that some locations may require "reef safe" sunscreen or rash guards.

4: Boarding

My toiletries? Nope, I have sensitive skin and react to 90% of the products out there. They're coming with me.

You're going to be in a place that's different from your usual. Plan to spend at least some time in your cabin or in quiet corners, especially if you're an introvert. There may be a time you don't feel well or don't want to deal with people, and feeling like there's nothing to do can make it worse. Bring a book, iPad, sudoku, Switch, crochet, coloring book--whatever you do to relax. Bring your favorite tea bags and order hot water from room service.

Yes to all of these! 

A few notes: 

- seconding the 'wear sunscreen', especially if you're heading south from northern hemisphere winter, or are otherwise not used to the sun. Carry it with you if you're going to be out and about, and reapply regularly.

- If you're a solo traveller, ask someone nearby to get the spots on your back that you can't reach yourself (ask me how I know this one...)  

- Bring some after-sun of your preferred variant, because even if you don't get burned, your skin will likely get tight from sun exposure, and if you do get burned, trying to buy something from the on board shop will be expensive

- I've started bringing unscented hand soap for my cabin bathroom - as someone who is very sensitive to scent, the overpoweringly scented hand soaps on board are incredibly frustrating, and have led to some mighty headaches. (I already bring unscented body wash/soap and shampoo, but the hand soap is a new addition.) 

- I'm a huge fan of my e-reader, because I can bring multiple books without having to carry multiple physical books. 

- As a knitter, not only do I bring my knitting, I load a bunch of podcasts and audiobooks onto my phone and will sit and knit and listen to something. I've got a pair of Aftershockz bone conduction headphones that I wear - they leave my ears fully uncovered, so I can hear what's going on around me (which is necessary for my hyper-vigilant self), but I can still enjoy my podcast/audio book.  

• Like 1