Are we crazy??

bresdogsr

The group we are travelling with will be disembarking the Coral Princess in Whittier on July 24. They want to get transportation to Anchorage airport and pick up rental cars and drive to Princesses Denali lodge the same day. Several questions:

1. Can this be done in one day?

2. Suggestions for transportation to the airport from Whittier?

3. Would driving to Princesses McKinley lodge be a better option?

My travelling party will not be leaving until late Wednesday, but we leave Tuesday at 3PM from Anchorage. Do we have enough time to get to Denali Monday, sleep and leave Tuesday to catch out fight without a mental breakdown?

Thanks in advance,

John

Why do you want to go to Denali when all you have time to do is sleep? You have little chance of seeing The Mountain - 10-20% depending on who you ask. You will arrive late Monday and have to leave early Tuesday to catch your flight - stay in Anchorage and see the local sites.

Murray

I agree, this is a poor plan with not enough time. For Denali Park you need at least 3 nights which you don't have. There is no point going to the McKinley Princess either, nothing there, 50 miles from the nearest town, and very slim chance of a McKinley view. As an example, I had 6 days between views on my last trip 8-05.

There is no reason to go to "Denali Park", unless you are planning to get into it, meaning another full day needed, so to get at least to Fish Creek via shuttle. And top it off with needing 6 hours Anchorage/Denali Park with stops, and at least another 1 15 min. + tunnel waits from Whittier.

So as an alternative- I suggest, with an early start, head to Seward, 2 hours from Whittier- plus tunnel waits. You can be off your ship very early, and at Avis or Harley's for a one way car pick up. Costly?? you bet, but makes the best use of your too short time. You can be in Seward in time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour, if of interest- my top recommendation. :) Overnight, then leave the next am. Rest of party can enjoy another day there. Allow three hours for the drive and have a 2 hour window at the Anchorage airport.

Archived