How do you join a trivia team?

lisa6191

I’ve seen lots of discussion about team trivia. This is probably a stupid question, but how do you join a team? We won’t know anyone else on our ship so I don’t understand how that works. Are you assigned? Just pick randomly? I think we would enjoy team trivia but I am curious how it all works.

Thanks!

You ask anyone who’s already there if you can join.  Most everyone who participates is open to meeting new people.  Even groups who travel together (friends, family) are welcoming to have others join. And if go in and sit down alone, people will inevitably ask to join you.  

• Like 3

Just turn up a while before the start, preferably on the first day, and talk to the CD or whoever is running the event - tell them what country you are from, as teams like to have members from various countries (different useful bits of knowledge), and someone still needing more members will be happy to have you join them.

Or follow Hobar's comment -I have just read it.

• Like 3

On our last cruise, the Cruise Critic "roll call" for our cruise had a number of people on it, and we created 2 (or maybe 3?) trivia teams ahead of time from the roll call folks who were interested.  It's a great way to get to meet your fellow passengers.  Highly recommend trying to get a team with Brits, Aussies, and other countries and not just US folks.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, SDuckers said:

On our last cruise, the Cruise Critic "roll call" for our cruise had a number of people on it, and we created 2 (or maybe 3?) trivia teams ahead of time from the roll call folks who were interested.  It's a great way to get to meet your fellow passengers.  Highly recommend trying to get a team with Brits, Aussies, and other countries and not just US folks.

I need to check again, the last time I looked our roll call was pretty dead. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Like 1

I think the max people you can have in a group is 8 people. We were randomly in the lounge area when people were coming in and we didn't know they were starting a trivia game. So we joined some people we met on the ship and joined forces. Our Brit friends  know a lot of history and we knew pop culture. We ended up going on the rest of the sea days and it was actually really fun. We didn't win until the last day. Our team wom Seabourne backpacks and the last day everyone got a baseball cap. Fun times and good swag!

I am on the Quest now. They allow teams up to 10 people.  We had a few new friends who made up part of the team. Some teams were small. The cruise director helped folks fill up teams as as people walked in.  There is a place for everyone. Few teams knew each other prior. Actually the best teams are often people from different parts of the world with different interests.

• Like 3

Thank you. I’m glad to hear the cruise director helps because my husband and I are both introverts and not always great at meeting people on cruises, so I figured it was unlikely we would have anyone to join up with. We are on a TA so lots of sea days to have trivia!

• Like 2

Trivia teammates? Put an ad in the daily planner: "US boomer couple with expertise in oldies, classic rock and Broadway seek a Brit, Aussie and Canadian for team trivia. Interviews suite 543."

Edited by whogo
  • Haha 5

@whogo, thanks for sharing your secret method; we’ll try to book suite 543 going forward.  It’s better than my current approach, which is to use the chat function in the Source app to randomly reach out to people asking if they are really smart and need a trivia teammate.  Has not worked too well 🤔

Edited by johng75370
  • Haha 2