Returning to Explora 1 after almost a year

uktog

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Another excursion cancelled- they really haven’t got on top of this issue which was a huge turn off on our first cruise. 

wouldn’t be easier to book your own independent excursion at 1/3 of the price…all they do is rely on third parties and then charge a huge premium…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khareef said:

wouldn’t be easier to book your own independent excursion at 1/3 of the price…all they do is rely on third parties and then charge a huge premium…

True except for one big thing which is a port cancellation and the need to cancel an excursion and how the terms of cancelation are handled by the vendor 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Oh no - you really aren’t having much luck . Which one was cancelled ?

We wanted to do pottery class in Rhodes. It seems only the basic sightseeing is running in each port. As we’ve been to most ports before we were looking for something more and like hands on things like cooking, craft etc. 

Looks like this cruise may have a large travel agent group onboard- first time I’ve ever seen people reserving groups of seats in the show lounge 🥲

Such a shame the 125 travel agents get tours arranged for them whilst the paying guests get their trips cancelled and left to fend for themselves.

Our cruise experience certainly isn’t being helped by the cancellation of pre purchased excursions (not to mention losing out on the exchange rate calculation applied to the refunds). 
And I hope these agents behave better in the show and restaurants going forward than they did last night - many are British and certainly had the “it’s our party, it’s our freebie” mentality some of our fellow country folks can adopt. 

I do not know the definition of “large” but the Asian contingent must have been well hidden during the at sea day yesterday as there are only a handful of Asian guests - there were more the previous seven days including at least one group of 8 so perhaps the wires are crossed with the information 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

True except for one big thing which is a port cancellation and the need to cancel an excursion and how the terms of cancelation are handled by the vendor 

I booked several tours the night before on viator, bike rides, food tasting, boat rides etc. These days is really easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khareef said:

I booked several tours the night before on viator, bike rides, food tasting, boat rides etc. These days is really easy.

Trouble is if you have obc or in our case it’s possibly a walk to connect to the viator operator. 
If they can’t run a decent shore ex operation they should just stop it totally 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Trouble is if you have obc or in our case it’s possibly a walk to connect to the viator operator. 
If they can’t run a decent shore ex operation they should just stop it totally 

Then it is clearly not the cruise line for your needs. I always found that the excursions offered by any cruise line are way too expensive and way to crowded, I like max 8-10 people groups and more active things in general.

Let me know how are the ports this week, I wanted to stay on board to visit souther turkey but the lady had to go back to the office...so we opted for the Venice Istanbul itinerary. But I thought the second week in Greece was a bit disappointing port wise, thanks god we spent 2 nights in Istanbul which is a stunning city.

6 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Then it is clearly not the cruise line for your needs. I always found that the excursions offered by any cruise line are way too expensive and way to crowded, I like max 8-10 people groups and more active things in general.

Let me know how are the ports this week, I wanted to stay on board to visit souther turkey but the lady had to go back to the office...so we opted for the Venice Istanbul itinerary. But I thought the second week in Greece was a bit disappointing port wise, thanks god we spent 2 nights in Istanbul which is a stunning city.

I have always been aware of the limitations of cruise line excursions. However there can be reasons to use them. I would agree that whilst we find the food to be great, overall this is not the line for us. It had such potential but there is too much not hitting an appropriate spot for the per day costs. 
Today we are in Bodrum. The shuttle went to a commercial shopping area every hour. We went a walk in the opposite direction- very pleasant but nothing special 

IMG_6841.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobothecruiser said:

Hello uktog.  Do you know how / where to get a half-decent cup of tea on this ship?

Tricky one - certainly not the Afternoon Tea in the Explora Lounge!  Actually we find that whole anfter tea experience mediocre, wrong scone cream and over pretentiousness in the serving. Much prefer the Viking tiered stands which emulates all the good hotel afternoon tea experiences in UK where the concept originated 

Crema is marginally better and at least try and adjust but the water is lukewarm. I’ve found the best is what I make in the room albeit sometimes using two bags but boiling water. . 

Likewise the coffee in the Emporium Fils Rouge, Med Yacht etc is so weak and cold. For breakfast we go via crema and take a to go, in the evening we move there for our end of dinner coffee. The coffee maker in the room is useless. At best it gives you half a cup, the water presets are all wrong! 

On 9/21/2024 at 12:51 PM, Marmaduke said:

Does Heike (former Hotel Director on Azamara) still work for Explora ?  I can't imagine these fiascos happening on her watch.

I can now give you a fuller answer because I couldn’t say earlier. She resigned a few weeks ago. You are so right hers was a very different watch but there are only so many battles you can engage in I suspect 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

I can now give you a fuller answer because I couldn’t say earlier. She resigned a few weeks ago. You are so right hers was a very different watch but there are only so many battles you can engage in I suspect 

Wow!  This is not a good sign ..... she was very aware of our concerns.

One can only speculate on a narrative but you generally leave a job when you're unhappy for a variety of reasons.

Oh well, it's Silversea's gain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uktog said:

We have asked for our drinks hotter - not an unreasonable request as it’s lukewarm but the machines have limiters 

Our room host confirmed the full cup (not espresso size) on the machine has a problem and they have been adjusted they cannot be reset. 

I’m not looking for a personal yacht, that’s an over reaction - though from some of the demands we overhear in the restaurant several are - there’s only around 500 onboard so adjustments should be possible. Hot water and stronger tea are basic things I can get no problem on brands like Azamara and Viking as well as MSC Yacht Club. So given the per day rate on Explora I would have expected at least the same. 

You surely know more about the operation on the ship than any other guests.

Still if they warm up the coffe cups with hot water before serving it will stay warmer for longer (even if not hot enough for you). Patrick seems like a very nice person (crema caffè) I am sure he can find ways to make it more to your liking 

It was Patrick that explained about the limiters on their machine and our stateroom attendant who explained about the cabin machine - because I asked. That’s how I know things - I am one who asks so I understand decisions 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Wow!  This is not a good sign ..... she was very aware of our concerns.

One can only speculate on a narrative but you generally leave a job when you're unhappy for a variety of reasons.

Oh well, it's Silversea's gain.

She makes the second person who left since start up..different areas but this concerns me.also means FB will follow her.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

It was Patrick that explained about the limiters on their machine and our stateroom attendant who explained about the cabin machine - because I asked. That’s how I know things - I am one who asks so I understand decisions 

You should be hired as their quality control expert 🙂

Still in the grand scheme of things a slightly colder coffè and no Pastel de Belem are not a big deal. Itineraries, Excursions and wine are a big thing since that's why we travel, to see new things, live new experiences, meet like minded people and have a good meal with new friends over a nice bottle of wine.

I am sure they are aware of their shortcomings by now, it is up to them to decide what to do about it. 

But for me it is gonna be difficult to go back to Seabourn or Silversea after Explora, food, coffee and ship design are so good...

3 hours ago, uktog said:

She told me she was offered a good position on land and decided to take it, I guess you can't spend all your life on a ship after all...did she mention other reason to you?

9 minutes ago, Khareef said:

She told me she was offered a good position on land and decided to take it, I guess you can't spend all your life on a ship after all...did she mention other reason to you?

She has taken a position at sea with Silverseas 

• Like 1