Premium wifi question

Illbcruzn4life

1 hour ago, LocutusOfBorg said:

If you're using RCS for texts (Both sender and receiver need to have it enabled), then yes. RCS is Android/Google's version of iMessage. Both work on the Premium plan.

Thanks. I had no idea what rcs was so looked it up. I found that rcs will be implemented by apple is ios 18 so I guess the answer is no, you can’t tect to people with android phones with the premium package. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. 😊

I text with my mom and daughter on every cruise through WiFi. I have Google Fi and my mom and daughter have Verizon. My phone is a Pixel and theirs are Samsung. 

My phone is in airplane mode connected to Carnival WiFi on the premium plan. It has worked for us this way for the last couple of years on several different ships. 

I think the deciding factor is if you're phone can do WiFi texting.

1 hour ago, Oletruckdude said:

I text with my mom and daughter on every cruise through WiFi. I have Google Fi and my mom and daughter have Verizon. My phone is a Pixel and theirs are Samsung. 

My phone is in airplane mode connected to Carnival WiFi on the premium plan. It has worked for us this way for the last couple of years on several different ships. 

I think the deciding factor is if you're phone can do WiFi texting.

I think that is  where the problem comes in. I have iphone and the other person has android.  Im not too savvy with phone technology. 

6 hours ago, eileen11 said:

Last cruise, a few months ago, O was able to text I Phone to I Phone without a plan. Is this still possible?

iPhone to iPhone — yes.  iPhone to android (or vice versa) — no.  

You can download WhatsApp and use that on the ship’s WiFi.  Also works if someone from home needs to reach you.

51 minutes ago, PrincessPatti said:

iPhone to iPhone — yes.  iPhone to android (or vice versa) — no.  

You can download WhatsApp and use that on the ship’s WiFi.  Also works if someone from home needs to reach you.

Texting between IPhones is a bug, not a feature. It doesn't necessarily work on all ships on all cruises. 

Found this on an apple board.

"You would need to be using some other online based messaging service such as Skype, Whatsapp, or FB messenger to message Android devices over Wifi."

so if you know who you will want to text, you should be able to each install an app in advance and text each other.

13 hours ago, nyonefivetwo said:

If WiFi calling is enabled on your phone, you'll be able to regular send text messages (regardless of phone type) while on Airplane Mode, connected to the wifi onboard. Just be sure to enable the feature while you're still on cellular service before you set sail!

Not according to the searches that I did, apparently Apple uses a completely different system which isn't compatible.