Complimentary rain jacket Alaska

We are cruising Alaska with Seabourn in June next year. We can't find much detail on the complimentary rain jacket - is it just a rain jacket or is it one of these 3 in 1 styles with a removable thin insulating layer?  Would be very grateful if any Alaska cruisers from this year could advise and/or kindly post a close up photo. We would just like to understand whether we will need to take any other jackets/coats. Thank you

The jacket has varied in recent years--last year it was a lighter weight kind-of tailored style black jacket (unless you traded it in for one of the leftover bright blue more sporty style with built-in/not removable fleece liner from the previous year). I believe this year it was back to the bright blue bulkier jackets, perhaps with the ability to trade in for any black leftovers from the previous year. 

You won't know for sure what kind of jacket will be provided until Seabourn sends you a link to order yours several weeks before you sail. And even then, you might have the option to trade yours in for any leftovers from prior years (though maybe this is less likely given that it won't be the Odyssey next year). 

• Like 2

Currently on Odyssey just having left Alaska. It is a bright blue HH with orange trim with no inner lining and has a hood. Though I have seen some people with a black HH jacket so not sure about the lining in that. I have found it better than the lined jacket I received in 2017. 

I am from a hot climate but have found this jacket with one layer of a warm shirt, a beanie and leather gloves quite sufficient in temps in the low 50sF.

The sizing runs a bit small so I had to size I from a S to M to comfortably fit a warm shirt under.

• Like 1

Here’s a drawing of the 2024 Helly Hansen jacket; we were also on in 2023 and got the black jacket made by Storm Creek with a minimal lining, which is the one we kept/preferred. Hard to say who they will go with for 2025, but both years we saw had very good quality, and easy exchange in ther Grand Salon on the first day if you need a different size.  This blue one (2024) was better insulated than 2023, which was mainly wind/water proof while breathable.  

Also, from what we observed people doing kayak or Zodiak excursions were outfitted with outerwear as part of those excursions (onboard before starting off).  We did the catamaran excursion which didn’t need anything more than jackets, but if we were more adventurous I feel like we would have been taken care of (but worth checking into).

IMG_0814.jpeg.741a5d06c073aa647cb87a9164d72d69.jpeg

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Here’s a drawing of the 2024 Helly Hansen jacket

johng75370's jacket is what I received on our July 2024 Odyssey cruise. The hood could be rolled and concealed in a bulky collar, but was not detachable. The jacket was described as waterproof, breathable and guaranteed. The inside is mostly mesh lined, the collar and pockets are flannel. It is a nice jacket, might keep me warm to the freezing point with a wool sweater under it.

The chest pocket is the greatest innovation ever, perfect place for a cell phone (provided you are right handed).

I regretted accepting the jacket. The colors are too garish for me and I do not do logo wear. I wore a similar black Gore-tex jacket and donated the Helly Hansen jacket.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Earthtones said:

The jacket has varied in recent years--last year it was a lighter weight kind-of tailored style black jacket (unless you traded it in for one of the leftover bright blue more sporty style with built-in/not removable fleece liner from the previous year). I believe this year it was back to the bright blue bulkier jackets, perhaps with the ability to trade in for any black leftovers from the previous year. 

You won't know for sure what kind of jacket will be provided until Seabourn sends you a link to order yours several weeks before you sail. And even then, you might have the option to trade yours in for any leftovers from prior years (though maybe this is less likely given that it won't be the Odyssey next year). 

Thank you @Earthtones for the advice. As you say we will know more about 2025 season jacket nearer the time but it's useful to have an idea of what they offer. 

14 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Currently on Odyssey just having left Alaska. It is a bright blue HH with orange trim with no inner lining and has a hood. Though I have seen some people with a black HH jacket so not sure about the lining in that. I have found it better than the lined jacket I received in 2017. 

I am from a hot climate but have found this jacket with one layer of a warm shirt, a beanie and leather gloves quite sufficient in temps in the low 50sF.

The sizing runs a bit small so I had to size I from a S to M to comfortably fit a warm shirt under.

Thank you @frantic36 - that's really helpful, especially your experience on the sizing. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

13 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Here’s a drawing of the 2024 Helly Hansen jacket; we were also on in 2023 and got the black jacket made by Storm Creek with a minimal lining, which is the one we kept/preferred. Hard to say who they will go with for 2025, but both years we saw had very good quality, and easy exchange in ther Grand Salon on the first day if you need a different size.  This blue one (2024) was better insulated than 2023, which was mainly wind/water proof while breathable.  

Also, from what we observed people doing kayak or Zodiak excursions were outfitted with outerwear as part of those excursions (onboard before starting off).  We did the catamaran excursion which didn’t need anything more than jackets, but if we were more adventurous I feel like we would have been taken care of (but worth checking into).

IMG_0814.jpeg.741a5d06c073aa647cb87a9164d72d69.jpeg

@johng75370 Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - this is all really useful information. Very much appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, whogo said:

johng75370's jacket is what I received on our July 2024 Odyssey cruise. The hood could be rolled and concealed in a bulky collar, but was not detachable. The jacket was described as waterproof, breathable and guaranteed. The inside is mostly mesh lined, the collar and pockets are flannel. It is a nice jacket, might keep me warm to the freezing point with a wool sweater under it.

The chest pocket is the greatest innovation ever, perfect place for a cell phone (provided you are right handed).

I regretted accepting the jacket. The colors are too garish for me and I do not do logo wear. I wore a similar black Gore-tex jacket and donated the Helly Hansen jacket.

Thank you @whogo. This is very helpful. Hopefully the chest pocket you describe will carry over to 2025 season design - it will save me having to get a dry bag/phone holder