Formal Nights

lido1

If your itinerary is more than 16 days - most likely there will be a formal [optional] night.  If the itinerary is shorter than 16 days or is a B2B consisting of 15 day legs or shorter sections - most likely not.   

Edited by daetchief
Clarity

The threshold for "Formal Optional" (FA) nights is 16 nights on the ship. Not 15, and a wake-up.  

Our next upcoming Grandeur January '2025 segment--L.A. via Panama Canal to Miami--is 16 nights on the ship.

Unless there has been a very recent change, there will be two FA's.  First, on second night (Captain's Reception); second on penultimate night (Captain's Farewell and "Crew Capers" show).  Such nights will be noted on the Itinerary page of Regent's Final Cruise Summary document you will receive about 30 days, or less, from sailing date.  

GOARMY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully, the days of having to pack (and wear) a Tux has passed.

My opinion: "Formal Optional" designation is made these days to permit folks to dress formally on such nights without being thought of as odd.

• Like 1

We’re on a 19 night cruise on Splendor now. As noted, 2 formal nights scheduled. During the first formal night more men had jackets and ties than on a non formal night -  normally about half the men wear jackets and essentially no ties for non formal nights. 
Women seem to dress well no matter the night, although maybe a bit more glitz on the formal nights. 

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Out of interest what would people wear? Long frock or cocktail dress be ok? Suit and tie or black tie? My upcoming cruise is 7 nights so not relevant but like my grandma I’m nosy! 🤣

Sort of depends on itinerary.  Seems to me that itineraries like Caribbean or South Pacific are less formal.  Generally you see the entire range from polo shirts to tuxes. I carry a gray sport coat and have a complimentary gray pants, white or blue shirt, and tie.  Looks similar to a suit but isn't.  My days of carrying a tux have ended so a sport coat works as I can use it multiple times on the cruise and can wear it on the plane to save luggage weight. I have always felt dressed "formal enough," but really no one notices unless you're "dressed to the nines" and then people will notice how good you look.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My rule of thumb is that I will try to wear the sports coat and tie on the nights when the ship's officers line up for a more formal greeting such as the Captain's Welcome, the Captain's Farewell, and some of the SS Society functions.  I would also pullout the coat for some holidays and celebrations within the travel group.  The nice thing is that I can still fit in wearing the regular cloths.